Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: What TV Tuner/FM tuner/GPS do you recommend

  1. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    53
    the downside with the d-link DSB-R100(the discontinuted one) is that the reception kinda sucks... i have been testing it at my desk at work for a while now. i can only reach 2 or 3 stations when my co-workers normal radio(in car) could reach 30 or so.

    just a FYI

  2. #12
    Maximum Bitrate clean customs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by SilVert
    the downside with the d-link DSB-R100(the discontinuted one) is that the reception kinda sucks... i have been testing it at my desk at work for a while now. i can only reach 2 or 3 stations when my co-workers normal radio(in car) could reach 30 or so.

    just a FYI
    I hooked it up straight to my car antenna. I also got a antenna booster to go in the middle, and the signal is better then the head unit. Same thing with the XMPCR antenna, I bought an aftermarket one that goes outside the car, adn get perfect reception. You have to hack that thing up if you want to really use it.

    I don't know if any computer hardware has antenna worth a crap. I bought the Hauggage(however you spell it) FM/TV tuner, and it came with an antenna. I guess I could have run that in the inside, but it wasn't worth it, I have it in the trunk right now getting horrible reception. I haven't decided which one to go with to finish hooking it up cleanly to the car antenna. I have a car antenna that is in the back window though, and easy to hook with two wires. Its all about how far you want to go, and if you want to make your stuff unsuitable for sale.
    later,
    Kenny
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

  3. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by clean customs
    I hooked it up straight to my car antenna. I also got a antenna booster to go in the middle, and the signal is better then the head unit. Same thing with the XMPCR antenna, I bought an aftermarket one that goes outside the car, adn get perfect reception. You have to hack that thing up if you want to really use it.

    I don't know if any computer hardware has antenna worth a crap. I bought the Hauggage(however you spell it) FM/TV tuner, and it came with an antenna. I guess I could have run that in the inside, but it wasn't worth it, I have it in the trunk right now getting horrible reception. I haven't decided which one to go with to finish hooking it up cleanly to the car antenna. I have a car antenna that is in the back window though, and easy to hook with two wires. Its all about how far you want to go, and if you want to make your stuff unsuitable for sale.
    later,
    Kenny

    ki was thinking about that... but i wasent sure if that would work.

    so basically it would look like this:

    CarPC ---- D-link DSB R-100 ---- Booster ---- Antena
    is that correct? this will help me get that 1 step closer to my carPC setup. im still trying to figure out what i need to purchase....

    and since somebody stole my old headunit, i need it. maybe i can kick my own *** to get the parts now

  4. #14
    Maximum Bitrate clean customs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by SilVert
    ki was thinking about that... but i wasent sure if that would work.

    so basically it would look like this:

    CarPC ---- D-link DSB R-100 ---- Booster ---- Antena
    is that correct? this will help me get that 1 step closer to my carPC setup. im still trying to figure out what i need to purchase....

    and since somebody stole my old headunit, i need it. maybe i can kick my own *** to get the parts now
    Thats exactly what I was thinking and plan on doing. The booster cost me like $15, you have to hack it apart thought, along with the d-link. I really just want the two wires in and two wires out for each of them, solder them together. I have been told the inside of the D-Link is so small you can fit it inside the computer, and so is the the little card for the booster, and then just hook it up to the antenna. I can't imagine it not getting a good reception.
    Hope that helps, and I will be doing that physically today.
    K
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

  5. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    53
    please let me know how that goes... i would like to do that if that is the only way i can get reception with the USB devices... and the D-Link was cheap enough for me(free from a freind) if it dont work, it would suck, but atleast there wasent much invested on my side

  6. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    12
    I bougt the NetEasy D-Link DRU-R100 USB PC Radio at Ebay now.
    When I get it, I'll let you know.

  7. #17
    Maximum Bitrate clean customs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    500
    It worked perfectly, and I didn't use the booster at all. You just splice the wires that go to the antenna from the D-Link bottom. Actually, open that thing up, and you can stick the little board inside the computer if you want, and run the two wires from board that went to the antenna, to the stock car antenna, wherever that might be. If that doesn't work, let me know and I will buy that D-Link off of you no matter how bad you wripped it apart.
    good luck
    K
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

  8. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by clean customs
    It worked perfectly, and I didn't use the booster at all. You just splice the wires that go to the antenna from the D-Link bottom. Actually, open that thing up, and you can stick the little board inside the computer if you want, and run the two wires from board that went to the antenna, to the stock car antenna, wherever that might be. If that doesn't work, let me know and I will buy that D-Link off of you no matter how bad you wripped it apart.
    good luck
    K
    ll let me just double check we are talking about the D-Link DSB-R100?

    i took it out of the plastic shelll... im looking at it and i dont see any wires.. i see a RCA jack that is being used as the antena plug. i dont see any wires. now on teh bottom i do see some points that were sodered but they hold the rca jack onto the board....

    and i drive a mustang, dont know if the antenna plug is different but it is basically a coax cable(from what it looks like) that has a RCA looking plug on the end. that theretically would plug into it with no problems. no testing yet, lol

  9. #19
    Maximum Bitrate clean customs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    500
    That plug will not work with anything you have in your mustang, or any other car for that matter I think. It would be more trouble to run a plug from your antenna wire that matches the plug on the D-Link then its worth. The two spots where the plug solders to the board are the two points where you solder wires that will go to your antenna. You don't have to remove the plug or destroy it, you can just solder a wire to each point, and then if you don't like it, unsolder it and put it back together. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.
    later,
    Kenny
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

  10. #20
    Newbie a4jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    16

    Question

    So im guessing nothing other than a
    Dlink DSB-R100
    Dlink DRU-R100
    GemTek USB Radio 21
    Will work with the radio function in mediaengine?

    These things are as rare as hens teeth, i have looked everywhere. Is there a shop that still sells these(ie. not ebay)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Splitting one VGA to 3 LCD and TV output
    By lookinco in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 06:19 AM
  2. Please recommend in-dash TV monitor for my carPC
    By skorpiond in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 12:45 PM
  3. Epia 9000 Problem w/ TV Out
    By blazinlow in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 12:15 PM
  4. Low Profile TV Tuner/FM Card with Bracket
    By m3rdpwr in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 12:14 PM
  5. How I got TV in my Car (about antennas)
    By felix99 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2002, 05:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •