Ive been loitering around the board now for a while and finally decided to register. I'm currently gathering all my items for an install in my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
So far Im working with-
- Mac Mini - 1.66GHZ c2 duo/2g ram/250gb HD/802.11n
- Carnetix p1900 power supply w/ mac pack
- Mac wireless mouse / keyboard
- Blaupunkt THA475 amp (w/ jeep harness)
I'm reworking a previous install of a Pioneer AVIC-D2 setup, I was wanting to reuse the screen, but it doesn't support VGA. On top of it, I'm not happy the way it is mounted or cut into the dash. I'll be yanking that out and going touch screen. I'm still undecided on going with a 7'' or 8'' screen. that along with cables is the last on my purchase list.
My only debate I'm having is on my final mounting location for the Mini. I still want it accessible for the drive, I have three locations i'm juggling with.
- in the center console (will require me gutting it to make it fit)
- removing the rear seat cup holder (would be recessed into the back seat)
- Fabricate a partial enclosure at the base of the center console facing rear. it would save the rear cup holders...
I use my glove box, I'm not fond of placing anything under my seats, and I want to keep it easily in reach of the drivers seat.
Any who that is all for now, don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I also want to thank everyone who has contributed to this site, 90% of my questions have been answer by reading around these forums and I got a lot of killer ideas for my project
Congrats and welcome! I suggest starting out simple. Maybe put it under your seat or somewhere that it is not permanent while you consider your options. As you are putting it together you might find an easier/better way to install it into your vehicle.You can also build upon your installation as you go.
I started my project and I threw everything into it all at once. After blowing out a few components, I've learned to start with the core PC and then branch it out slowly.