Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 7" monitor wiring help, 4 wires- blue black red yellow

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2

    7" monitor wiring help, 4 wires- blue black red yellow

    Hey, i am new to the electric side of the car i have spend most of my time in body work, eg fiberglass. i have recently purchased a 7" monitor, an just didnt want to screw up the system. i am leaving the original system in to play radio and cd's as this one would require me to install a cd player as well so it just seems easier. it has 4 wire's- red, blue, black and yellow. now the black is ground, so that goes to a ground screw. the red is to the ignition switch ACC, so do i follow the original systems ignition switch wire and splice into that? then there is the yellow, which is Battery which is to connect to the circuit of accumulator? not to sure with that one. last is the Blue wire, to back running switch or backing running lamp curcuit (12V is valid)??? don't no what that means. would it be the same as an accessory outlet, where i put the blue to positive of the outlet and black to negative of the outlet. not sure if that makes sense. sorry if this is long. i am new to the electronic side of the car, do most of my time under the hood or outside the car, not to much inside so if any one couold please give me clear directions it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou for your time.

  2. #2
    Raw Wave Rob Withey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,139
    Not really enough info. A model number of screen might help.
    At a complete guess the extra wire may be a wire that disables the screen unless grounded, usually connected to the handbrake switch so the screen won't work whilst the car is in motion.
    But that is a guess because you haven't given enough information.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Hey, yep no probs, got these off a site
    Specifications:
    • Screen size: 7"
    • Display format: 16 x 9
    • Resolution: 480 x 234 pixels
    • Television format: PAL and NTSC, VHF/UHF
    • Power consumption: 24W
    • Chassis dimensions: 182(W) x 53(H) x 161(D)mm

    This is an image [media]http://www.rapserv.com.au/images/qm3782.jpg[/media] soz wasnt sure whether i could legally put the picture in. i hope this is enough, i will kepp browsing for more info, but for the mean time i hope this is enough. once again thankyou

  4. #4
    Raw Wave Rob Withey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,139
    Still no model number. How about a link to the site, or have a look on the unit itself and read off the model number.
    Just to be clear, a model number would help.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

  5. #5
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Here's a silly question...

    What does the manual for this unit say?
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  6. #6
    Raw Wave Rob Withey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Here's a silly question...

    What does the manual for this unit say?
    Not such a silly question. Foolishly I had just assumed that he didn't have a manual, otherwise of course Starterelec would have read it. My goal of getting the model number was to go and find a manual. Perhaps again I have been foolish in assuming that Starterelec wouldn't have gone and searched themselves.

    It's obvious to me, it's obvious to you, perhaps it is not obvious to Starterelec.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate lor109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Starterelec View Post
    Hey, i am new to the electric side of the car i have spend most of my time in body work, eg fiberglass. i have recently purchased a 7" monitor, an just didnt want to screw up the system. i am leaving the original system in to play radio and cd's as this one would require me to install a cd player as well so it just seems easier. it has 4 wire's- red, blue, black and yellow. now the black is ground, so that goes to a ground screw. the red is to the ignition switch ACC, so do i follow the original systems ignition switch wire and splice into that? then there is the yellow, which is Battery which is to connect to the circuit of accumulator? not to sure with that one. last is the Blue wire, to back running switch or backing running lamp curcuit (12V is valid)??? don't no what that means. would it be the same as an accessory outlet, where i put the blue to positive of the outlet and black to negative of the outlet. not sure if that makes sense. sorry if this is long. i am new to the electronic side of the car, do most of my time under the hood or outside the car, not to much inside so if any one couold please give me clear directions it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou for your time.
    If standard wiring Colors are being used it goes like this:

    Red: Switched/Ignition wire / Can be connected to a curcuit that is only on when ignition is on (Usually a good 12v source can be found in the fuse box)

    Yellow: 12V Battery / Constant / Ran straight to the positive terminal of your car's battery

    Black: Ground (I highly recommend grounding directly to the car's chassis with a common ground for all of your equipment)

    Blue: Power antenna / Amplifier Remote Lead (Basically sends a pulse to either your amplifier or power antenna to tell it to turn on)(not for an accesory outlet)

    Now as stated before this is for "Standard Wiring" it's probably correct, but use this guide at your own risk. And as others stated if there is a manual you should read it. One of the most common things i've seen switched are the yellow and red wires, which won't hurt anything but may cause the system to not retain it's memory..stations, clock etc..

    Hope this helps

    Nathaniel

  8. #8
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Withey View Post
    Not such a silly question. Foolishly I had just assumed that he didn't have a manual, otherwise of course Starterelec would have read it. My goal of getting the model number was to go and find a manual. Perhaps again I have been foolish in assuming that Starterelec wouldn't have gone and searched themselves.
    I wouldn't say foolish at all.
    Your method of telling him/her to RTFM is just far more subtle than mine!

    It's obvious to me, it's obvious to you, perhaps it is not obvious to Starterelec.
    It should be obvious to anyone. Sadly it is not.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  9. #9
    FLAC DodgeCummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    DFW area
    Posts
    1,386
    If you hook it up, and smoke starts pouring out...you hooked it up wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. BMW E46 Owners with DSP systems and no HU
    By edrock200 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 10:59 PM
  2. DWW - 700M : not opening
    By John_Duh in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 10:04 PM
  3. Lilliput 7" Black LCD but Power on VGA controller
    By zherlock in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 01:14 PM
  4. Pinout Color Codes / Tables
    By gummybear in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 03:05 AM
  5. Red vs Yellow Top
    By beaverpants in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 11:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •