- For advanced hobbyists
- Do-it yourself
- Any Lilliput 4 wire screen
- All mounting parts included
- Over 100 Make & Models
- Customized for your vehicle
- Mimics pre-installed
- Easiest to get started
- For use in vehicles with
- standard double DIN-sized
- radio openings
- Mimics pre-installed
Here's how it works: The touch interface is interpreted by the module and transmitted via Bluetooth to your iPhone. Genius! Now you can control your phone from the monitor! The Module draws power from the Lilliput monitor, and video is supplied to the monitor via the Apple HDMI dock connector (optional). Audio is supplied to your aftermarket amplifier* via the 3.5mm jack on your iPhone (optional). Choose the Mimics Cable Option and we'll give you all of the necessary cables needed to get video and audio out from your phone and be able to charge while driving.
Made specifically for your vehicle, Mimics Dash is engineered to be an easy install (or have your local car stereo shop do it for you):
1. Remove your existing dash panel
2. Install the Mimics Dash
3. Install an aftermarket amplifier* of your choice
4. Connect the Mimics Cable kit and you're ready to go
- AM/FM Radio
- Call your friends
- Play / Pause any music
- Create genius playlists
- Auto dim music
- Voice turn-by-turn
- Hundres of GPS options
- Touch friendly UI
- Flick to scroll
- Intelligent keyboard
- Hands free calling
- Call using voice control
- Touch friendly UI
- At a glance email
- Alerts for new mail
- Touch friendly UI
- Get live MPGs
- Record GPS tracks
- Reset check engine light
|Mimics Module||Mimics Frame||Mimics Dash|
|Access to millions of iPhone apps at the tip of your finger in your dash|
|Fits into standard Double Din Frame|
|Customized to fit your specific vehicle|
|Select iPhone Select Android||Select iPhone Select Android||Select iPhone Select Android|
BALTIMORE, MD - May 19, 2011 - Mp3Car and customGadz have unveiled the Mimics Dash. Mimics allows jailbreakers to control their iPhone 4 via a 7" touch screen monitor in their vehicle. Customers can now have unrestricted access to all of their personal content, applications, and media—in the dash of their car. The end result is a transformation of any iPhone 4 into a top-of-the-line car stereo navigation unit.
Mimics eliminates the need for expensive items generally required for accomplishing what an iPhone already does—navigation, vehicle applications, music, and more. The Mimics allows users to operate their phone through their dash-installed monitor rather than dangerously and awkwardly fumbling with their phone directly in order to access content and applications. This also presents new opportunities in the development world. "In-car innovation has grown at a snail's pace compared to consumer electronics. Developers have avoided the car due to a lack of a common platform and regulatory hurdles. This blows open the flood gates for mobile phone developers that want to start building application for the car," says Robert Wray, CEO of mp3Car.
Mimics technology is the product of ongoing collaborative efforts between innovation specialists at mp3Car and one of its community members, customGadz. The original solution was developed and created by customGadz, who had devised a way of controlling an iPhone via a 7" touch screen monitor. Intrigued by the idea, mp3Car initiated its Innovator Accelerator Program, a process that fine-tunes product features, marketing plans, and customer support procedures by leveraging a decade of emerging technology experience and a global community of mp3Car innovators. Mp3Car and customGadz have decided to release the product in its early stages in order to gain more feedback and inspire further software and hardware innovations. "The potential to ignite a new wave of telematics innovation is mind blowing. We're really looking forward to engaging the Auto App Mart and mp3Car community to continue the evolution of this product line" says David Mathews of customGadz.
Mimics is now available for pre-order on the mp3Car store starting at $205 USD and will ship on June 30th. Due to a few minor limitations listed on mp3Car's product page, the Mimics is still being referred to as a hobbyist product designed for jailbreakers and developers willing to put up with the pains of early adoption. In-car demos for press can be scheduled in Baltimore by e-mailing email@example.com or by calling our press team at 410-526-2852 xt 302
About mp3Car.com Mp3Car.com is home to the largest car computing community online, hosting well over 100,000 members worldwide. Today it is the largest automotive application development community, and its members have been developing auto apps for over ten years. The community advances telematics innovation by allowing for collaboration on major technical challenges and product development. For example, mp3Car has created the Auto App Mart, the largest automotive application developer community in the world. Auto App Mart helps drivers to be more productive and better entertained while on the road.
About customGadz customGadz is a company owned by mp3Car community member David Mathews. David is a serial inventor living in Act Canberra, Australia, who has previously brought the automotive community products under the name CivicModz.
We are working on brining Mimics to Android. The Android community is growing every day, and the Andorid app developers are some of the most innovative developers for the auto app community. If you would like to be notified as soon as it becomes available, please leave your information below. Note we will not add your email to any other mailing list.
Mimics is a hobbyist grade product. Its installation and use may require some technical skills and abilities on the part of the customer. While each installation and use application differs, most require significant customization, including but not limed to hardware/ software configuration, the purchase, installation and use of additional products not included (amplifier, cabling, etc), and substantial reconfiguration of the mobile device interfacing with Mimics. These standards for compatibility change regularly and without warning; we are unable to guarantee continued compatibility with future software, firmware, and hardware updates that are not released for your mobile device.
Additionally, while mp3Car stands behind the products that we sell and always aspire to offer the most up-to-date and effective technical support for all our products, we also want customers to be aware that we are not responsible for complications that arise due to the installation and use of Mimics. We are not liable for damages done to life or property as a result of this product's use, nor are we responsible for any damages incurred through its installation. Mp3Car is also not responsible for any Mimics-related actions that may be in violation of local, state, or national laws, such as the operation of a touch screen while operating a motor vehicle.
For additional information in what type of customization is required for Mimics, please consult the product's documentation. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact mp3Car for clarification.
Through its purchase, the customer recognizes these product limitations, particularly in this phase of development that could be considered early or 'beta,' and agrees to policies outlined in this disclaimer. We appreciate your understanding of the issues surrounding this new and very exciting product.
As such, the Mimics has these known problems. Mp3Car will not honor returns for the following issues:
1. Mimics requires the use of a Cydia app called Display Out. Screen flickering has been observed on occasion and has been attributed to this app. In order to fix this issue, one must go into the Display Out settings and switch the display resolution from 640 x 480 to a different setting and then back to 640 x 480. Additionally, flickering can sometimes be fixed by unplugging the dock connector and reconnecting it to your iPhone.
2. Currently, the Mimics will display the same image as your phone. Landscape apps will appear in landscape mode on your screen only if your phone is held in landscape. Portrait apps will appear sideways. An app called "Landscape Lock" can help with this problem by locking an app that has both landscape and portrait modes in landscape. This app will not help with apps that only have portrait mode.
3. Incoming callers will sound clear through your car speakers. However, incoming callers to your phone will hear an echoing of their voice when speaking to you. Noise canceling apps have not shown to help remedy this problem.
4. Bluetooth headset pairing is not possible with Mimics. Mimics pairs with your phone via Bluetooth and it is not possible to connect an additional headset when paired with Mimics.
5. With any external amplifier installation, it is important to note that noise can be introduced into your system. To avoid this, properly grounding all electronics in your vehicle including the new amplifier and Mimics is necessary. You may need to ground these devices directly to your battery and/or use ground loop isolators. You can read more about troubleshooting noise on our forums.
6. Jailbreaking your iPhone is required to use Mimics. If you're not familiar with this process, please try doing this before your order and install Mimics. Jailbreaking can require highly technical skills and a bit of research to complete the process successfully. If you're not comfortable jailbreaking your iPhone, please do not order Mimics. Mp3Car will not be held liable for problems that occur during this process or be able to help with technical support issues related to the jailbreaking process.
7. GPS seems to be less accurate, to about 3000 feet while the system is in use. Once disconnected, accuracy returns to normal.