Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: TDA7850 amp, anybody?

  1. #11
    Constant Bitrate tibimakai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Pedro, USA
    Posts
    180
    if you turn on Google translate it's a bit better, but there is a lot of bad translation also. I had the same situation when I've tried reading a wdtv player russian forum.
    that amp it looks very promising. it's a bit expensive though(specially if I could build it myself too).

  2. #12
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    i think the $160 for the most-featured unit doesn't sound bad at all(something like $90 for the basic model)--- it includes all the software, allows for eq tweaks, and also has 2-3 aux inputs.. considering the amount of time it probably took to create the software, $160 isn't bad at all... i believe that 2k1toasters usb amp design was going to be shooting for the $300 mark...

    i used google translate to get to the 'my cart' section, but many of the buttons that involved ordering and shipping were still showing in russian, so i couldn't continue..

  3. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    34
    I've also had trouble placing the order because I don't speak russian and google translate didn't translate that site properly. I've asked digitalcar.ru if he/they could provide sales via ebay instead.

    I think that the tuner is recognised as an HID interface, which could suggest that it's found as an input device by the OS which I could then send keys to?? If that's the case then I would presume that this would work out of the box with linux and I am even willing to make an application port for it in linux.

    I would also like to know how the ISO amp is seen by the OS? Did anyone find any details about the chipsets being used? For example, if the chipset is seen as a standard USB soundcard, there is a strong chance that drivers for it already exist in linux, which would make using it a easy. I believe that the TDA7850 needs an additional interface for it to be used in software, for things like volume, bass etc. If this is the case then is it interfaced by a specific protocol e.g. i2c/rs232? Is the USB hub in the ISO AMP Full powered only from the usb source or is it powered by an additional 5v converter inside the unit? Also, is it possible to split the 12v input on the Amp so that it can be connected to my existing carpc?

    The ideal solution that I dreamnt of would have had the FM Tuner, Amp and possibly GPS+TMC units built into the main AMP (via USB hub) casing such that I could connect the ISO harness, antenna radio connector and power to that unit behind the dashboard, in a single tidy unit that will always remain in the car and only have the USB, VGA and power cables running to the trunk to the carpc. The carpc would then be accessible and easily removable for maintenance. Pushing the idea further, the unit could also provide regulated 12v and regulated 5v output such that the lilliput monitors can power from it. In fact, it would have been perfect if, on top of that, a single cable that transported VGA(extender), USB(extender) and power could be used as an output of the AMP(+FM+SOUNDCARD+GPS+VGA EXTENDER+USB HUB). This would then run to the carpc in the trunk and be split into VGA, USB, POWER(IGNITION, GROUND, Live) and even maybe the rear backup camera outputs for the lilliput. Then a shorter version of this cable could even be used to link into systems that are closer to the monitor such as the double-din bybyte casing.

  4. #14
    ibf
    ibf is offline
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinkga View Post
    I've also had trouble placing the order because I don't speak russian and google translate didn't translate that site properly. I've asked digitalcar.ru if he/they could provide sales via ebay instead.

    I think that the tuner is recognised as an HID interface, which could suggest that it's found as an input device by the OS which I could then send keys to?? If that's the case then I would presume that this would work out of the box with linux and I am even willing to make an application port for it in linux.

    I would also like to know how the ISO amp is seen by the OS? Did anyone find any details about the chipsets being used? For example, if the chipset is seen as a standard USB soundcard, there is a strong chance that drivers for it already exist in linux, which would make using it a easy. I believe that the TDA7850 needs an additional interface for it to be used in software, for things like volume, bass etc. If this is the case then is it interfaced by a specific protocol e.g. i2c/rs232? Is the USB hub in the ISO AMP Full powered only from the usb source or is it powered by an additional 5v converter inside the unit? Also, is it possible to split the 12v input on the Amp so that it can be connected to my existing carpc?

    The ideal solution that I dreamnt of would have had the FM Tuner, Amp and possibly GPS+TMC units built into the main AMP (via USB hub) casing such that I could connect the ISO harness, antenna radio connector and power to that unit behind the dashboard, in a single tidy unit that will always remain in the car and only have the USB, VGA and power cables running to the trunk to the carpc. The carpc would then be accessible and easily removable for maintenance. Pushing the idea further, the unit could also provide regulated 12v and regulated 5v output such that the lilliput monitors can power from it. In fact, it would have been perfect if, on top of that, a single cable that transported VGA(extender), USB(extender) and power could be used as an output of the AMP(+FM+SOUNDCARD+GPS+VGA EXTENDER+USB HUB). This would then run to the carpc in the trunk and be split into VGA, USB, POWER(IGNITION, GROUND, Live) and even maybe the rear backup camera outputs for the lilliput. Then a shorter version of this cable could even be used to link into systems that are closer to the monitor such as the double-din bybyte casing.
    That FM radio only has a sensitivity of 2uv according to the datasheet. The original silabs dongle were 2.5uv, so with the Si4741 you are not going to see a drastic difference.

    Infact the silabs which uses the headphone as antenna is much more sensitive, I think they can go as low as 1.1uv when connected to a proper antenna. Those silabs chip are used in mobile phone, I think sony ericsson still use them.

    The DAB work very well in car, FM will be dead soon so why not go with the DAB/FM project? the FM tuner on the DAB project is 1.1uV or so. While a car radio sensitivity is 1uv or less.
    Last edited by ibf; 05-30-2011 at 12:56 AM.

  5. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    34
    Good point actually. Maybe the Amp + the DAB tuner would be a better combination. I think the DAB tuner seems to be controllable directly via the serial port too, just by sending some character codes. Sweet!

  6. #16
    ibf
    ibf is offline
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinkga View Post
    Good point actually. Maybe the Amp + the DAB tuner would be a better combination. I think the DAB tuner seems to be controllable directly via the serial port too, just by sending some character codes. Sweet!
    Yes the DAB module is easy to control, all you do is emulate button push by sending HEX value to the module via serial port and the module will do the rest. The DAB on slave firmware is alot more difficult to control but far more flexible.

  7. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    34
    ok so pushing data seems easy. But how do you get data back from the COM port? e.g. RDS text?

  8. #18
    ibf
    ibf is offline
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinkga View Post
    ok so pushing data seems easy. But how do you get data back from the COM port? e.g. RDS text?
    You send the status commands every second. Sending these and the module replies back with string of informations such as station name, text, stereo status, signal level etc etc. The radio text is even scrolled for you automatically. It was meant for a 2x16 LCD display, so when you send a "Get_Display" command, the module will spit out the text for the upper LCD (station name, etc etc) and the text for the lower LCD (radio text, info, etc etc)

    Probably best to post in the DAB thread.
    Last edited by ibf; 05-31-2011 at 08:32 AM.

  9. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ibf View Post
    The radio text is even scrolled for you automatically.
    Ouch, that doesn't sound very elegant at all from an app/driver point of view.

    Coming back to the AMP now, I'd definitely buy it if only I knew:
    1. Does it have a ground loop isolator built-in?
    2. Does it use standard chipset drivers for sound?

  10. #20
    ibf
    ibf is offline
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinkga View Post
    Ouch, that doesn't sound very elegant at all from an app/driver point of view.

    Coming back to the AMP now, I'd definitely buy it if only I knew:
    1. Does it have a ground loop isolator built-in?
    2. Does it use standard chipset drivers for sound?
    Those DAB with SERMMI (master as craigbrass call them) interface were designed to be simple to use. Most of them were made for clock/kitchen radio or budget hi-fi with a fixed 2x16 display. Majority of the processing is done on the module itself rather than the radio's MCU, the CD drive's MCU are typically used to control the DAB module. This is the reason why most want the slave firmware because it can do more and the way you want it, perfect for carpc use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 06:04 AM
  2. Amp into amp or just a new amp?
    By Profozone in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 11:29 PM
  3. another 'my amp fuses keep blowing'
    By curious12 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 07:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •