Firstly, I wanted to thank you for the site... i've learnt so much already! Secondly I wanted to apologise in advance as haven't learnt enough to get myself out of trouble.
I am endeavoring to build a car computer for myself that does the basics... stores and plays music, has GPS capability, bluetooth handsfree, wifi, connects to my cars ODBII port etc
I happen to have an i3-550 CPU spare and have been looking at a Mini-ITX 1156 motherboard such as the Zotac H55ITX-A-E as the base.
My questions are
1. I understand that the i3 is overkill, but it was free so i'd like to use it. Will it create heat problems? I am assuming that the Zotac board is aimed at the HTPC user which is traditionally in a much cooler environment than a car
2. What case would you recommend? I don't know if I need something a little larger to fit appropriate cooling
3. What power supply would best suit both the processor, and the CarPC application? I read about M2, M3, PicoPSU etc but am a little confused
4. Has anyone used Zotac before? I hadn't heard of them before I started looking into the CarPC idea and don't know how their quality stands up.
5. If it is going to cost more for me to cool this thing down than it is to get a SU2300 or Atom board. What is the best bang for buck?
I would really appreciate you comments.
-Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords
The i3 will use more power so naturally you will need more cooling. But its not overkill. Search on projects there are people on here with similar builds. I had one built just like that but as a home media player.
thanks antimatter for bumping this.. even though it is from february, i'll try to answer some of your questions
hardware-- if you install in a trunk, just keep in mind that hot days could be problematic.
i don't believe the cooling requirements are not going to be any better/worse then a atom board--- of course the i3 will run hotter, but if they were both installed in a trunk, the ambient temp issues would be the same...
My 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
"The Project That Never Ends"
more projects then time!
Led Skyline Tail Lights--100%
High Power Led Reverse Lights--100%
Led third brake light--100%
Led front turn signals--0%