Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 316
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Introducing Mimics. The ultimate iPhone-in-your-car experience

  1. #51
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    267
    Can you elaborate more on the packages. From what I have gathered the 2 cheaper packages do not come with the screen?
    Pictures of the actual product of what's included in each package would be good too.
    It would also be nice is there was a dock for the phone perhaps if the screen flipped down or had a flap door where you can just insert your phone.

  2. #52
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    74
    I didn't want to complain because at first I thought this was a good idea. I don't have a carputer in my truck right now becuase I don't take the time to do the custom work it takes to do something like this. I just have my ipad mount on a standard mount in the truck. The problem is the most expensive iPad and a truck mount costs less then this thing once you add the cables to it. You also lose a having a real radio. I would love to see something like this is a full radio/cd player built into it also. Until then I will keep my ipad mount in my truck.

  3. #53
    Antenna Engineer
    Auto Apps:loading...
    optikalefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    835
    Blog Entries
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by MAZDABOY View Post
    Can you elaborate more on the packages. From what I have gathered the 2 cheaper packages do not come with the screen?
    Pictures of the actual product of what's included in each package would be good too.
    It would also be nice is there was a dock for the phone perhaps if the screen flipped down or had a flap door where you can just insert your phone.
    Sure. The Dash and Frame both come with touch screens. The Dash is just custom fit perfect for your dash so it looks factory. The Frame is a standard double din, which a lot of cars have already. No need for a custom fabricated dash kit. The module is no screen, just the module. Thats for those of you who already have a 4 wire lilliput

  4. #54
    Antenna Engineer
    Auto Apps:loading...
    optikalefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    835
    Blog Entries
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
    I didn't want to complain because at first I thought this was a good idea. I don't have a carputer in my truck right now becuase I don't take the time to do the custom work it takes to do something like this. I just have my ipad mount on a standard mount in the truck. The problem is the most expensive iPad and a truck mount costs less then this thing once you add the cables to it. You also lose a having a real radio. I would love to see something like this is a full radio/cd player built into it also. Until then I will keep my ipad mount in my truck.
    Yea i get your radio issue. I could see someone making that though. They could easily use the module to integrate into one. I kind of agree with the truck mount cost, and kind of don't. iPad "mounts" just sit in your car and look pretty bad. The good iPad installs are ones that are actually custom fabricated into a dash, and those cost 1500 to 2000 minimum. So mimics allows you to have OEM style integration for about $600.

  5. #55
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    I love the idea of this product, but I have a few questions:

    1. I need a 10" monitor option, can you please recommend a compatible monitor.
    2. I currently have 2 headrest monitors, how can i get the audio and video signals from the Mimics/iPhone 4 to all 3 monitors?


    I will be one of the firsts in line to order this if you can provide resolutions/options for my questions above.

    Thanks!

  6. #56
    Low Bitrate TonyWare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    71

    Thumbs up

    I have been dreaming about this solution for a long time now and I was floored when I read about it in engadget. This is a step towards the right direction for carputers. Small footprint, powerful device, such as an iphone, low power consumption etc etc.

    However, there are two issues, or rather strategic aspects to think about:

    • First, seamless integration with OEM head units for the popular car brands (Honda, Ford, Toyota, Audi, BMW etc). Targeting the harness and connectors found behind these OEM head units for each one of them separately (i.e. 9th generation Civic version, latest generation of Audi A4, etc etc).
    • Second, some form of partnership agreement with Apple and/or Google themselves in order to follow the future changes in their technology. At any moment in time, Apple can "flip a switch" and shut you down. Then what?


    Just my 2 cents and a huge congratulations for putting the effort to do this. Truly amazing stuff, but it is not the technology that will make this a success, it is the business side that needs to step up to make it happen.
    Last edited by TonyWare; 05-25-2011 at 07:51 AM.

  7. #57
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by customGadz View Post
    Yes, you can just purchase a touchscreen overlay instead of the entire screen, just make sure you get the right type to suit your LCD - 16:9 or 4:3.

    As long as the touchscreen ribbon cable is long enough to connect to the module it will work. In regards to pressing the touchscreen for 3 seconds, this can be achieved by utilizing one of the several ports available on the module to send a signal to switch between devices.

    Since the firmware of the module can be upgradeable, this can be easily done.
    Anyone know of a 6.5" compatible touchscreen overlay??

    Man I need to upgrade my signature, it's 12 yrs old with a geocities link!!

  8. #58
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    267
    Maybe I missed these few basic questions.
    What is the screen size?

    Does it have a built in amplifier? If so how many watts x 4?

    Sub outputs?

    Is there a different "headunit app" where can can control fading, balacing, sub control, frequency, (hpf & lpf) and everything else that a standard $200 headunit can do?

    Does the position of the phone make a difference in the screen position? For example for the screen (mimics) to be landscape does my phone have to be in landscape mode? Shouldn't that be automatic landscape. I don't want to have to worry about what angle my phone is sitting at.

    Features like this will turn off customers and you have to think about what your competitors will do once this is released. Not to mention the price point is extremely high and the next company will make a copy of your design and make it for half the price. Aka china stuff.

    Either way best of luck with this, I look forward to hearing some reviews. Btw if you need some people to do some initial testing of the product before the release date for the cost, I'm all for it. I can have my radio out in a matter of 5 minutes and do another write up and review.

  9. #59
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by MAZDABOY View Post
    Maybe I missed these few basic questions.
    What is the screen size?
    7"

    Quote Originally Posted by MAZDABOY View Post
    Does it have a built in amplifier? If so how many watts x 4?

    Sub outputs?

    Is there a different "headunit app" where can can control fading, balacing, sub control, frequency, (hpf & lpf) and everything else that a standard $200 headunit can do?
    no. it includes the little dongle that recieves the touch commands from the display(the mimic's part), and the more expensive options are to include different 7" screens in double din bezels, with the appropriate mounting bezel for your car.

    there are no audio controls included in the package.

  10. #60
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    411
    Aaaaand pioneer just introduced appradio. Check engadget. Oops!
    Old School MP3CAR.com member!

Similar Threads

  1. Ultimate In-Car iPhone Screen Duplicating Kit, GPS Tracking App
    By Jensen2000 in forum Mp3Car Blog Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 12:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •