i say its "6"
Mine works fine software wise, but when you actually get in the car and use it, it sucks really bad. I have tried it hooked to normal antenna and car antenna. Still sucks. Its grounded correctly to car antenna, so don't think thats it. Maybe rate your reception on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being "attached to the radio tower itself" and 1 being "reception would be better on the moon with only teeth braces to pick up the signal"
Get MediaEngine !!!
Media Engine Download
5, ok for strong stations, nonfunctional for weak. (using radiator drivers and car ant.) Repeated searching (scan forward) will bluescreen XP pro.
I've used mine with some success, although the reception could be better. Having said that, I paid very little attention to adequately shielding the cable, so it's no real surprise that it was shocking.
There have been other threads on this device and issue that suggest very careful cabling, shielding and terminating can result in acceptable reception.
I don't understand the need for heavy use of the scan button - I have all the stations that I am interested in set up on my station list in radiator.
Sure it's not a fix for the BSOD issues you have, but it might be a sufficiently elegant workaround.
Mine seems to work fairly well, though I've ditched the d-link attenna in favour of patching into the cars attenna system ($1.50 for the car antenna extension cable at Rat-Shack, and 15 minutes of cutting and soldering - plug&play when I got it into the car!).
I would rate the DLink reception as 5, only strong stations come in and even they have static. I have the antenna connected to my car antenna.
I've heard of good reception using these (and I can't recall who it was). Achieved by desoldering the RCA connector from the board, placing the board in a shielded enclosure, and running cables off the board directly to the antenna lead.
When mine goes back in the new car, I'll be doing some experimenting.