Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 190

Thread: The iPad's role in your car?

  1. #91
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by justchat_1 View Post
    It was more a warning for other users then you...i figured you know what your doin.


    @all:
    So as an outside observer.....you need to jump through A LOT of hoops just to get functionality other phones ship with. I assume you already have an iPhone your just tryin to make the most of it. What I don't understand is knowing how (intentionally) crippled the devices are...why would you buy another bigger one??!
    I agree with you! In my posts I didnt mean cr@p, but crippled! Thats a much better word.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #92
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by justchat_1 View Post
    It was more a warning for other users then you...i figured you know what your doin.


    @all:
    So as an outside observer.....you need to jump through A LOT of hoops just to get functionality other phones ship with. I assume you already have an iPhone your just tryin to make the most of it. What I don't understand is knowing how (intentionally) crippled the devices are...why would you buy another bigger one??!
    One of the biggest reasons is the same reason people who know nothing about computers continue to buy Windows. The software selection is better. Plus the interface is a jewel. That's nothing to sneeze at.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  3. #93
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,161
    Also, when I bought mine, I didn't look at the software really.

    Nothing on the market could beat it on two very important counts:

    1. Browsing the web was unbelievable, easy to move around, pinch to zoom in/out, etc. Browsing on any other device with a comparable screen was cumbersome and very annoying, when not downright ugly and unreadable.

    2. The visual voice mail thing was so clever, it was worth it all by itself. Press "2" to repeat, "7" to delete, "9" to mark as read...WTF? I commend Apple for innovations like these.

  4. #94
    What can I say? I like serial. Curiosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florence Yall, BFKY
    Posts
    2,684
    No, people who are intimidated by technology buy Macs... with an extended warrantee

    The iPhone's popularity is mostly due to the apps, but the OS and hardware are the reason for that plus the capability to utilize it. The early adopters find the best platform and dig in if it can perform what's required. Obviously it can, even without jailbreaking. I can't say anything about the iPad, but the iPhone will continue to dominate for a long time. Majority always rules like it or not.

    But that whole point of needing to jailbreak it (or any hack for that matter) shows where it needs improvement and failed the consumer, and that the market could have been larger if that limitation weren't there. That's the ridiculous part of it.

  5. #95
    Antenna Engineer
    Auto Apps:loading...
    optikalefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    831
    Blog Entries
    86
    So, at least in my experience, people who are intimidated by technology don't know anything about it, therefore they think that windows is the only computer there. Actually Dell. If you ask someone who doesn't know any better what kind of computer they want, a lot of the time they didn't even know there was an alternative. To them, apple makes ipods.

    the iphone was dramatically popular before any apps. Remember the lines? That was all on the 1st gen, which didin't have apps. But very true, it will stay on top weather its the best device or not simply because its the majority.

    You don't need to jailbreak it. The majority of users are amazed by it as it. People like us jailbreak it get things that apple didn't think you needed. And normal people like that apple is controlling them, its techny people that are like 'WHOA, stay out of my device"

  6. #96
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by RipplingHurst View Post
    Also, when I bought mine, I didn't look at the software really.

    Nothing on the market could beat it on two very important counts:

    1. Browsing the web was unbelievable, easy to move around, pinch to zoom in/out, etc. Browsing on any other device with a comparable screen was cumbersome and very annoying, when not downright ugly and unreadable.

    2. The visual voice mail thing was so clever, it was worth it all by itself. Press "2" to repeat, "7" to delete, "9" to mark as read...WTF? I commend Apple for innovations like these.
    And yet visual voicemail was invented WAY before apple pushed it....they didn't invent any of it-just borrowed. Web browsing when the iphone was released was innovative but now every multi-touch device can do that...so why would those be considered features that sets an ipad apart?!?! (and i know that wasn't what you were saying...just jumping back to my original question)

    Quote Originally Posted by optikalefx View Post
    So, at least in my experience, people who are intimidated by technology don't know anything about it, therefore they think that windows is the only computer there. Actually Dell. If you ask someone who doesn't know any better what kind of computer they want, a lot of the time they didn't even know there was an alternative. To them, apple makes ipods.

    the iphone was dramatically popular before any apps. Remember the lines? That was all on the 1st gen, which didin't have apps. But very true, it will stay on top weather its the best device or not simply because its the majority.

    You don't need to jailbreak it. The majority of users are amazed by it as it. People like us jailbreak it get things that apple didn't think you needed. And normal people like that apple is controlling them, its techny people that are like 'WHOA, stay out of my device"
    When the 1st gen ipod was released it had no competition. There was an entire generation (3rd or 4th if i remember right) that were defective from the factory but since that was the only option people had to choose it.

    Normal people like being told "the device could do this but we think your too stupid to use it so we disabled it"???? Wow the brainwashing does work...
    Do you not see the huge difference between "what apple thinks you need" and "what a consumer wants"? The latter should be effecting their design decisions and yet through great marketing they advertise all the devices flaws as "features".
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
    No, people who are intimidated by technology buy Macs... with an extended warrantee

    The iPhone's popularity is mostly due to the apps, but the OS and hardware are the reason for that plus the capability to utilize it. The early adopters find the best platform and dig in if it can perform what's required. Obviously it can, even without jailbreaking. I can't say anything about the iPad, but the iPhone will continue to dominate for a long time. Majority always rules like it or not.

    But that whole point of needing to jailbreak it (or any hack for that matter) shows where it needs improvement and failed the consumer, and that the market could have been larger if that limitation weren't there. That's the ridiculous part of it.
    Exactly! Only point i'll disagree on is that even apple has realized the iphone will not dominate much longer. They're losing market share to android phones faster every day.

  7. #97
    What can I say? I like serial. Curiosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florence Yall, BFKY
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by optikalefx View Post
    So, at least in my experience, people who are intimidated by technology don't know anything about it, therefore they think that windows is the only computer there. Actually Dell. If you ask someone who doesn't know any better what kind of computer they want, a lot of the time they didn't even know there was an alternative. To them, apple makes ipods.

    the iphone was dramatically popular before any apps. Remember the lines? That was all on the 1st gen, which didin't have apps. But very true, it will stay on top weather its the best device or not simply because its the majority.

    You don't need to jailbreak it. The majority of users are amazed by it as it. People like us jailbreak it get things that apple didn't think you needed. And normal people like that apple is controlling them, its techny people that are like 'WHOA, stay out of my device"
    Hmm, true. The Apple fanbois got them first. Then the price dropped for the rest. LOL

    And also true, people fear what they don't understand and that can be said for anything and should be judged by the percentages and not the overall just to level the playing field. But where the gazillions of hardware and software developers on the PC are concerned, they aren't clueless. I don't look too much at the simple user side to gauge how computer savvy all people are but rather by how well it's accepted and the products that result from the creativity of those who develop for it. The resulting acceptance shows that the PC and iPhone beat the rest. It's not a biased opinion, I'm just stating the obvious. I don't even like the iPhone.

  8. #98
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by justchat_1 View Post
    And yet visual voicemail was invented WAY before apple pushed it....they didn't invent any of it-just borrowed. Web browsing when the iphone was released was innovative but now every multi-touch device can do that...so why would those be considered features that sets an ipad apart?!?! (and i know that wasn't what you were saying...just jumping back to my original question)



    Normal people like being told "the device could do this but we think your too stupid to use it so we disabled it"???? Wow the brainwashing does work...
    Do you not see the huge difference between "what apple thinks you need" and "what a consumer wants"? The latter should be effecting their design decisions and yet through great marketing they advertise all the devices flaws as "features".
    Exactly! Only point i'll disagree on is that even apple has realized the iphone will not dominate much longer. They're losing market share to android phones faster every day.
    Doesn't matter who invents it first. Ask Tim Berniers-Lee who invented hyperlinks and browsers and who made money on Netscape. Ask Xerox Parc who invented the Gui and who made money on it. Ask Robert Metcalfe who invented ethernet and who made money from it. While you're at it, ask Bill Gates who invented DOS and who made money off of it.

    Apple isn't in the business of inventing new stuff. They've made their niche at perfecting old stuff. The guys in the R&D lab at 1 Infinite Loop probably giggle about this over lunch every day.


    When the 1st gen ipod was released it had no competition. There was an entire generation (3rd or 4th if i remember right) that were defective from the factory but since that was the only option people had to choose it.
    Bzzzzt! Wrong. iRiver was the leading mp3 player device out there when the iPod came out. By the time the 3G and 4G players were out, Microsoft was Zuning away with arguably a better product with more features, storage and equivalent pricing. Apple ran away with the category even though the iPod was more expensive and held less songs.

    The iPhone was a newcomer among existing, established, heavily entrenched smart phones offered by network providers with subsidies. Giants in the industry. I wish I could find the quote from the Motorola CEO who taunted Jobs when he said he would sell 10 million iPhones in the first year. That was 30 million iPhones ago. Again, Apple ran away with the category.

    The Macintosh by all rights should be dead. It has less software, a closed operating system, and no clones. It is growing in popularity.

    Frankly, attributing these successes to stupid consumers is, well...stupid. If Apple sold 100,000 computers a year I'd agree, but they don't. They sell millions.

    I think that you have substituted your own product preferences for those of regular mass market consumers. These are two completely different markets. And Apple only builds for the mass market, not you.

    That means they actually purposefully LIMIT your choices to make it simpler to use. The average consumer either never notices or if he/she does, only bumps into these limits from time to time. Most of the time, the devices function as designed, do what they say, and cause little trouble when doing it. That's what people are paying for and when you think of it that way, sure, it's a velvet prison but for most people it's the matrix. They don't even realize they are inside it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  9. #99
    Antenna Engineer
    Auto Apps:loading...
    optikalefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    831
    Blog Entries
    86
    but for most people it's the matrix. They don't even realize they are inside it.
    Love it.

  10. #100
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,161
    Justchat_1 asks what sets the iPad apart. One thing is that I've been seing people everywhere reading on iPhones and reading on Kindle like devices (like the Sony reader, Kindle itself, other e-ink devices). I've seen just today the Sony device. Very nice, and cool, but at $299.00...I'd like more, like web browsing and the ability to read magazines, you know, with pictures and stuff, along side books and .pdfs as well. The Sony thing does not even look that thin, as the iPad looks. So I can see people subscribing magazines to read on the iPad. Why lug around a 1Lb Vogue, when you can browse the magazine on the iPad, and check the e-mail once in a while? Then you got an email with a video attached...you can play that, on a big screen, etc.

    You'll say you can read Vogue, Top Gear Mag, Pop. Mechanics on the iTouch, but I say it's not the same thing. And people pay for an improved experience, even if it's the same thing (see 3D movies).

Similar Threads

  1. 2nd car battery
    By XMatrix in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 06:09 PM
  2. install mac mini
    By ssteger in forum VaultWiki
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
  3. IPhone Car Navigation - The Death of your PND
    By Fiberoptic in forum Mp3Car Blog Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •