Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mp3Car USB adapter for XM Direct TOO LOUD!

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1

    Mp3Car USB adapter for XM Direct TOO LOUD!

    I just installed the MP3CAR USB Adapter bought from MP3Car.com and it connects and decodes XM just fine. But the sound is terribly fuzzy. From my experience with this stuff I feel like the problem could be that the signal to the carputer via 1/8 inch connection to the sound card's microphone might be to "loud" for the soundcard's expected range.

    So.. my next attempt was to run the signal straight from the XMD 1000 to my amp in hopes that I could run both the input from the carputer and XM as a merged signal to the amp. But the signal was far too strong to run to the amp without turning the amp down as low as possible. This proved to me that the signal from the XMD1000 was far too loud to be handled easily.

    Has anyone had this problem and found a way around it?

    P.S. I have my mic level as low as possible in windows and centrafuse. I have a Mini PC by AOpen.

    Thanks!
    Howell

  2. #2
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by howellpeebles View Post
    I just installed the MP3CAR USB Adapter bought from MP3Car.com and it connects and decodes XM just fine. But the sound is terribly fuzzy. From my experience with this stuff I feel like the problem could be that the signal to the carputer via 1/8 inch connection to the sound card's microphone might be to "loud" for the soundcard's expected range.

    So.. my next attempt was to run the signal straight from the XMD 1000 to my amp in hopes that I could run both the input from the carputer and XM as a merged signal to the amp. But the signal was far too strong to run to the amp without turning the amp down as low as possible. This proved to me that the signal from the XMD1000 was far too loud to be handled easily.

    Has anyone had this problem and found a way around it?

    P.S. I have my mic level as low as possible in windows and centrafuse. I have a Mini PC by AOpen.

    Thanks!
    Howell
    This was my quick and dirty solution to the exact same problem with my tablets.
    [media]http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2265311w345.jpg[/media]
    Radio Shack part #42-2559. Install as close to the PC as possible and create a shared ground for the XMD-1000 to the PC's ground point. Works fairly well,no engine noise and adds the resistors necessary to bring the signal down to usable levels.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate fixerofallthing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lawrenceville GA
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by howellpeebles View Post
    I just installed the MP3CAR USB Adapter bought from MP3Car.com and it connects and decodes XM just fine. But the sound is terribly fuzzy. From my experience with this stuff I feel like the problem could be that the signal to the carputer via 1/8 inch connection to the sound card's microphone might be to "loud" for the soundcard's expected range.

    So.. my next attempt was to run the signal straight from the XMD 1000 to my amp in hopes that I could run both the input from the carputer and XM as a merged signal to the amp. But the signal was far too strong to run to the amp without turning the amp down as low as possible. This proved to me that the signal from the XMD1000 was far too loud to be handled easily.

    Has anyone had this problem and found a way around it?

    P.S. I have my mic level as low as possible in windows and centrafuse. I have a Mini PC by AOpen.

    Thanks!
    Howell
    The mic in option is not the best way to get audio from XM but since it is all you have then be sure the "boost" feature is turned off in the recording control panel. Another option may be to make a cusom cable that connects to the CD in on the MB if it is available. Take an 1/8 audio cable and wire it to the 4 wire cable that comes with every CD drive ever made. That will keep it from being too loud as well.
    The Car 2005 Scion xB

    The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

  4. #4
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by fixerofallthing View Post
    The mic in option is not the best way to get audio from XM but since it is all you have then be sure the "boost" feature is turned off in the recording control panel. Another option may be to make a cusom cable that connects to the CD in on the MB if it is available. Take an 1/8 audio cable and wire it to the 4 wire cable that comes with every CD drive ever made. That will keep it from being too loud as well.
    I used the Mic-In port on my soundcard, you just really have to tweak the volume to get it to not sound distorted. My line-in port was too weak, so even with Master Volume all the way up, it only sounded half way. Putting it into the Mic-in fixed everything. In the end it all depends on your soundcard.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate fixerofallthing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lawrenceville GA
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    I used the Mic-In port on my soundcard, you just really have to tweak the volume to get it to not sound distorted. My line-in port was too weak, so even with Master Volume all the way up, it only sounded half way. Putting it into the Mic-in fixed everything. In the end it all depends on your soundcard.
    I agree. I used my mic in for HD until I bought Mitch's line in device. It was very sensitive and always gave me trouble which is why I said it is not the best solution but you are right that it depends on your sound card. The OP obviously has a sensitive mic in since his complaint is too loud.
    The Car 2005 Scion xB

    The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

  6. #6
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by fixerofallthing View Post
    I agree. I used my mic in for HD until I bought Mitch's line in device. It was very sensitive and always gave me trouble which is why I said it is not the best solution but you are right that it depends on your sound card. The OP obviously has a sensitive mic in since his complaint is too loud.
    What sound card do you use? I was using the SounbBlaster Live 24 USB. I also use Mitch's line selector and i had the same issue, I have to use it in the Mic-Port and leave the line-in empty. I have upgraded to a SB X-FI Xtremegamer PCI card, but since my MoBo isnt back, I havent tested it yet.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate fixerofallthing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lawrenceville GA
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    What sound card do you use? I was using the SounbBlaster Live 24 USB. I also use Mitch's line selector and i had the same issue, I have to use it in the Mic-Port and leave the line-in empty. I have upgraded to a SB X-FI Xtremegamer PCI card, but since my MoBo isnt back, I havent tested it yet.
    I am using the onboard sound from the Intel D201GLY board. No problem with audio level. I have HD and XM with no problems.
    The Car 2005 Scion xB

    The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

  8. #8
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    I am using the D201GLY with this adaptor and the Line-in plug. A little adjustment to the volume and it sounds just fine, neither too weak or too strong.

    @howellpeebles - have you tried the Line input or CD in?

    I suppose you could also put a resistor on the line or better yet a stereo potentiometer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Similar Threads

  1. 500mW usb wifi adapter, better than senao
    By agniusm in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 10:26 PM
  2. Car2PC-MAZ adapter usb engine noise
    By Kimota in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
  3. USB Wireless g adapter problem
    By thenick100 in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 12:04 PM
  4. Problem with ITPS / hibernation and External USB HD
    By veetid in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 08:35 PM
  5. Using an XM direct as an XMPCR
    By dacndar in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 01:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •