Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 190

Thread: The iPad's role in your car?

  1. #171
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,161
    So they going to spend 1.2Billion dollars on an almost defunct company...WebOS, isn't this the OS that does not even sync with you computer (and people complain about the lack of USB on the iPad...this is worse! LOL)? (It's all "cloud"?) That should be great on the move on the open road, right? Can you say lag?

    I think they should perhaps invest that 1.2Billion on Android or other OS for tiny devices. Also, the slate is not tiny, Win7 is a great platform, it just needs apps.

    I say spend 1.2Billion on a machine that can run ALL 300K iPhone apps, that would be an Apple killer. A slate that could do that would be great! Apple is the new IBM. The day people started building IBM clones and running Lotus 1-2-3 and Wordstar was a great day. That's what is needed now. Apple guys are running windows, why can't we run their iPhone apps? I think any tablet could do that, but nobody had devoted enough brain power to do it. 1.2Billion to that would certainly help.

  2. #172
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by RipplingHurst View Post
    So they going to spend 1.2Billion dollars on an almost defunct company...WebOS, isn't this the OS that does not even sync with you computer (and people complain about the lack of USB on the iPad...this is worse! LOL)? (It's all "cloud"?) That should be great on the move on the open road, right? Can you say lag?

    I think they should perhaps invest that 1.2Billion on Android or other OS for tiny devices. Also, the slate is not tiny, Win7 is a great platform, it just needs apps.

    I say spend 1.2Billion on a machine that can run ALL 300K iPhone apps, that would be an Apple killer. A slate that could do that would be great! Apple is the new IBM. The day people started building IBM clones and running Lotus 1-2-3 and Wordstar was a great day. That's what is needed now. Apple guys are running windows, why can't we run their iPhone apps? I think any tablet could do that, but nobody had devoted enough brain power to do it. 1.2Billion to that would certainly help.
    Palm suffered from bad marketing and weak hardware. The OS on the other hand, WebOS, is the most fluid OS to date. It multitasks in a way that reminds you of a real OS. Developers have got many big name iPhone apps running on it with ease. You have to try a Pre for a week or two to understand the potential of the OS.

    Gestures and Swipes to get out of programs (look ma!, no buttons). Notifications on this is a dream as well. They pop-up underneath your screen while you're doing whatever which helps not to distract you from a certain task, and you can swipe them off the screen to deal with later. Cards is another big feature of the OS. You swipe in between running programs and have live visual view of the apps that are running. That alone would make a tablet in a car a lot safer.

    In regards to the cloud service, the only thing I sync are contacts off of my gmail account and other social networks over the internet. I really haven't had a need to sync with a desktop application yet. Maybe when more productivity apps get released I might want one but since Palm is with HP I'm sure they can afford to devout time into making one.

    Oh did I mention the Touchstone...I charge my phone by placing it on a hockey puck. No more wire hassles at night.

    I've been using a Pre since last September, my only gripes as of now is the need for better hardware. All the other software flaws have been fixed or can be with the large homebrew community that Palm welcomes with open arms unlike Apple.

  3. #173
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,161
    Huh, interesting.

    Couple of points. Syncing is first and foremost syncing your own content. That means pictures, videos, podcasts, or even a route for a navigation software. You're right about not needing such kind of sync on a phone, but on a tablet? That's essential. Unless you just buy content or consume free content over the "cloud" as you go, the model Apple likes to promote. Then you have hulu, zync, etc. But your own, quality, already paid for, reliable content wherever you go, and whenever you produce it (pics, HD video), I want that too.

    So you're saying this webOs is better than Android and iPhone OS (not sure how it's called after the iPad?). Huh, I'm skeptical, but as you said, maybe I should see a unit with it first.

    Have you seen MS's new phone OS? I think the model is much better than cards. It's like you're navigating in a giant webpage, and the screen itself is just a window to that. I like it, and I think that would work with a bigger screen too. Now with an iPad sized window, would that card model work? I've seen in your video...maybe, not sure.

    I'm more interested in the part of running iPhone OS. Can it be done, now? Really? Please, links if you can, I'd love to see that.

  4. #174
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    20
    iPhones OS is under lock and key by Apple so the most people can hope for is seeing the apps come to other platforms which is happening right now on WebOS.

    To the point about Windows 7 Phone, once it comes out I will judge it, currently I think a long page of content is too overloaded and really pointless after living with the simplicity of WebOS.

    In regards to Android vs iPhone vs WebOS, that is more of a personal choice. But I've used all three extensively and WebOS just can't be beat when it comes to the fluidity. The only problem is weak hardware like I said before. I'm telling you, once you start using cards, gestures and swipes, whatever phone you're using currently will feel ancient quickly. I sometimes find myself swiping my iPod Touch and friends Android devices out of habit all the time.

    Lastly regarding syncing, WebOS allows content to be placed onto it via a usb cable, music, videos, pictures, pdf, etc can get onto the device. Its not as clean as a desktop application but it works decent for me. There's also an app that allows this type of content to be transferred over wifi. I haven't used it yet though.

    Oh here's another vid to help with the cross over....
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4WGoLmvMZw&feature=channel[/media]

  5. #175

  6. #176
    Antenna Engineer
    Auto Apps:loading...
    optikalefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    837
    Blog Entries
    86
    yea, apples off their rocker on that one.

  7. #177
    FLAC Machinehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    hijacks small portable city
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    There's also an app that allows this type of content to be transferred over wifi. I haven't used it yet though.
    No app is required, all you have to do is set up OpenSSH. Works via wifi and 3G.

  8. #178
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
    No app is required, all you have to do is set up OpenSSH. Works via wifi and 3G.
    I need to read up on how to do this. I keep postponing it out of laziness. How is the transfer speeds in your opinion?

  9. #179
    FLAC Machinehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    hijacks small portable city
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I need to read up on how to do this. I keep postponing it out of laziness. How is the transfer speeds in your opinion?
    I haven't bothered with 3G, but wifi has adequate speeds unless you want to move large amounts of data.

  10. #180
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
    I haven't bothered with 3G, but wifi has adequate speeds unless you want to move large amounts of data.
    I just want a way to install programs with WebOSQuickInstall without having to connect it with a cable.

Similar Threads

  1. 2nd car battery
    By XMatrix in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
  2. install mac mini
    By ssteger in forum VaultWiki
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 03:47 PM
  3. IPhone Car Navigation - The Death of your PND
    By Fiberoptic in forum Mp3Car Blog Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 06:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •