Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 156

Thread: Infill G4 - Now Shipping

  1. #21
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197
    XM is ultimately connected via USB, but via a serial to USB adapter. You will likely pay an arm and a leg if you even found an install shop to put it in (I highly doubt your dealership would put it in, and if so, be ready to pay huge money for labor). What city are you in? Your best bet is to try and find a guru on this board who's close to you and make a good deal with them to put it in for you.

  2. #22
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by minwoo832 View Post
    xm is connected via USB? Anybody know if a dealership will install for you? I'm about to buy a new car also. I'd like the G4 to replace the factory radio.
    There is no telling. It's up to the individual dealers. You can also take the unit to a car audio shop.

    You just need to make sure that your car has space for a double din head unit. You might need an adapter, wiring harness, and dash kit for it to all fit.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  3. #23
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
    XM is ultimately connected via USB, but via a serial to USB adapter. You will likely pay an arm and a leg if you even found an install shop to put it in (I highly doubt your dealership would put it in, and if so, be ready to pay huge money for labor). What city are you in? Your best bet is to try and find a guru on this board who's close to you and make a good deal with them to put it in for you.
    The benefit to getting this stuff done professionally is an install warranty.

    If something goes wrong, you have someone to go back to, unlike if you just have a friend install it off of this forum.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  4. #24
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197
    I agree completely. My response was based on the fact that the two HUGELY know pro audio shops here in New Orleans literally laughed when I called and asked if they did PC installs. They sounded as though NO ONE but Hollywood folk have PC's in their cars. It was really quite humorous! So based on my experiences here, I assumed it's still in the very early stages for pro installs. Obviously, since you come from an install shop, you don't feel my pain!

  5. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    I'm over in SoCal (near hollywood . Plus, from the looks of it, the G4 looks like a rather seamless install for most double din dashes, although it prob needs the in dash kit. I'm thinking of either the 07 camry, or the 2002-2004 3 series (4 dr).

  6. #26
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by minwoo832 View Post
    I'm over in SoCal (near hollywood . Plus, from the looks of it, the G4 looks like a rather seamless install for most double din dashes, although it prob needs the in dash kit. I'm thinking of either the 07 camry, or the 2002-2004 3 series (4 dr).
    I'm in SoCal as well (2 hours north of you). I'm just gonna install mine myself over a weekend. I've installed countless car stereos myself, so this shouldnt be much different, if at all.

  7. #27
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
    I agree completely. My response was based on the fact that the two HUGELY know pro audio shops here in New Orleans literally laughed when I called and asked if they did PC installs. They sounded as though NO ONE but Hollywood folk have PC's in their cars. It was really quite humorous! So based on my experiences here, I assumed it's still in the very early stages for pro installs. Obviously, since you come from an install shop, you don't feel my pain!

    I dont think that pro audio shop LIKE to do PC installs due to the fact that it is very complicated. Not complicated really to put it all together but the fact of getting everything to work together. Also their are so many options for people to chose from. Plus a lot of carPC enthusiasts run into multiple software problems. And i dont think that a shop would want to install a system and have customers keep coming back because of a "Blue screen of death" or even " When i hit a bump, the computer freezes". I think that this will be mostly a home built hobby for most. But as i can see so far, the G4 is stepping up its game and looks like it will be very very user friendly and nearly a breeze to install with out many worries. I am thinking about purchasing the g4 for myself and selling my current setups (i have 2, haven't installed the other..)


    But, hopefully when they G4 is released their will be plenty of reviews from the forum members!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

    Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case


  8. #28
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    24
    stupid question: can you attach an additional monitor (composite or s-video) that displays a dvd movie while the head unit display gps? I have monitors in the back seats for the kids, but of course would want navigation screen up front.

    hey, how about just selling that remote? Not everyone might want to spring for $1700-2100, but that remote is pretty nifty.

  9. #29
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
    Obviously, since you come from an install shop, you don't feel my pain!
    I don't come from an install shop.

    My job is to get install shops to not be so scared of PC installs.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  10. #30
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by voidunknown View Post
    I'm in SoCal as well (2 hours north of you). I'm just gonna install mine myself over a weekend. I've installed countless car stereos myself, so this shouldnt be much different, if at all.
    2 hours north would be ... lancaster? or bakersfield? If you're familiar with can installs (i've never done one), I can come over to get some pointers. Or it might be worth it just to get it done professionally.

    After thinking a lot, decided not to get a new car anyways. I'd rather invest it in real estate for now.

Similar Threads

  1. INFILL G4 - Australian and New Zealand Questions Answered
    By INFILLG4 in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
  2. Infill G4 StreetDeck install
    By michelk in forum Mp3Car Infill G4 - Double Din Car Computer
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 12:47 PM
  3. Infill G4
    By TheMaskedMan in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 07:43 AM
  4. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 06:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •