Glad to see this thread blew up. I really just posted it so I had a link to the newsletter about to go out.
Now this comment
I'm gonna have to change these a bit
1) you still need to fabricate with a tablet. As I explain at AFKfest tablet installs are hard because you generally need more 2d space in your dash than a trad. 7 inch screen
2) 12v electronics are not hard, esp if you have google. But unless you are specifically a car+computer nerd - (not just audio, not just computer, not just car) then you don't want to spend the time wiring 50 components. And then having to check 50 components when 1 thing doesn't work.
3) Windows just sucks if you have to do anything more than launch a program. And don't forget there are many types of people on this site, personally I'm a computer nerd, not a car nerd. So
linux is one of the best OSes out there for me. Its fast, it never crashes, never has any problems, and its 100 fold faster to navigate than any other OS out there. And thats all from the command line with no GUI. Your argument will be the amount of software that is out there, but linux is not about media and entertainment gui based software. Its amazing at server technologies. Windows is more frustrating.
4) I'm not going to claim to know audio at all. I don't. But iPad can get optical audio out, which could go to another hardware source to control your tablet audio
And almost every android tablet has digital audio out through HDMI, so you have the potential there to get your digital audio signal to a hardware source to control it however you want. Again, i may not be correct in thinking that the digital audio signal is what you are looking for. But if you had 256 bit audio out digitally, and then to your amp, or other source, wouldn't that be just as good as your PC's digital or optical output?
5) time, time, time oh and time. A tablet install can be done in a weekend. With breaks for lunch. Assuming you solved your fabrication issue. A car pc - good luck doing that in any good amount of time before your wife or girlfriend gets mad at you for neglecting the dog so much.