I have been recently commissioned by a company who wants to get into iphone development. We have worked out a project plan that hires me on a temporary part-time basis for the duration of the project, and if myself and the project live up to expectations I will become a full time employee and can leave my current job.
Until then I will essentially be working 2 jobs, and won't have time to devote to Neon Boombox. Don't worry I don't have the drive to work 2 jobs for long, and the project should only last 2 months tops; after the project is complete I will resume work on NBB.
In the mean time I have been contacted by an individual wanting to get into this project, he is both a cocoa developer as well as web. If he is willing I will let him do the website and start a module of his own choosing. If anybody else is interested in getting involved now is the time.
I will have a bit of free time this weekend, and will try and finish up NBB 1.1 and release it. I will still be on the forum on a regular basis so your questions and concerns will still be addressed.
Good luck man, better jobs are deffinetly more important than play time. Hope it works out.
I really appreciate your work so far. I use NBB every day and it has been useful, reliable, and easy to use for me. Thanks and I look forward to any updates in the future.
thanks for the support guys. Promise I won't let this project die if I can help it. If I were to cease development permanently I would release the source.
well I'm still pretty busy, but I have been working on NBB again.
I have already overhauled quite a bit of it and there will be a few surprises in a couple of days. I also fixed some major bugs from the "final" 1.1
so here is the deal. things are so hectic right now all of my release dates and new features need to be taken with a grain of salt. with that said since i don't have as much time to work on NBB as I used to I want to start doing releases with fewer features than I had originally planned when I started 1.2. I will be releasing the first 1.2 beta by the weekend, but since I have less than half as much time some of the planned features won't make it till 1.3. sorry i know i keep doing that but there is too much going on right now.
here is what will be in store FOR SURE in 1.2:
1. bug fixes. 1.2 will be the most reliable and stable build. I have been working hard trying to work out all the CALayer bugs that have been haunting me since I started using core animation. (i.e. things "disappearing")
2. I will bring the radio module up to date. I will also release the updated code for it.
there won't be much in the way of new features, but It will look nicer.
3. some updated graphics. not much but, I will also improve the layout of some of the interface. (namely the preferences, they are a mess because of "resolution independence")
4. there will be 3 surprises that i'm quite sure you will like. none of them were "planned" for in 1.2 but since the ground work had been laid previously I decided to finish them.
here is what will not be in 1.2 that was planned, but rest assured that 1.3 will have them to some degree. (I have working proof of concept already)
1. OBD2. sorry just won't have the time. there were some fundamental changes that I needed to make to the NBB core before i could implement this. I do have a working POC, however.
2. DVD playback. because DVD playback is sooo much different than QT playback I will need to do alot of under the hood stuff to seamlessly integrate DVD playback with the video module. once again I have a working POC and it will happen in 1.3
sorry for dashing your hopes for OBD2! i promise it IS coming.
looking forward to the update. I'll try to contain my disappointment over OBD. :-)
sounds good to me. if you have it started thats one more step than the rest of the community.
so for the most part the hiatus is over.
you can download the latest beta from either the update thread or the site. I don't normally post them on the site but the 1.1 final was a joke (mostly on low res so I didn't notice) so 1.2 BETA is actually better.
please tell me what you all think
well congrats and welcome back.