Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 190

Thread: The iPad's role in your car?

  1. #41
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
    Bravo, you hit the nail right on the head. All of a sudden after god knows how long tablets have been out, and are 300% more powerful then the iPad, suddenly everyone wants to use a tablet because it has a big shinny Apple on it. The thing isnt even powerful! You can most likely get an awesome tablet PC for less, then put MAC OSX on it and at least have a full MAC type computer. Not some half a$$ed tablet based on a phone!
    Disagree, Cruiser. What it *sounds* to me like you said was that people who buy Apple products are too stupid to buy cheaper products with equivalent functionality.

    I've also heard in this thread that it sucks that Apple controls apps and treats developers like crap.

    I think both arguments completely miss the point.

    1. The majority of consumers aren't stupid. Yep, there's apple fanbois for sure. But there's tens of milions of other consumers who aren't fanbois who bought Apple products. I just don't buy the argument that SOMEHOW Steve Jobs is exercising personal mind control over a segment of the population and Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, and Larry Ellison haven't figure out the secret. There simply MUST be some other explanation.

    2. Consumers don't actually care whether Apple makes it hard for developers to get apps into the app store. All they know is they can add barcode scanning to their iPhones for $2.99. That's freedom.

    Sorry guys, aside from personal bias against closed systems - which I certainly empathize with, or assertions that millions of people are stupid when it comes to Apple but NOT to other products, I simply can't agree.

    I'd urge you to look beyond those biases and think about exactly what it is that causes a regular consumer to pay a premium price for yesterday's hardware?

    It's not a very hard answer to figure out. Just kind of hard for some people to accept.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  2. #42
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
    Bravo, you hit the nail right on the head. All of a sudden after god knows how long tablets have been out, and are 300% more powerful then the iPad, suddenly everyone wants to use a tablet because it has a big shinny Apple on it. The thing isnt even powerful! You can most likely get an awesome tablet PC for less, then put MAC OSX on it and at least have a full MAC type computer. Not some half a$$ed tablet based on a phone!
    Where is everyone getting their information from? Who is telling you the iPad is not powerful? Sure it doesn't have a quad core in it but seeing how its running a lite OS it will hardly need it. I don't need Modern Warfare running in my car, while I'm emailing Tina from accounting. All I want is Music, Nav, Video, and Phone connectivity through the iPad's microphone (or an extended attachment). If I ever need to play a game, or email someone while driving its nice to have that option which the iPad will allow. Its that simple.

    In response to tablet PC's being more powerful or more useful, they fail IMO. Why? because every tablet since the beginning is plagued by one major problem, PC companies thinking they can run full fledged OS's on them. Even from demos of the up and coming HP Slate showed its sluggishness. Some people can deal with that, others can't and shouldn't especially when driving.

    Final point: Turning this into some type of iPad Vs CarPC war is not needed. Heck, with the lack of publicity the CarPC gets in the industry it wouldn't even be fair. The iPad is coming like it or not, and you can be sure its going to be mounted in cars. The question is, will producers figure out a safe way to implement the devices and software or just leave it up to customers to try DIY methods. You can imagine all the weird and unsafe places people will mount these (in the windshield, on their passenger seat, steering wheel, glove department, visors, laps, etc.).

  3. #43
    SuperMod - OBDII GPS Logger forum
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    929
    I know I said I wouldn't reply, but this actually avoids the crazy polarisation, so:

    I'm just saying, since its widely available, public, and easy, why can't i use it? Why can't I say that i have multitasking and tethering just because It does't come on the device. Your argument is that just because apple doesn't want you to do it.
    What you're saying is more like how I install linux on my PC that came with windows [and one of my macs that came with OSX]. There's a feature set that I desire, the machine as it arrived did not have that feature set, so I installed something different.

    The difference is that gateway don't enact punitive measures, either accidentally or on purpose, because I did that. A lot of jailbroken 1.x iPhones were bricked in the upgrade to 2.0. Apple have been pulling developer licenses from users who jailbreak 3.1.4. The act of jailbreaking potentially has a pivotal negative side effect - sufficiently negative to cause me to not do it. Jailbreaking the android phones does not cause HTC to attack me.

    2. Consumers don't actually care whether Apple makes it hard for developers to get apps into the app store. All they know is they can add barcode scanning to their iPhones for $2.99. That's freedom.
    That's true. But I'm a developer, so that's what matters to me :-)

    I actually don't think people that buy the iPhone are stupid - as a whole, it's better than most of the alternatives for most end-users, at least for now. When it came out, the only other smartphone even worth glancing at was a cruddy blackberry with a postage stamp for a screen, and no real high quality third party apps.

    I've always said that I think the iphone is great that it's shown people their phone doesn't have to suck; now I'm just waiting for someone else to build one that meets my needs.


    On the other hand, the iPad really is an inferior product, even for end-users. It's extremely expensive. Developers can't just push you a development version of their software for you to try out - which in this community is a fairly common thing.

    Also, it *is* true that apple give developers one of the financially best deals in the industry - 70% of sales goes into your account. That's fantastic. Their development tools are great, their documentation is great. It's just everything else that is awful. On a personal level, I'm not very financially motivated - it's that other stuff, the downsides, that put me off. Not all software engineers feel the same way. I just feel very very strongly on the topic of freedom for developers.

    Where is everyone getting their information from? Who is telling you the iPad is not powerful? Sure it doesn't have a quad core in it but seeing how its running a lite OS it will hardly need it.
    Because by my definition of "not powerful", I don't really care for CPU [the computer living in my car is an ARMv5 clocked at 1.2GHz, has 1/2G memory and only 1/2G onboard storage]. I care about the software running on it. And, as you put it, a locked down "lite" OS isn't enough for my needs.

    All I want is Music, Nav, Video, and Phone connectivity through the iPad's microphone (or an extended attachment).
    This is what I'm saying. If that's the net total of your requirements, then there's probably better cheaper alternatives.

    Gary (-;
    OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
    OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
    mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

  4. #44
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,052
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Where is everyone getting their information from? Who is telling you the iPad is not powerful? Sure it doesn't have a quad core in it but seeing how its running a lite OS it will hardly need it. I don't need Modern Warfare running in my car, while I'm emailing Tina from accounting. All I want is Music, Nav, Video, and Phone connectivity through the iPad's microphone (or an extended attachment). If I ever need to play a game, or email someone while driving its nice to have that option which the iPad will allow. Its that simple.
    It's a ARM Cortex-A9 MCU with a Mali GPU on one slice of silicon. It is basically at the performance of a single core eeePC with a 1.6-2Ghz Atom.

    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    In response to tablet PC's being more powerful or more useful, they fail IMO. Why? because every tablet since the beginning is plagued by one major problem, PC companies thinking they can run full fledged OS's on them. Even from demos of the up and coming HP Slate showed its sluggishness. Some people can deal with that, others can't and shouldn't especially when driving.
    I have had tablet PCs since 2004, and none have been plagued with any heavy OS. They are full built machines and handle it. My current tablet (a M750) has a P9500 Core2Duo with 4Gb of RAM and a 7200RPM harddrive. It runs Vista and Win7 no problem. I can run OSX on it too, and I do. I can run 3 or 4 virtual machines at the same time while my taskbar is full of multiple programs. It does just as much as a regular machine, and I have tablet input. I could have had the non-wacom input but I actually prefer the pen input as it gives less false positives when writing. And this is a year old almost now. The Fujitsu slate's which are more comparable still kick the iPads *** in performance and the screen is top notch just like Apple's screens.

    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Final point: Turning this into some type of iPad Vs CarPC war is not needed. Heck, with the lack of publicity the CarPC gets in the industry it wouldn't even be fair. The iPad is coming like it or not, and you can be sure its going to be mounted in cars. The question is, will producers figure out a safe way to implement the devices and software or just leave it up to customers to try DIY methods. You can imagine all the weird and unsafe places people will mount these (in the windshield, on their passenger seat, steering wheel, glove department, visors, laps, etc.).
    I dont see anyone in the general public mounting these. I see these sitting on people's ottomans next to the remote control while they use their laptop (probably a macbook if they have an ipad) and watch tv. Until the UI is changed it is almost unusable on the move too, which I think BB was getting at with his iphone install he was working out.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  5. #45
    Maximum Bitrate ws6vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    523
    I think this has been said over and over, but some are obviously missing the point:

    What is the Iphone/Itouch good at? What did Apple intend the Iphone/Itouch to be used for? Does it do a good job for its intended purpose?

    Did Apple intend for the Iphone/Itouch to function as a CarPC? Does it do a good job of functioning as a CarPC?

    What will the maxIPAD be good at? What does Apple intend the maxIPAD to be used for? Will it do a good job for its designed purpose?

    Did Apple develop the maxIPAD to function as a CarPC? Will it do a good job of functioning as a CarPC?


    Apple made an Iphone to function as an "Iphone"... try to use it like carPC... fail. Use ducktape (allusion to jailbreak), to try to force the Iphone into something it is not... fail. Using the same logic with maxIPAD: Well... u get the idea.

    In Summary:
    Lets just wait til this is released, cross our fingers for a jailbreak that doesnt exist yet that might not brick our new shiny overpriced gadget, wish and hope and pray that multitasking the 1ghz Apple cpu with GPS, video, music, obd, internet, and bluetooth on a now hacked piece of hardware, will be stable enough to manage whilst driving amongst a bunch of other idiots that may be attempting the same thing.

    Apple made the Ipad was made to be an Ipad. We build or purchase carPCs to be carPCs. Enuff said.


    And... ws6verts safety tip of the day:
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    7. If all else fails and the iPad will not live up to my wishes: I still will mount this bad boy somewhere and use my current iPod Dock to play music and browse the internet on the go.
    Replace "on the go" with "at a stop" for all of our safety. And remember to buckle-up.

  6. #46
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    20
    Responding to the quotes, maybe I just see things different rather than just black and white. Maybe I see the iPad really eliminating the need for customers to pay thousands of dollars to get crappy, low developer base, yesterdays equipment into cars (Kenwoods, Pioneers, a lot of the already built CarPCs). Really look at what's out there. I keep up with all the popular tech sites, Engadget, Gizmodo, BGR, Wire, etc., maybe twice a year I see advancements in the Car Entertainment arena. The base is not there.

    Up until now, the average schmo has a factory stereo, gps mount on the windshield, makes calls, emails, and texts from their cell phone (while driving I might add), satellite radio and some type of iPod connection through FM or aux input (seriously, does this seem more safe than an iPad?). These folks will never spend more than 500 bucks on car entertainment because to them its not worth it. If however, a good enough mount and app became available to the iPad (cheaper than what's out there), which gave them all those above items in an easy interface, I seriously see this changing the game, possibly making drivers safer seeing how voice control & Dragon Speech is available. In regards to Navigation, Tomtom for the iPhone already plays music and nav at the same time. You can't choose your music directly but I'm sure an update for the iPad will change this. Tomtom also fades out music during a call, why couldn't the same happen for the iPad.

  7. #47
    High Voltage blk02si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Motorcity
    Posts
    2,263
    Blog Entries
    1
    So what happens when you want to push your amps with line level front, rear and sub preouts? Oh wait, that's right, this pad really isn't a good choice if you are serious about car audio.

    I think people tend to forget what makes a product suitable for an automotive environment. I mean any elementary school child can suction cup an ipad to the windshield, and mini-plug it into a factory system and viola! a "carpad". This is great I suppose for entry level enthusiasts, but for the inclined, they know exactly what hardware can be had for the same cost that literally destroys any chance the ipad will/did ever have.

    Also, there is a reason it's called "JAIL-BREAKING" For those who have never actually analyzed or comprehended that term, it means to illegally bust someone out of prison. Fairly accurate description if you ask me.
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

  8. #48
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    Maybe I see the iPad really eliminating the need for customers to pay thousands of dollars to get crappy, low developer base, yesterdays equipment into cars (Kenwoods, Pioneers, a lot of the already built CarPCs). Really look at what's out there. I keep up with all the popular tech sites, Engadget, Gizmodo, BGR, Wire, etc., maybe twice a year I see advancements in the Car Entertainment arena. The base is not there.
    Good point, but I think what others are pointing out is that there are other solutions that are even cheaper than the iPad and provide more functionality. They're right.

    This thread is about whether or not the iPad will have a role in people's cars as a car PC. What you are hearing is that, well sure, maybe it will but there are some who aren't interested in it because it either doesn't function the way they want, is difficult to upgrade or load software on, or is restrictive in terms of developer agreements or expansion capability.

    I would note as well, that putting the iPad in the car is something Apple as a corporation would likely vehemently disagree with. It's not designed for the car and they wouldn't support it's use in the car. Therefore, any use of the iPad in the car is going to have to be based around circumventing the original design of the device for use in a different way than intended by the manufacturer.

    That, my friends, is called hacking. So, you have to admit that people do have a point here when they say there are other alternatives that are better, cheaper, and easier to use.

    Case in point - loading car PC software on this thing will most likely rely on it being jailbroken. Unlikely that Apple will let a car front end be built on the iPad. Possibly a media center type of interface but not one specifically for the car.

    So, right off the bat you have to break the terms of service to use it. But what if you can't jailbreak? Ah! Well then....er then what? Other slate/tablet devices don't limit you like that -absolutely a downside for the iPad.

    Actually, I agree with chunky that this will spur competition in the slate arena and we'll all be better off in the long run. In the short run, I'm pretty happy so far. First, we had the iPhone, which showed what can be done with a mobile, always connected device that is easy to use. Now we have the iPad and we'll see how that turns out. Alternatively, we'll have other devices that are very similar but less restrictive.

    Pass or fail, the iPad development is a good thing. Frankly, even if you hate it and Apple, you ought to be rooting for it to succeed because that will spawn a whole series of competitive devices that will all be suitable for experimentation in the car. It's all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  9. #49
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
    All they know is they can add barcode scanning to their iPhones for $2.99. That's freedom.
    No freedom is the six different barcode scanners on the android marketplace available for FREE! What a strange concept to apple users

  10. #50
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
    Disagree, Cruiser. What it *sounds* to me like you said was that people who buy Apple products are too stupid to buy cheaper products with equivalent functionality.

    I've also heard in this thread that it sucks that Apple controls apps and treats developers like crap.

    I think both arguments completely miss the point.

    1. The majority of consumers aren't stupid. Yep, there's apple fanbois for sure. But there's tens of milions of other consumers who aren't fanbois who bought Apple products. I just don't buy the argument that SOMEHOW Steve Jobs is exercising personal mind control over a segment of the population and Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, and Larry Ellison haven't figure out the secret. There simply MUST be some other explanation.

    2. Consumers don't actually care whether Apple makes it hard for developers to get apps into the app store. All they know is they can add barcode scanning to their iPhones for $2.99. That's freedom.

    Sorry guys, aside from personal bias against closed systems - which I certainly empathize with, or assertions that millions of people are stupid when it comes to Apple but NOT to other products, I simply can't agree.

    I'd urge you to look beyond those biases and think about exactly what it is that causes a regular consumer to pay a premium price for yesterday's hardware?

    It's not a very hard answer to figure out. Just kind of hard for some people to accept.
    Its becoming hard to keep up with this thread!

    NOOOOOO, Im not saying that at all. What I think is that Apple has excellent marketing and has managed to get people to think that their cr@p is useful beyond everything else because its Apple, even though its yesterdays technology! At no point did I say anyone is stupid, because trust me, if I thought you were stupid, id say so.

    Im not biased, I just dont like Apple plain out. I have used their products and I have had to go through other people using their products (my little brother has iPhone intergration in his car) and I know thats its a plain ripoff.

    As far as the dev aspect, I cant comment because I have no clue on that.

    I guess my big thing is that I dont understand why so many people fall for Apple. I mean if Apple where to release a video game console that was equal to an Atari 2600, it would out sell the Xbox 360 even though the Xbox 360 is 1 million times better, more powerful, and cheaper.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Similar Threads

  1. 2nd car battery
    By XMatrix in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 06:09 PM
  2. install mac mini
    By ssteger in forum VaultWiki
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
  3. IPhone Car Navigation - The Death of your PND
    By Fiberoptic in forum Mp3Car Blog Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •