Damn. Another dud unit ...
This unit had so much potential. If only they put it through a more rigorous testing scheme ...
I have purchased one unit recently. but worked only one day, then there was no display. Also volume control was not working perfectly.
it is in RMA right now.
also they have very complicated RMA Instruction....
Touch wood. My 3rd unit is still working.
I found one problem with them. That is ensure they are not powered on when starting the engine.
They seem prone to the power surge. Screen seems to bleed internally.
series with the power/ignition line of the unit. A quick-blow fuse would work - meaning it would blow when the surge occurred, but then you need to put a new fuse in.
Perhaps a circuit breaker? Then all you'd need to do is wait for your car to start up, and if the circuit breaker trips, you simply switch it back.
Still cumbersome though.
Apparently, they offered the MDT-X7000 no more. They removed the purchase option from their Website.
All you that bought this crap ( i'm one of you ), what have you done... are you still struggling with your faboulous MDT-7000 ?
We should go together, and claim refund for the crap lying in my bedroom!
The fact that they took i off the market should be proof enough, that the product is not ready for us.
One Year Warranty should be addressed, lets put some pressure on the f*** company.
They just ignore that i want to return my "no more existing, just released product"
Well I just sent my second unit off for repair. The monitor makes this crazy grinding noise when popping out and will not eject unassisted. All of the above is correct with the volume control and all that nonsense. I wish mp3car would have done a better review. I mean come on this thing is a piece of crap. I paid $650 for it and I would pay 200 for knowing all this.
The warranty on the unit is 18 months so we have a little time. I called them today and the tech was clueless. He said they didn't know why the unit is not for sale on the web site. I asked another guy that was actually competent and he said that there was going to be another "update" that would address but not limited to the volume and the motor on the units. This is not expected until middle of February. The guy I finally got to was helpful and nice unlike the rest of them that work there.
Ah! This looked like such a great unit. Im sure glad to read before jumping at it.
Has Xenarc replied to anyone's questions? I sent them an email asking about availability and progress of the MDT-X7000. I'll post if i get a response. (it was sunday night so i doubt anyone is there)
I bought a unit a couple of months ago which had to be replaced and i think it was a second hand refubished older model.
- The first time i opened the screen it was covered in fingerprints
- The warranty seal was broken
- There were scratches down the front which looked like they were from the screen opening
- The interface was laggy, as ppl have mentioned
- It crashed on occasion
- Chip on the volume knob
- When powering down i would get a loud pop over the speakers. I know this can be caused by the sound card but not when the xenarcs input is dvd
- The volume knob did seem like a 'random number generator' but i discovered that if you turn it slower it actually works ok so its a minor mechanical problem.
- There was already a cd in the drive which a friend of mine didnt know and he put a second cd in which slid in out of reach. From then on it stopped working, wouldnt retract and wouldnt light up.
So i sent it back 2 months ago in a big padded box because the screen was completly open and wouldnt close. I wasnt able to get my cds back but 2 weeks ago i got back a new unit. Once installed i noticed the following.
- The interface is no longer laggy
- No random crashes (yet)
- A plastic cover over the screen and no fingerprints or scratches
- No stolen cds yet
- Faster boot time i think (dont quote me on that)
Problems that are still around:
- Loud pop still there
- If its running and you start the car, sometimes the screen will 'bleed' as somebody described it. The colours spat out and it gets brighter and lines and stuff everywhere. Its not too bad though because all you have to do is press input for a little bit until it responds and change to any other input and back again. So it only holds u up 30 seconds or so.
- This could possibly be to do with the tuning on the amp and not the head unit fault. But the fade and balance seems strange. It wont gradually change it will be like no change for ages and then bam! other side of the car.
So at the moment im pretty happy with the unit.Ive only had the setup running 2 weeks now but so far so good, i havent even needed/bothered to contact xenarc support. I would actually reccomend it now to be honest. The surging of the power and the audio line doesnt seem too problematic.