Ok, I thought i was being clever and I cleared the contents of the .lst files to remove the search history for artists and track titles. Now if I try to search for either of those in ME I get an error and it crashed out. Could someone send me a copy of searches_0.lst and searches_1.lst please, ideally fresh ones that have no searches in them.
I promise I won't fiddle any more

Ok, I'm officially dumb. I installed media engine on a different machine to copy over the lst files only to notice there weren't any. I then realised that the program looks to see if they exist and if they do, read them. Since mine existed but were empty it crashed with an eof error. I deleted them and it's fine now