Infill G4 GPS Users - Pls read this!
I started this thread hoping Infill G4 GPS users can come together to resolve some common issues. Those who are not facing issue are also encouraged to contribute in the discussion. Who knows, you may just be our saviour!
Instead of the default NMEA protocol and baud rate 9600, I found out our Infill G4 GPS maybe switching to SiRF protocol on its own after resuming from suspend/hibernation (ignition off). When it's in SIRF protocol mode, the baud rate usually also changes.
It's usually fixed by manually initiating suspend and resume or cold booting (warm booting does not work at times) the pc for my case.
I found these out by chance when it switched to SiRF permanently last sept (cold boot didn't work anymore, GPS seems dead for couple of days).
So it begun my research on GMPC required baud rate and it led me to find out most consumer navigation software requires NMEA protocol and NMEA protocol runs at 9600 (though there was reference to 4800 too). I also found out many Viliv UMPC users were having issue with their built-in GPS and default 4800 baud rate working with GMPC until it's manufacturer release a utility/firmware to change it to 9600. While waiting for this fix, some had success with SiRF Demo Utility which allows changing the baud rate.
When I first tried SiRF Demo Utility, it had problem connecting to the GPS at 9600.
If I remember correctly, I went back to XPort and selected different baud rate just to try my luck and XPort found the GPS at probably 115200 (despite com 1 in device manager was showing 9600) but GMPC still couldn't work.
I can't really remember the specifics but I finally managed to get SiRF Demo Utility to detect the GPS either by auto detect or manually selecting the baud rate of 115200.
In one of the menu, the option to switch to NMEA protocol was available while the option to switch to SiRF protocol was greyed out which meant the GPS for some reason was in SiRF mode which clearly won't work with GMPC or most navigation software for the matter. There was also another option to synchronize protocol and baud rate which I believe will set the baud rate to 9600 if it's NMEA mode. Meddling with these settings, I was finally able to get the GPS working again.
Note: days later, the GPS switched permanently to SiRF again but I can't remember if it recovered on its own or I fixed it again with SiFR but it has not reoccured since. *touch wood*
However, resume from suspend/hibernate issue with the GPS persists till today. For some weird reason, I had better success when I had Huawei E270 3G modem connected last time albeit with some fixes but now less success with Huawei E1550.
I'm hoping to get to the root of the problem and have now totally disconnected all USB devices and hub.
I found out when the GPS does not resume correctly, SiRF Demo Utility will be showing it's in SiRF mode. Hopefully, someone can think of a permanent fix so that it does not auto change to SiRF but stays in NMEA mode.
For those who think your SiRF chipset GPS (Infill or not) is dead or does not work with your GPS navigation software you can try the SiRF Demo Utility downloaded from here. This thread from GPSPassion Forum has more details on it.
I've posted this on Centrafuse forum as well so that users who only visit either one of the forum can still gather more info.