Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Newbie with power question

  1. #1
    Newbie patsfanwilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Kansas
    Posts
    13

    Newbie with power question

    Hello everyone. Im going through the design of the carputer i just purchased for my truck. I would like some feedback and suggestions on power to the carputer. The basic setup starts like this. 4 gauge streetwires cable to a streetwires distribution block (FBXM68). 8 gauge out to the carputer. My question is should i still put a fuse holder close to the battery or after the distribution block.

  2. #2
    Newbie envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    20
    Always put a fuse near the battery. That's a must. I also recommend a distribution block that is fused.
    ][ Still Building ][
    <>Intel 945GCLF
    <>160 gb WD sata 2.5"
    <>1 gb 667
    <>M2-ATX 160W
    <>ATI Radeon 7000
    <>Antec Mult-Station Premier Deluxe IR receiver and remote
    <>Windows XP Pro, and CF as front end
    <>7" LCD Myron Davis

  3. #3
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by patsfanwilly View Post
    My question is should i still put a fuse holder close to the battery or after the distribution block.
    Yes and yes.

    The fuse near the battery will protect the wire from the battery to the distro block.
    The fuse after the distro block will protect the wire from the distro block to the equipment.

    In your case, the distro block has fuses for the wires to each component, so you don't need a fuse holder after the distro block. The distro block has that built in.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  4. #4
    Newbie patsfanwilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Kansas
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Yes and yes.

    The fuse near the battery will protect the wire from the battery to the distro block.
    The fuse after the distro block will protect the wire from the distro block to the equipment.

    In your case, the distro block has fuses for the wires to each component, so you don't need a fuse holder after the distro block. The distro block has that built in.
    thanks guys thats kind of what i figured but i wasnt for sure. The other question is what size of fuse should i use at the battery and at the distribution block. Ill be running a mcs Generation 2.0GHz C7 carputer with a Lilliput 629GL.

  5. #5
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    what power supply will you be using?

    i really don't think that it will be over 30 amps, but it would be safer to get the fuse rating matched as close to the standard current draw of the devices as possible.

  6. #6
    Newbie patsfanwilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Kansas
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    what power supply will you be using?

    i really don't think that it will be over 30 amps, but it would be safer to get the fuse rating matched as close to the standard current draw of the devices as possible.
    Ill be using the m2-ATX

  7. #7
    Newbie Moysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    46
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hi,

    For an installation such as yours i would probably choose a fuse size a few amps under the maximum current rating of the main cable for additional safety, Regardless of the total draw of each device at this point.

    The purpose of this fuse is to protect the cable.

    At your distribution block however i would match the fusing to the load of each individual device. Also ensuring the correct size of cable is used from the dist block to the device.

    Note: THE FUSE MUST ALWAYS BE THE WEAKEST LINK IN THE CIRCUIT

Similar Threads

  1. Review: M4-ATX 250 Watt Intelligent Power Supply
    By Bugbyte in forum The Review Palace
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 09:52 AM
  2. 2007 Ford Fusion Carputer (version 2.0)
    By FusionFanatic in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
  3. Newbie Question DC Power
    By Nickwell24 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 03:42 PM
  4. Newbie with power ?s for monitor
    By sengd001 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 05:48 PM
  5. XBOX, Carputer, power Question! ELECTRIC GURUS HELP!
    By EggrollXpress61 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 12:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •