lots and lots (and lots) of power
My goal is to run a beastly computer inside a car. This is actually a research project (hence, I can't scale down the computer), but I figured this community would be most knowledgeable about what is possible and what is not. I read on the FAQs and other newbie material that DC-DC supplies are relatively under-powered, and that for more power to go with an inverter. However, I'm not even sure that will be enough. The machine uses a 1000W power supply, so I'm trying to figure out if a car's electrical system will produce enough power to run the machine (and if I can *get* that power to the machine). The car model hasn't been decided yet, but the "maximum electrical power output" isn't a big selling point and so isn't advertised on car manufacturers websites. Since I've seen cars with some ridiculous subs I'm guessing it's not impossible to get a lot of power, but I don't know enough to know where to start. So, here are my questions:
- does a 1000w dc-dc exist?
- if not, does a 1000w inverter exist?
- would losses due to DC->AC->DC be a significant concern?
- I read on the FAQ not to use the cigarette adapter, so where does the inverter hook up (harness?)?
- how can I find out what the maximum current (power) output will be for [X] car?
Thanks! (and sorry for my nub-ness)