2007 Corolla - Proposed Setup
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. I've found an amazing amount of information, and some just absolutely fantastic work logs. All of these have made me want to make a CarPC, and after doing a fair amount of research, I think I know most of what I want. Take a look and tell me what you think:
Music and Videos
Maybe, rear view camera
2007 Toyota Corolla LE
Stock Head Unit, replacing with CarPC
Stock Speakers, leaving alone for now
Components for CarPC:
Monitor $300 - Preassembled Black Double Din LCD Frame with 7" Lilliput 629GL-70NP/C/T (http://store.mp3car.com/Preassembled..._p/mon-072.htm)
Case $50 - DIY plexiglass/lexan case with acrylic corner fasteners and 4x 120mm computer fans
Power Supply $70 - M2ATX 160W (http://www.mo-co-so.com/M2-ATX-160W-...mcs-atx-m2.htm)
Motherboard/CPU $180 - Zotec Ion Based Mini ITX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3818627&SID=)
Hard Drive $0 (Already have) - 64GB SSD
RAM $50 - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231049)
DVD Drive ?? - I can't seem to find a good external USB powered, tray slot
Double Din $12 - Metra 95-8204 (http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-8204-...6106106&sr=8-1)
GPS $36 - BU-353 (http://store.mp3car.com/BU_353_USB_G..._p/gps-002.htm)
Bluetooth $30 - Interlink USB dongle (http://store.mp3car.com/Nano_Hi_Spee..._p/com-096.htm)
Keyboard $40 - Lenovo Wireless (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...ad%2520laptops)
Microphone $40 - Sunbeam Mic Array (http://store.mp3car.com/Andrea_Super..._p/com-054.htm)
Navigation Software $70ish? - Destinator 9 or Garmin Mobile?
Front End - Road Runner
The total comes out to be $928 not including shipping or taxes.
So, a few questions:
1. How does this look? The Zontec Ion is a bit overkill, but I plan to watch a lot of videos and movies (or my wife is at least)
2. The Lilliput 7" fits the Corolla dash perfectly, and while I choose the preassembled since it would complicate it a tad less, it is $300. If someone can, could you recommend me something cheaper that I could modify myself and apply it to the Metra Din I am purchasing?
3. Again with the Lilliput, does it matter if it is through VGA (analog) or DVI (digital)?
4. Navigation software is my biggest headache right now. I basically spent the last two days doign research and while I was thinking of CF's Navigation system, the maps seem old and out of date. I was considering iGuidance since it works well with Road Runner Front End, but I've heard better things about Destinator 9 and Garmin Mobiel so I'm stuck between those two. Both seem to play somewhat well with Road Runner Front End and are around the same price (IG is $100).
5. I can't seem to figure this out and I don't really see specifics on how sound is hooked up via the motherboard (unless I'm not looking hard enough?). So the motherboard has 6 channels, and my car has stereo speakers. I want to replace the stock head unit and replace it with the CarPC. How do I hook the speakers up to the motherboard? I'm keeping the stock speakers too, and while I don't think I do, do I need an amp?