Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Using ME With XP Embedded

  1. #1
    Newbie Dr Frag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26

    Using ME With XP Embedded

    Hi guys, I'm building my Mobile Media Player (carputer) and am checking out Windows XP Embedded. I've got a decent build going but ME gives me the following error after initial setup even though I installed MDAC 2.8 and MP9.

    11/12/2003 12:10:54 PM - An error occured in modDB.InitDB : Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126 (Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)). : Error number -2147467259

    If anyone has any idea what other component I might need to install into my XP Embedded build to fix this please let me know.

    Thanx a bunch,
    Dr Frag
    BTW, I hope to be using one of these.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate SiGmA_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    636
    Few questions, none of which have anything to do with ME What type of system are you using? How fast is the WinXP Embedded boot up? Where do you get WinXP Embedded?

    Also, that LCD is great, I love mine. The price sucks, but oh well the quality is great but its not all that bright. Works for me, but some people complain. I reccomend it based on my use of it, in a semi-shaded area, that will soon have tinted windows.
    1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

  3. #3
    Newbie Dr Frag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26
    Few questions, none of which have anything to do with ME What type of system are you using? How fast is the WinXP Embedded boot up? Where do you get WinXP Embedded?

    Currently I'm testing with a K6-2 550MHz/128MB. Startup time to desktop including BIOS mem test is less than 40 seconds. As compaired to a full install of XP Pro that takes about a minute. My goal was to put the OS and proggies on a 256MB CF card and the media files on a 80GB 2.5" removable drive but I don't know if WinXP Embedded is going to be worth the effort. Getting the right components in the build isn't easy and it's not that much faster so I think I might ditch the idea. You can get an evaluation version here. It is fun to play around with though.

    Also, that LCD is great, I love mine. The price sucks, but oh well the quality is great but its not all that bright. Works for me, but some people complain. I reccomend it based on my use of it, in a semi-shaded area, that will soon have tinted windows.

    Actually I think I'm going to go for the Lilliput screen after reading the posts round here.

    DF

  4. #4
    I'm sorry, and you are....? frodobaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    8,846
    You are going to get a slower boot with that flash card than you will with a hard drive.

    However, the risk for corrupting you install may be less.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

  5. #5
    Newbie Dr Frag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26
    Yeah, I've been looking at read/write times for even the fastest CF cards and I think a laptop HD can still beat'em.

    I have a 12GB laptop HD that I've been testing with and I think I'll just mount that inside with the OS on it and mount the 80 gigger so I can pull it out easily and plug it into my desktop for file management.

    I'll check out XP Media Center Edition if I can gets me a copy.

    DF

  6. #6
    FLAC Skraggy_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Warrington UK
    Posts
    1,484
    If you carry on, and get embedded workign with ME, I would be impressed, and quite honestly very happy.

    Can you tell me, did you get any issues installed MP9 on XPe?

    I've been told by some embedded developers that native MP9 won't happen until XPe SP2, that might be your problem.

    Also have you tried adding XPpro SP2 to the mix, or would that bloat your build too far?
    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate phat_bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    St.Louis, MO
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Frag
    Hi guys, I'm building my Mobile Media Player (carputer) and am checking out Windows XP Embedded. I've got a decent build going but ME gives me the following error after initial setup even though I installed MDAC 2.8 and MP9.

    11/12/2003 12:10:54 PM - An error occured in modDB.InitDB : Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126 (Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)). : Error number -2147467259
    Don't think you need anything else installed for ADO to work. It looks like you have another instance of the DB_UPDATE.exe running simultaneously, and you shouldn't. http://support.microsoft.com/default...40&Product=ado

    If you would, look in task manager and see if you have more than one DB_UPDATE.exe process running when you launch M/E. There is really no time when the main executable should be trying to read from the database while it's being read / written to from the update executable, so I don't think the solution M$ suggested will do anything for your case.

    This would be easier to test if we had a working XPE box, but we've not had much luck with the eval kit and we feel our time is better spent concentrating on what most people have accessible to them. I would love to get it work on that platform, however.
    '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

    FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
    WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
    350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

  8. #8
    Newbie Dr Frag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Skraggy_uk
    If you carry on, and get embedded workign with ME, I would be impressed, and quite honestly very happy.

    Can you tell me, did you get any issues installed MP9 on XPe?

    I've been told by some embedded developers that native MP9 won't happen until XPe SP2, that might be your problem.

    Also have you tried adding XPpro SP2 to the mix, or would that bloat your build too far?
    Actually MP9 installed fine on several builds so far and seems to work okay.

    I didn't know Service Pack 2 was out so I haven't tried it. But yes that prolly would expand the build size.

    DF

  9. #9
    Newbie Dr Frag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_bastard
    Don't think you need anything else installed for ADO to work. It looks like you have another instance of the DB_UPDATE.exe running simultaneously, and you shouldn't. http://support.microsoft.com/default...40&Product=ado

    If you would, look in task manager and see if you have more than one DB_UPDATE.exe process running when you launch M/E. There is really no time when the main executable should be trying to read from the database while it's being read / written to from the update executable, so I don't think the solution M$ suggested will do anything for your case.

    This would be easier to test if we had a working XPE box, but we've not had much luck with the eval kit and we feel our time is better spent concentrating on what most people have accessible to them. I would love to get it work on that platform, however.
    Hmm, when I launch M/E the following pops up in Task Manager:
    AppKiller.exe
    DB_UPDATE.exe
    mediaengine.exe
    WMP_EXE.exe

    I couldn't get MCE to boot until I installed XP on another drive an ran their tap.exe tool to get a more accurate hardware listing. Then I imported that list and selected the Information Appliance template and created a build. Now I'm trimming and adding components to make a more user friendly and smaller system.

    DF

  10. #10
    FLAC Skraggy_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Warrington UK
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Frag
    Actually MP9 installed fine on several builds so far and seems to work okay.

    I didn't know Service Pack 2 was out so I haven't tried it. But yes that prolly would expand the build size.

    DF
    I believe it is Beta, and may even only be leaked.
    MS appear to be confused as to wether it will ever be final, or only a beta to the Next windows version.
    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •