Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: August 13, 2008 - Go Go Guru

  1. #21
    is back. FKA Robert Wray
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Fiberoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1978
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,419
    Blog Entries
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
    I noticed that the frequency response is listed as 500Hz-10kHz on the purchase page. Is this correct or is this a typo? I would be ok with the main speakers crossed over that high if I had a woofer, but if I didn't and had a nice set of components I'd probably want the full range to them.
    I am clarifying this with the amp manufacturer. I have been pretty happy with the sound. If you want to get really crazy on sound quality you could use the pre-amp outputs or use an add on sound card.

  2. #22
    is back. FKA Robert Wray
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Fiberoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1978
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,419
    Blog Entries
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Store Customer Question
    I have gone through the specifications of the Guru computer (product code:
    ccc-130), but am not able to make out how it would be better than the Infill
    G4.

    For starters, the Guru Computer has experimental written all over, no
    support etc etc. no proper manuals, honestly it all sounds a bit scary for a
    first carputer install. On the other hand the Infill has been installed and
    blogged all over the interent on various forums and has been tested and
    people are happy with its performance. The Infill also looks better
    according to me. It has a C7 processor for low power consumption. Whereas
    the Guru has a core 2 duo heavy power consumption processor. The price of
    the Guru is way higher than the Infill. I''m looking for a capacitive or SAW
    touch screen as opposed to the 4W resistive touch screen in the guru. I
    could be wrong about all the assumptions I have made.
    We are taking a much more conservative approach in regards to selling and positioning this product. We don't want people to get the impression this is a fully documented and software supported out of the box ready to go solution like you might get from pioneer.

    In my opinion, this is a far superior product to the Infill. It is faster, has the same or lower power consumption, the construction and engineering are superior, there are more accessories included by default, it has only crashed once in over 6 months of testing. The biggest drawback is that software support is not finished yet. Again, in my opinion, the strengths far out weigh the lack of software support.

    The guru is really so much better it is hard to draw a direct comparison. It is kind of like trying to describe the differences between a ~2002 year dell inspiron laptop and a modern day mac book pro.

    Quote Originally Posted by Store Customer Question
    Also please tell me if the infill is available or not, if not when would be
    available. Are there any other In-dash carputer kits which ya''ll have. 1
    very important requirement for me is the capacitive touch screen like th
    iphone. Please tell me if ya''ll can arrange that.
    The infill has been completely discontinued to lack of responsiveness from the factory and a severe drop in quality on the last production run.

    We don't sell any capacitive touch screens. To my knowledge they don't exist on consumer grade 7" VGA displays.

    There are several in dash screens on the store but nothing is "ready to go" like the guru.

  3. #23
    is back. FKA Robert Wray
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Fiberoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1978
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,419
    Blog Entries
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Store Customer Question[/b]] I see you guys are selling this unit (the Guru double din PC) as an "experimental" unit. Also in the description, it says there is no "front end" installed. Being somewhat new to car PCs in general, can you explain what that means? I take it from the description that it has something to do with the radio, correct? I see too that you mention that the programmable buttons "require software developer support", can you elaborate? For all of these features that are unimplemented, and/or require development work, do you have specifications, guides, manuals, or anything kind of documentation to help out? And lastly, do you know if this unit will work in a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
    Please see the last post for more details on why this marked as experimental.

    Examples of front ends would be Centrafuse, StreetDeck, and Roadrunner. There is a forum full of other options. Most front ends control all of the functions of your car computer through one software interface and have a suite of tools to allow developers to extend the functions of the core interface.

    "require software developer support" - means they won't work outside of the radio application until front end developers or members of the community add support for them.

    For your question about the Toyota FJ, you would need to carefully check the "Product Dimensions" listed in our product description.

    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Store Customer Question[/b]] Please note, I am a software engineer of over 20 years, very familiar with
    Windows software development at low levels, and I would be interested to
    know if there is enough information available to implement these missing
    features, if they are indeed missing. Please feel free to answer in detail,
    and don''t worry about talking over my head. Thanks, Ted
    We will soon be releasing SDKs and programing tools to software developers as part of our wiki. A lot of this documentation is included on the CD that ships with the unit. We hope to move this documentation online soon so developers can look at this before they buy.

  4. #24
    is back. FKA Robert Wray
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Fiberoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1978
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,419
    Blog Entries
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
    I noticed that the frequency response is listed as 500Hz-10kHz on the purchase page. Is this correct or is this a typo? I would be ok with the main speakers crossed over that high if I had a woofer, but if I didn't and had a nice set of components I'd probably want the full range to them.
    Here is the reply I got back. Let us know if you have more specific questions and we will try to clean up the audio specs:

    "The -3dB range will be 20~20 KHz for the main speakers."



  5. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    21
    Well I have to say I am interested in the Guru but like many others here I have been comparing it to the Azentek Atlas CPC-1000. They look identical from what I can tell. The CPC-1000 comes with its own functioning front end software (running Vista OS though) and has an available option of running CAN-BUS/OBD II directly into it from what I have read. Pricing is roughly the same or even less depending on where you find it.

    For the MP3CAR.COM staff, what are the pros and cons of the GURU vs the Atlas CPC-1000.

    Thanks

    Jason

  6. #26
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,169
    Blog Entries
    53
    CON: vista nuff said lol
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  7. #27
    is back. FKA Robert Wray
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Fiberoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1978
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,419
    Blog Entries
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by kb9kst View Post
    . Pricing is roughly the same or even less depending on where you find it.
    I think the only place people have been able to find the Atlas CPC-1000 is at trade shows so it is hard to do a direct comparison.

  8. #28
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    Question Bad Pricing for the Target Audience

    I understand you're getting "a lot" of hardware, but go look at the forums and the people who frequent the site you're selling this on.

    • No software besides windows and drivers
    • No support beyond hardware with a 30-45 day window and the hassles of intl support (if I read the product page correctly)
    • Targeted at labs etc... Would a lab really even consider paying that much for half a product?


    You seem confused on who you're targeting with this. I was hesitant on the Infill at a 2G price tag. You throw a pre-fab unit out here for 50% more and don't even include a front-end of any kind? I mean really can't you at least put an interface on there for the price? I'm fine with the no support, but go that extra distance at least.

    I have a 2005 Scion tC and when I first read about this I was psyched. But honestly, I'm not spending 3,000 for a product where, while to you it's a cautious approach, to me all you're saying is "good luck". I think you're really undermining people's confidence in your product by taking that approach. Think about it hard. If you're looking at labs etc as a target audience why would they spend this amount for what you're giving them?

    I apologize for the length and I'm really not bashing this product as I think it has huge promise. Quite honestly it hits everything I would be looking for with regards to ease of installation, port locations, etc. I think you do need to take a step back though and re-evaluate the wording and the little things you can include to make people less hesitant to take the plunge.

  9. #29
    Newbie dcheah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    5
    Yeah... this is a great product with lots of power, low on voltage consumption, sadly on for lab testing and not for the consumer.

    I think I will wait it out until everything is functioning which includes the front-end(s) & other buttons as well. I sure will like to have it but I'm not any software developer so there's no point buying a lab testing product & be a lab-rat. Just my POV as a consumer...
    Thanks & Regards,
    Daniel K.T. Cheah
    ([email protected])

  10. #30
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,169
    Blog Entries
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Brntmatch View Post
    I understand you're getting "a lot" of hardware, but go look at the forums and the people who frequent the site you're selling this on.

    • No software besides windows and drivers
    • No support beyond hardware with a 30-45 day window and the hassles of intl support (if I read the product page correctly)
    • Targeted at labs etc... Would a lab really even consider paying that much for half a product?


    You seem confused on who you're targeting with this. I was hesitant on the Infill at a 2G price tag. You throw a pre-fab unit out here for 50% more and don't even include a front-end of any kind? I mean really can't you at least put an interface on there for the price? I'm fine with the no support, but go that extra distance at least.

    I have a 2005 Scion tC and when I first read about this I was psyched. But honestly, I'm not spending 3,000 for a product where, while to you it's a cautious approach, to me all you're saying is "good luck". I think you're really undermining people's confidence in your product by taking that approach. Think about it hard. If you're looking at labs etc as a target audience why would they spend this amount for what you're giving them?

    I apologize for the length and I'm really not bashing this product as I think it has huge promise. Quite honestly it hits everything I would be looking for with regards to ease of installation, port locations, etc. I think you do need to take a step back though and re-evaluate the wording and the little things you can include to make people less hesitant to take the plunge.
    i can understand what you're saying.. but at this point i believe they're selling the guru for people who wish to have the hardware now. I'm all but certain down the road a front end will be selected... but rather than wait til then its available now for advanced users who wish to install there own choice in software/front end.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. August 12, 2008 - AutumnWave OnAir GT - In Car HDTV
    By vtecfelon23 in forum Mp3Car Blog Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 11:34 AM
  2. Indexing music in 1.0.9.8 Failed
    By hovalistic in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 12:19 PM
  3. Bug Reports
    By frodobaggins in forum FrodoPlayer
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 01:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •