Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie Build for Toyota Tacoma

  1. #1
    Newbie bebopblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    52

    Newbie Build for Toyota Tacoma

    Here we go. I know like 50% of what I should do, and hopefully learn the other 50% as I go along and learn from my mistakes.

    I got an Element 7" and Zotac board, gonna start with that, and hopefully get all the wiring and mounting done, then configure the softwares later.

    Wish me luck.

    Some picts of the mess I got myself into:

    Name:  XJCzW.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  130.1 KB

    Name:  XOlNb.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  90.0 KB

  2. #2
    Newbie iamsuperbleeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    13
    what model Zotac board is that? ironically, I'm in the planning stages of putting together a system for my 06 Tacoma, and so far the plan is to base it off a Zotac IONITX-T-U and housing it along with a 60gb SSD in a M350 case, which also looks like the same case you're using. where do you plan on mounting the unit? I was thinking under the passenger seat

  3. #3
    Newbie bebopblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    52
    Yep, I just got 90% of the work done. I'll try to help you out and so you don't have to go through all the mistakes I made.

    The list of parts:

    Zotac IONITX-T-U
    M350 case
    Crucial 64G SSD
    2GB Ram
    7" Element Resistive LCD touch screen
    Scosche Double Din Dash
    7" LCD frame
    Carnetix P9100 PSU (also sold here at MP3 store)
    SCOSCHE TA02B Wiring Harness
    GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS Receiver

    I had to cut a couple of barrel connectors from old power adapters to wire from the Carnetix PSU to the Zotac (19V) and the LCD (12V). That way, I don't have to cut the original ones. I found out the inside of the barrel is positive voltage, and outside is negative. Mounting the LCD is not perfect, but it's good enough, I'm most likely gonna replace it with a multi-touch capacitive screen after Windows 8 comes out. I'm placing the PC under the driver seat, it seems to fit. If it doesn't stay in the long run, I'll probably move it somewhere else, possibly behind the rear seats.

    Some PICTS HERE, starting with the mess I made when I started, then the finished install.

    Oh, a tip, the tacoma clock panel is a ****** to remove. Remove the stock head unit from the dash din first, then remove the clock panel. There are 6 plastic nudges that hold it in place, 2 along the long sides, and 1 on the short sides. You can see it in the picts link above.

    I'm in the process of configuring the softwares. It seems Centerfuse 4.1 with the navigation option is the way to go. I'm testing the trial version but it's not easy to figure out bluetooth and GPS receiver configuring.

    Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by bebopblues; 05-25-2012 at 05:58 AM.

  4. #4
    Newbie iamsuperbleeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    13
    the pics look promising! I'll be interested to know how the system works out for you, considering the system I'm planning is pretty much the same specs

    and trust me, I'm no stranger at tearing into the dash of my Taco, lol





    I actually dug into the clock unit once to see if I could change the color of the LCD display somehow





    and the only reason I dug into that was to see if I could make it match my modified instrument cluster






    good thing is I already have a double din mount because I'm currently using a Pioneer D3; good unit, but I want more, lol


  5. #5
    Newbie iamsuperbleeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    13
    oh and another idea to toss around, or at least it's one that I'm tossing around, is flush mounting a slim DVD drive in place of the clock display. the way I see it, I now have a 7" screen to display the clock on, and other than that the only thing that little display beside the clock tells you is if the passenger airbag is on and if the passenger is wearing their seat belt... and the little key that lights up when you unlock the truck... personally, I can live without those little LED light displays. so I'm thinking that would be an awesome place to fab up a small panel with a little slit in it and mount an external slim drive behind it, as appose to just mounting it in the glove box or center console. it's just an idea though; I'm not honestly even sure if there's room enough behind the panel to fit a drive

    but that's just an idea; you may not even plan on putting an optical drive in it for all I know :P

  6. #6
    Newbie bebopblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    but that's just an idea; you may not even plan on putting an optical drive in it for all I know :P
    Even with my home computer, I hardly ever use the DVD drive. I use it once a while to burn an ISO of whatever OS I want to try, usually linux, that's about it. I guess I can keep a USB DVD drive in the car if needed to connect to read an audio CD or DVD movie for those rare occasions.

  7. #7
    Newbie iamsuperbleeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by bebopblues View Post
    Even with my home computer, I hardly ever use the DVD drive. I use it once a while to burn an ISO of whatever OS I want to try, usually linux, that's about it. I guess I can keep a USB DVD drive in the car if needed to connect to read an audio CD or DVD movie for those rare occasions.
    this is a very good point. I hardly ever user mine on my desktop either. about the only time it's put to use is when installing the OS, or like you mentioned burning an ISO to a disk. but I just figure it may come in handy in the truck as a DVD drive. with digital music, I hardly ever find myself using a CD for music. in fact, the map DVD has been in my Pioneer D3 since I installed it; normally I'm streaming Slacker Radio through the bluetooth, lol

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    VegasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    oh and another idea to toss around, or at least it's one that I'm tossing around, is flush mounting a slim DVD drive in place of the clock display. the way I see it, I now have a 7" screen to display the clock on, and other than that the only thing that little display beside the clock tells you is if the passenger airbag is on and if the passenger is wearing their seat belt... and the little key that lights up when you unlock the truck... personally, I can live without those little LED light displays. so I'm thinking that would be an awesome place to fab up a small panel with a little slit in it and mount an external slim drive behind it, as appose to just mounting it in the glove box or center console. it's just an idea though; I'm not honestly even sure if there's room enough behind the panel to fit a drive

    but that's just an idea; you may not even plan on putting an optical drive in it for all I know :P
    You don't have the room behind the clock for the DVD drive unit. The metal crossbar that your 2-Din faceplate attaches to is only a few inches behind that clock bezel. Plus, there is an airbag sensor indicator in that display. I'm thinking you'd have to tuck that circuit board back in there someplace regardless in order to ensure that your airbags worked correctly. You'd be better off mounting it just like that Pioneer unit...at the top. That 7" will not fill that opening, so if you mount it more or less flush with the bottom, you should have more than enough room for a slim-line slot-load or tray load dvd unit on top.

    Fellow Tacoma owner VegasGuy

  9. #9
    Newbie iamsuperbleeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasGuy View Post
    You don't have the room behind the clock for the DVD drive unit. The metal crossbar that your 2-Din faceplate attaches to is only a few inches behind that clock bezel. Plus, there is an airbag sensor indicator in that display. I'm thinking you'd have to tuck that circuit board back in there someplace regardless in order to ensure that your airbags worked correctly. You'd be better off mounting it just like that Pioneer unit...at the top. That 7" will not fill that opening, so if you mount it more or less flush with the bottom, you should have more than enough room for a slim-line slot-load or tray load dvd unit on top.

    Fellow Tacoma owner VegasGuy
    yeah I actually just came to that conclusion earlier today I have a single din dash kit for this truck (from the previous stereo in the truck before the D3), and also have a spare laptop drive here, and the bottom two mount holes are directly in the way of the drive, and that means that whatever those mount to are also in the way. and I'm not so sure I want to get into trying to make a custom mount for the LCD so that there's a gap on the top or bottom for a drive to be accessible, lol. I personally might just go back to the original plan of putting it in the center console. that is, if I put one in at all; bebopblues brings up an interesting point, and they way I'm planning my setup the computer itself will be quickly and easily removable from under the seat so I can bring it inside and plug in a drive on the workbench if I need to

Similar Threads

  1. 98 toyota tacoma tacoputer
    By a_zo in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 09:01 PM
  2. 2003 Toyota Tacoma (Tacoputer)
    By omg_its_Alex in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
  3. '03 Toyota Tacoma first CarPC
    By JoeDirte in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 07:39 AM
  4. '03 Toyota Tacoma: First CarPC
    By JoeDirte in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
  5. OBD-II For 98 Toyota Tacoma
    By Jailer in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 03:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •