Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Please review my proposed setup....

  1. #11
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Is that 73 watts with full load? i would go with a OPUS 360.

    Are Blurays sensitive like XBOX 360 disks? I ask because if there is any bump with a XBOX CD, the CD is gone. I would think that ripping it in a smaller format would make it easier. Just put on your HDD and your done. You don't have to worry about the discs getting scratched or lost.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #12
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmagoo1 View Post
    Which PSU would you recommend? Something that fits into the m350 case preferably
    Nice idea, but it's not gonna happen.


    CarTFT advise they have tested the M3-ATX with the same M/B, m350 case and the i5 650 CPU with no problems.
    Source?
    I can't find that claim anywhere on CarTFT's site, unless it's in German, which I can't translate.
    I agree w/ Punky. This claim is dubious, at best.
    Considering that the M3 only pumps out 6A @ 12V continuous, that makes 72W.

    The i5 650 is 73W
    And Intel CPUs draw from the 12v rail.

    73 < 72.

    Unless someone under-volted and/or under-clocked the CPU, I can't see it being stable at all.


    I was also thinking the same about the 64Bit OS might just stick with 32Bit and loose the extra RAM[/QUOTE]
    That will make hibernating/resuming go faster, too.


    Quote Originally Posted by jdmagoo1 View Post
    Guys what about the CarNetix CNX-P2140 for the PSU?
    Not gonna work.
    And you'll have to read the FAQs to understand why it won't work.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #13
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post


    Source?
    I can't find that claim anywhere on CarTFT's site, unless it's in German, which I can't translate.
    We recommend using these power supplies (have been tested with these CPUs : i3-530, i5-660, i5-661) :
    - PicoPSU-XT-150
    - M3-ATX

    http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1193

    Bottom of page.

    Does everybody else agree that the OPUS 360 is required for my setup?

    Because Im about to commit

    Thanks for the replies

    James

  4. #14
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Wow!
    CarTFT is pushing out some seriously bogus recommendations!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  5. #15
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmagoo1 View Post
    We recommend using these power supplies (have been tested with these CPUs : i3-530, i5-660, i5-661) :
    - PicoPSU-XT-150
    - M3-ATX

    http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1193

    Bottom of page.

    Does everybody else agree that the OPUS 360 is required for my setup?

    Because Im about to commit

    Thanks for the replies

    James
    You will need a OPUS 360. Also to be on the safe side, I wouldnt power the fans from the OPUS either. Simply connect them to direct 12V power. They will spin faster, but you wont be taking upwards of 11W per fan away from the PSU. For the PSU to trigger the fans, just use a relay.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  6. #16
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    83
    How are you guys enclosing the OPUS, is there a case for it or are you custom building one?

  7. #17
    Maximum Bitrate nasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    721
    Ok,

    I'm not necessarly the most experienced at this (and I tend to stick to my own problems), but... While everyone says the setup as presented won't work (which I would agree), but some wise arrangement of device powering could make this the basis of a working system.

    While the cpu is borderline with the PSU, I believe the 73 Watts is max -- which I wouldn't expect your carpc to get too, unless you are doing something really intense... But, that takes up all your 12V capability -- so other devices would have to be powered from something else (ie: the battery for things like your monitor -- note: I haven't checked this monitors power requirements, so you have to verify that would work).

    You have a number of usb devices which could be powered off the PSU (by themselves) but in combo with the CPU choose maybe too much. Thus, I would power them off of the battery via a powered usb hub (ie: http://store.mp3car.com/DC_Powered_4..._p/adt-015.htm)

    I'm typing this quickly as I head off to another appointment, but it at least allows you to look at your requirements (is the case size the driving factor) to determine an appropriate solution.

  8. #18
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmagoo1 View Post
    How are you guys enclosing the OPUS, is there a case for it or are you custom building one?
    The OPUS 360 is very large..... But because all my cases are custom built by me, it wasn't an issue.

    Here is the OPUS in my previous install. You see that board thats behind the MoBo. Its half the size of the MoBo, which is huge!



    For the new install I am going to stack a OPUS 320 and OPUS 360 on top of each other and place in the empty space.



    Quote Originally Posted by nasa View Post

    I'm not necessarly the most experienced at this (and I tend to stick to my own problems), but... While everyone says the setup as presented won't work (which I would agree), but some wise arrangement of device powering could make this the basis of a working system.

    While the cpu is borderline with the PSU, I believe the 73 Watts is max -- which I wouldn't expect your carpc to get too, unless you are doing something really intense... But, that takes up all your 12V capability -- so other devices would have to be powered from something else (ie: the battery for things like your monitor -- note: I haven't checked this monitors power requirements, so you have to verify that would work).

    You have a number of usb devices which could be powered off the PSU (by themselves) but in combo with the CPU choose maybe too much. Thus, I would power them off of the battery via a powered usb hub (ie: http://store.mp3car.com/DC_Powered_4..._p/adt-015.htm)

    I'm typing this quickly as I head off to another appointment, but it at least allows you to look at your requirements (is the case size the driving factor) to determine an appropriate solution.
    With a 360 he should be fine.... thats powering the Mobo, processor and USB devices. What I suggest is simply putting the fans and screen on direct 12V power. If you are using a Lilliput screen, then it comes with a 12V regulator so you don't have to run it on the PSU. You would then take a relay that will tie into the 12V rail on the OPUS. When the PC turns on, the OPUS will trigger the relay to send power to the fans and screen. Its much simpler then having to figure out what to power where.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  9. #19
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa View Post
    Ok,

    I'm not necessarly the most experienced at this (and I tend to stick to my own problems), but... While everyone says the setup as presented won't work (which I would agree), but some wise arrangement of device powering could make this the basis of a working system.

    While the cpu is borderline with the PSU, I believe the 73 Watts is max -- which I wouldn't expect your carpc to get too, unless you are doing something really intense... But, that takes up all your 12V capability -- so other devices would have to be powered from something else (ie: the battery for things like your monitor -- note: I haven't checked this monitors power requirements, so you have to verify that would work).

    You have a number of usb devices which could be powered off the PSU (by themselves) but in combo with the CPU choose maybe too much. Thus, I would power them off of the battery via a powered usb hub (ie: http://store.mp3car.com/DC_Powered_4..._p/adt-015.htm)

    I'm typing this quickly as I head off to another appointment, but it at least allows you to look at your requirements (is the case size the driving factor) to determine an appropriate solution.

    While it is true that the ratings for the CPU are max power ratings, you need to insure that you have adequate power for the CPU under max load. At some point, you will have the PC doing something (probably multiple things) that will push the CPU load to its max.
    With the setup proposed above, the CPU at max load will be more than the PSU can output, and there will be problems.
    When planning a system build, you want to plan for all possibilities, especially when it comes to powering the system.

    Think about it this way...
    You're showing off your cool vehicle PC to your buddies or at a cruise night or even at a show. To demonstrate the capabilities of the PC-based system, you start doing some things to generate some OOOOHs and AAAAAHs.
    You push that CPU usage up and the system shuts down.
    You now look like a complete tool for building an unstable system and trying to show off something that doesn't work. (Never mind that it works just fine as long as you're not pushing the system at all).

    Furthermore, you are unlikely to draw more interest into the hobby, since onlookers will see instability and equate that with all systems and hardware, even though it is only one poorly-planned installation that is unstable.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  10. #20
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    i agree with most of the above..

    as a person running a pentium dual core in-car, i really think that most of the computing power of a i5 is really going to be unused in most setups. it might be nice to have, but i think that there needs to be some understanding that there is a enormous performance difference between a atom, and a core2duo/i3/pentium dual core..

    for instance:
    my car pc is used for audio processing, so i tend to tax the cpu more then most setups that just want music, movies, and gps..

    my atom board would start to cause audible audio breakup at 30% cpu usage, and this was while playing a song, not switching tracks.. while switching tracks, my cpu usage spiked anywhere from 80-100% usage..

    my pentium DC hovers around 10% normal usage(just letting a music play), with about 60% spikes when manually changing songs(i usually change 3-4 before i get to another one i want to hear-and i really haven't setup rr as well as i should), but has zero audio breakup at any time.


    i think there were some great points on the power supply discussion. there is no reason to get a very nice setup and cheap out on a power supply that *just* makes enough power for the mainboard only..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Review: TouchScan OBD-II Software
    By mezz64 in forum The Review Palace
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
  2. my proposed laptop setup, any comments welcome
    By pwetherhill in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 09:45 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
  4. FS: Selling my complete CarPc setup for $250
    By remarque in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 03:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •