Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Database Corruption?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    28

    Database Corruption?

    I've noticed that as my collection of music has grown significantly (I have over 18,300 MP3s, 80GB or so...) that it not only takes forever for the Database to build, there are significant gaps in importing the ID3 Tags to the tags.mbd file.

    I have figured out that you can open the database if you have MS Access and I've been working on correcting the information and adding new info to that file directly.

    Just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue!

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate phat_bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    St.Louis, MO
    Posts
    549
    What do you mean by 'gaps'. Are you sure your music doesn't just have crap ID3 tags?

    You can manually edit the database, but make sure you disable automatic rebuilds or your work will get wiped out the next time you add / remove a file in your collection.
    '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

    FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
    WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
    350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    28
    Trust me, I don't have crap ID3 Tags. I'm pretty anal about having the right info!

    When the problem first arose, albums that had previously been fine in ME started showing incorrect info (actual file name instead of ID3 tag) or the information just wasn't there (artist's name showing up as Unknown Artist on some songs on an album and not on others...), Track info being left out, etc...

    I then opened up the database file and found information was either simply not imported on some files or the incorrect information was shown (i.e. not the ID3 tags...)

    All I could guess is that once Access got over a certain size, it had issues. My friend is a Database Admin (Oracle) and had some experience in the past with Access and didn't speak highly of it.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate phat_bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    St.Louis, MO
    Posts
    549
    I highly doubt it has anything to do with jet (the underlying database engine used by access) or file corruption. While it is not the ideal enterprise level dbms, jet works well for flat tables with < 1 million records. I would double check your tags, especially for the files you're having problems with. The tag reader module may be choking on some of your tags causing it to have to guess based on the filenames. EagsOn! is one tool I like to use to retag music with. Also, try to use V2 tagging as they support longer tags and read slightly faster due to their placement at the head of the files.
    '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

    FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
    WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
    350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

Similar Threads

  1. put all info from mp3 cds in a database...
    By Raas in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 11:34 AM
  2. winamp lib database suport question
    By liquid_smoke in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 03:23 AM
  3. Smarter Database Algorithm...Listen To The DJ :)
    By Chita79 in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 08:55 PM
  4. Smarter Database Algorithm...Listen to the DJ :)
    By Chita79 in forum FrodoPlayer
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 08:45 PM
  5. Database build question
    By tmar89 in forum Media Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 12:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •