- Have you checked my thread on the Acer W500? It really looks not much different than an Asus Transformer or the Acer A100. Here's a pic (from here):"
I say, if you HAVE to run windows app and multiple usb ports, this is a great compromise. If you're going to mod your truck for an 8-10" lilliput, I'd rather go with that any time.
- Multitouch is widespread now, basically it's actually harder to find a TabletPC WITHOUT a multi touch screen. That's the norm. It's adequate with Win7, but if you're running windows 8, it feels just like (or better) an iPad as far as responsiveness and precision goes. And Windows 8 is just around the corner.
- It can't have Windows? So when windows 8 starts shipping running or ARM tablets (7 and 10"), then it won't be a "tablet" because it runs Windows? WTF? LOL.
App markets? well...what can I say, maybe I missed your point? There are Android tablets out there that have no access to the Google Android Market, while you can have access to any market you want on a tabletPC (say, mp3car's own?). Windows 8 will surely have an app market though, but it's windows, so maybe it's not what you mean?
Have you tried Windows 8? Have you tried running Windows with a car front end? I'm not sure why we would care about what is the OS doing the things behind the scenes anyway, if say you're running CF?Quote:
Sure, touchscreen PCs have been around for a long time, bill gates said it himself when asked about the iPad before it launched. People weren't looking for a laptop they can touch. They wanted a new form factor, and they didn't want windows.
Well, that's your prediction. I say, let's see what happens.Quote:
So for in car use - I dont think tabletPCs will ever get a grasp on the market. But tablets will, and are.
I think you're wrong basically because:
1. "double din" standard is dead. People aren't going to be constrained by 7" in the near future, because there's no reason to. The only reason double din is still an issue is because lots of carputer people will likely to have old cars. But if you checked the new Ford Focus, maybe the upcoming Civics and Scions, I think the trend will be, since you have to modify the dash, you better not care much precisely about tablet size.
2. Windows 8 will run in ARM devices, and it will probably be easier to interface with the likes of Fusion Brains and Arduinos and usb devices in general (HD Radio, Sat radio, etc.). So yeah, sd card+USB, will make the Windows 8 tablets a contender. Maybe. But I wouldn't rule them out now.