View Poll Results: Should we use heatware here at Mp3car?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, heatware is a widely accepted form of feedback

    14 42.42%
  • No, having no feedback here is still better than using heatware

    6 18.18%
  • I'm not familiar with heatware and will Google it

    13 39.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Heatware for Mp3car Classifieds

  1. #11
    FLAC migel628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    1,114
    Something is better than nothing, so I'm down w/ a little heatware action...However, to try & curb the senseless scamming, make sure to do the following:

    01) Get the buyer's/seller's contact info
    02) Actually talk to the buyer/seller
    03) Make sure all details are hammered out prior to completing the transaction

    A little precaution will go a long way...
    "I'm a dick!"
    "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

  2. #12
    Takes it in the Rear kevinlekiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Where the penguins and polar bears live.
    Posts
    687
    "No, having no feedback here is still better than using heatware."

    I dont feel like opening a new page , entering a web site I got no clue about and writing someones username that I had to request before I can check his profile every time I want to buy an item.

    It would be more simple to just look at his user profile on the forum , and look at the feedback people left him in the past.

  3. #13
    Unregistered User ODYSSEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA CarPC Ver3: [▓▒▒
    Posts
    1,568
    IMHO, no matter what system is put into place, someone will always try to scam/troll somebody. It is just a reality of life. The best defense is some common sense.
    ODYSSEY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  4. #14
    Underachiever ACHIEVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Up in dat ass Ranking: Mr. 25,000!!! :) Posts: 10000 +
    Posts
    586
    I agree completely Ody. But there are cases that it would help in, one that just came to light tonight.

  5. #15
    Unregistered User ODYSSEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA CarPC Ver3: [▓▒▒
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by ACHIEVER
    I agree completely Ody. But there are cases that it would help in, one that just came to light tonight.
    Honestly they should have removed this rights to post/view in the classified section. That has to be doable since Boris can not see the off topic section.

    If somebody does get scammed they need to report it to the Mods/Admins. Then they can remove forum rights or even IP ban. On the same note, the Mods/Admins might need to take a more serious part of policing the classified section. If scammers see that scamming is not tolerated here, then it would lessen the chances of it happening.
    ODYSSEY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  6. #16
    Takes it in the Rear kevinlekiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Where the penguins and polar bears live.
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by ODYSSEY
    Honestly they should have removed this rights to post/view in the classified section. That has to be doable since Boris can not see the off topic section.

    If somebody does get scammed they need to report it to the Mods/Admins. Then they can remove forum rights or even IP ban. On the same note, the Mods/Admins might need to take a more serious part of policing the classified section. If scammers see that scamming is not tolerated here, then it would lessen the chances of it happening.
    I reported this guy to(when this happened of course) 1. Frodobaggins who didnt do anything about it , and 2. Peter (gnomad) Wich was very helpfull.

  7. #17
    Unregistered User ODYSSEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA CarPC Ver3: [▓▒▒
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinlekiller
    I reported this guy to(when this happened of course) 1. Frodobaggins who didnt do anything about it , and 2. Peter (gnomad) Wich was very helpfull.
    1. Kinda sad that Frodo did nothing about it.
    2. Good to hear gnomad was helpful, but tHEy should have taken farther measures to ensure the scammer was not allowed back to sell/buy.

    I think part of the reason mod/admins might not take the necessary steps is it might make them (mp3car) liable.
    ODYSSEY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  8. #18
    Underachiever ACHIEVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Up in dat ass Ranking: Mr. 25,000!!! :) Posts: 10000 +
    Posts
    586
    This is a privately owned forum, they can ban anyone they want, at anytime, for any reason, and you would have no recourse. But this is starting to get off topic so I'll leave it at that.

  9. #19
    Admin
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by ODYSSEY
    1. Kinda sad that Frodo did nothing about it.
    Frodo, like all the rest of the moderators here, works on a volunteer basis. Please don't ever give any of them a hard time over anything they didn't do. And besides, I believe this occured while he was in the process of moving, and all his computer gear was packed away in boxes.

    Quote Originally Posted by ODYSSEY
    2. Good to hear gnomad was helpful, but tHEy should have taken farther measures to ensure the scammer was not allowed back to sell/buy.
    The account was locked, and I provided the buyer with the IP address the scammer accessed the forums from, but other than that, what can we really do?

    There would be nothing at all to stop this person from creating a new account here and scamming someone else. The user in question wasn't using a static IP address, so the only thing we could to was ban every user from that person's ISP.

    Quote Originally Posted by ODYSSEY
    I think part of the reason mod/admins might not take the necessary steps is it might make them (mp3car) liable.
    While I haven't addressed it directly, liability is actually one of the reasons why I am against installing any ratings software unless it has reasonable restraints against abuse. So far, I have yet to see any packages that are not trivial to abuse in such a way that a scammer can easily provide a false sense of security to a potential purchaser. While I don't think this would be a liability in legal terms, it does represent a liability in ethical terms.

    Please remember, people, mp3car.com has no monopoly on providing car computing services on the interweb. Anyone who wants to fill a niche that we are missing if free to do so. If someone wants to build a classifieds system for carpc hardware using Heatware, they would certainly get no complaint from me. But realistically, and practically, it makes a whole lot more sense for people who want to establish themselves as reliable sellers to sell on eBay, and for buyers who want a realistic level of protection to search on eBay.

    -g.

  10. #20
    Takes it in the Rear kevinlekiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Where the penguins and polar bears live.
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomad
    There would be nothing at all to stop this person from creating a new account here and scamming someone else. The user in question wasn't using a static IP address, so the only thing we could to was ban every user from that person's ISP.
    Thats exactly what I thought , and not baning him is better , cause now he came back with the same account , and we knew he was a scammer in the past , wich helped us warn people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Classifieds sub forum
    By Nicorolla in forum Mp3car Forum Suggestions/Comments
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 08:43 PM
  2. Thread deletions in Classifieds Pt. II
    By Tred in forum Mp3car Forum Suggestions/Comments
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:14 AM
  3. Thread deletions in Classifieds
    By Tred in forum Mp3car Forum Suggestions/Comments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 11:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •