Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Feature Request: Fast Fix for GPS

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    55

    Feature Request: Fast Fix for GPS

    Coyote,

    Is there a way to make an option that allows the GPS to begin trying to establish a fix before you ever go to the GPS menu? That way as soon as you go in, it could already have a fix. I mean maybe it already does this and my receiver is just not great. Anyway, whenever you get a chance if you could comment on this.

  2. #2
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    I've got a feeling that they do this already.....the usb one's anyway. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the only thing that the computer or windows sends to the gps is the required voltage, which it must do on boot or windows wouldn't see the device.

    Mmmm, but do they start to look for sats before we open the port and read the data?? I may have to go for a drive... :-)

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Laidback
    I've got a feeling that they do this already.....the usb one's anyway. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the only thing that the computer or windows sends to the gps is the required voltage, which it must do on boot or windows wouldn't see the device.

    Mmmm, but do they start to look for sats before we open the port and read the data?? I may have to go for a drive... :-)
    Well from my testing, the GPS is dumb. It gets power and starts sending data. A software handler needs to be started and monitor the serial port and decode the messages. What I am asking for is if the GPS handler software that coyote uses can be started at the same time that mediacar loads.

  4. #4
    Raw Wave hijinks21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,803
    naw the com port needs to be opened in order to start the lock process
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by hijinks21
    naw the com port needs to be opened in order to start the lock process

    Is lock determined by software or by receiver?

  6. #6
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Got to be by receiver?? Software doesn't send anything as far as I know....just reads the strings I think!

  7. #7
    MediaCar Developer/Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by Laidback
    Got to be by receiver?? Software doesn't send anything as far as I know....just reads the strings I think!
    yes, all the USB GPS that I have tested try to lock directly after that it be alimented and begins to send the NMEA stream only when the com port is listened by a software.

    Listen to the port COM before will not change anything I think. When cold start, all GPS takes at least 40 seconds and don't waits to be listening to try to locks position.
    www.media-car.fr.st
    The first Belgian PC fully integrated in a car :)

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote
    yes, all the USB GPS that I have tested try to lock directly after that it be alimented and begins to send the NMEA stream only when the com port is listened by a software.

    Listen to the port COM before will not change anything I think. When cold start, all GPS takes at least 40 seconds and don't waits to be listening to try to locks position.
    Yeah basically I was thinking that if you could make an option to start listening when the program loads then I wouldn't have to go to GPS menu. By the time I start playing some mp3s and go to the GPS menu it may already have gotten lock.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate mp31023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    70

    Video Lan for Media Car / Media Engine media player

    Just a suggestion. Wouldn't it be a great idea to use VLC ( www.videolan.org ) as the video player for Media car/Medie Engine. You don't have to worry about Regions and it plays all different types of format?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •