I have not built a car computer since 1999; I had an old 386 desktop with a programmable keypad to play my mp3 collection. I had several problems, went through 3 batteries, finally after 2 years I got a MP3 head unit and ditched the 386.
I decided to look at building a CarPC when I noticed all the gadgets I have hanging on my windshield: a GPS, Sirius Radio Receiver, Bluetooth Cell phone adaptor. I looked at a Pre-built system and decided that it took all of the fun out of it. But the technology has changed, so I am back to noobie status. Having said that, I have been working with and building computers for 15 years and have a general idea of what I want to build.
The system should contain at a minimum:
• Backup Camera
• DVD Movie playback
• Bluetooth for hands free phone.
• Touch Screen for user interface
• More cameras to catch the wonderful driving around me
• ODBII to talk to my car.
• Backup sensors to gauge distance to that wall, (Crunch).
• Rear screens for passenger enjoyment.
• Better sound equipment, amps, speakers, ect.
I am sure that as I get into this I will find more options that I cannot do without
My question, has anyone installed a CarPC in a 2008 Chevy Silverado? And if so what hints/suggestions do you have for me? Also is my wish list unreasonable?