Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: MindTool does it again: Scorpinum Skin

  1. #41
    Constant Bitrate mindtool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    142
    Here's my 2-cents worth on making money here. I'm a business/computer information systems student at Arizona State University right now mind y'all

    I reserve the right to make money off my part of my work but I cannot make money off coyote's product. That'd be illegal w/o his verbal/written permission but I'm not quite sure about the international copyright laws since coyote's located in Belgium and I'm located here in the US. But regardless of location, I would never make a dime off coyote's work. That's for him to decide. I don't want to burn down any bridges between me and coyote. We just work together to make a good skin and make his program more marketable to the carputer market.

    Only problem I see with coyote's software is his software doesn't have any type of license - he should be including a readme that states his software is licensed under the GPL which protects the software from being used for profit and having somebody reverse engineer it and sell it w/ another name on it.

    Also I have the right to choose to sell my services as a graphic designer to design an interface for any software without permission of the original author of the software itself. But I chose to provide the skins for free for the fact that I originally did them for myself and thought to myself why not share it with the rest of the world. But the only thing is I'm holding back the photoshop PSD files that created my skins.
    2006 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4L
    StreetDeck
    Project: [■■■■■■■■■-] 90% complete (reconfiguration phase)
    Status report:
    -Configuring and wiring the camera system

    http://www.necevil.com/gallery/index...el=album&id=20

  2. #42
    MediaCar Developer/Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by chut
    Hi coyote,
    is that link for donations on your website yet?
    Paypal link added yesterday
    www.media-car.fr.st
    The first Belgian PC fully integrated in a car :)

  3. #43
    FLAC chut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX. USA
    Posts
    1,375
    groovy, i'll go to it later today.
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

    Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

  4. #44
    MediaCar Developer/Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by mindtool
    Here's my 2-cents worth on making money here. I'm a business/computer information systems student at Arizona State University right now mind y'all

    I reserve the right to make money off my part of my work but I cannot make money off coyote's product. That'd be illegal w/o his verbal/written permission but I'm not quite sure about the international copyright laws since coyote's located in Belgium and I'm located here in the US. But regardless of location, I would never make a dime off coyote's work. That's for him to decide. I don't want to burn down any bridges between me and coyote. We just work together to make a good skin and make his program more marketable to the carputer market.

    Only problem I see with coyote's software is his software doesn't have any type of license - he should be including a readme that states his software is licensed under the GPL which protects the software from being used for profit and having somebody reverse engineer it and sell it w/ another name on it.

    Also I have the right to choose to sell my services as a graphic designer to design an interface for any software without permission of the original author of the software itself. But I chose to provide the skins for free for the fact that I originally did them for myself and thought to myself why not share it with the rest of the world. But the only thing is I'm holding back the photoshop PSD files that created my skins.

    I understand you

    You are also right. I should include GPL license information, do you have réference informations on how to make this correctly ?

    Thanks.
    www.media-car.fr.st
    The first Belgian PC fully integrated in a car :)

  5. #45
    FLAC chut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX. USA
    Posts
    1,375
    Hey Coyote!
    I just donated to your paypal account for the program MediaCar. Thank you very much for the software, it does make using the BMW much friendlier. Hope I was the first!
    Take Care,
    Peter
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

    Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

  6. #46
    SMKFree liquid_smoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,842
    hey mindtool, i agree with you 100%
    I make art for a living (3d artist in the game industry)
    and although people usualy dont charge for skins (for any app) but i do know of one company that does because they do custom skins for MS, SONY and such.
    But if you can get paid from your hard work, then do it.
    But if you are chargeing for the skin you should release the psd file. Although this isnt common practice to release source material for projects, its a skin and just a good gesture.

    As for your skin, the Scorpinum is cool, but the button placement makes it a little cluttered. If you lined them up at the bottom or something it would look cleaner so you see more of the background but still have easy button access.

  7. #47
    MediaCar Developer/Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by chut
    Hey Coyote!
    I just donated to your paypal account for the program MediaCar. Thank you very much for the software, it does make using the BMW much friendlier. Hope I was the first!
    Take Care,
    Peter
    thanks you very much !

    You are not the first but the second
    www.media-car.fr.st
    The first Belgian PC fully integrated in a car :)

  8. #48
    FLAC chut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX. USA
    Posts
    1,375
    craap!



    Quote Originally Posted by coyote
    thanks you very much !

    You are not the first but the second
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

    Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

  9. #49
    Newbie SuperSonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    30
    Just wanted to take a moment to say that your skins look stunning mindtool!

    Great job for a great piece of code

    Thanks a lot!!

  10. #50
    FLAC chut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX. USA
    Posts
    1,375
    Hi Tool,
    Would it be very difficult for you to produce fireskull and scorpinum in 640 X 480. Thats what I run my screen at....(old eyes) What do you think?
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

    Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •