Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Planning my first CarPC in my 2006 Altima SER

  1. #1
    Newbie Diablo2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    52

    Wink Planning my first CarPC in my 2006 Altima SER

    Hey, here's what I have planned out so far for the hardware of my first CarPC. The car is a 2006 Nissan Altima SER with the Stock 6-speaker Bose system. I am going to be replacing my JVC KD NX-5000 DVD Single DIN head unit with the Carputer. The stock Bose stereo consists of an Amp in trunk, w/6 speakers; 2 Component 5.25" up front with 2 5.25" in the rear doors, and 2 6x9's used for bass only in the rear deck, I have the adapter for the wiring harness that converts it to 2 RCA pair's for input from the head unit. Which will make it easy to connect to the Carputer.

    The current part list that I have made up is as follows: (Please note all recommendations/comments are appreciated!)
    Motherboard: ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE


    Specs: ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE Motherboard/CPU Combo:
    AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) | AMD Hudson M1 | 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (at x4 mode, with latch) | 5 x SATA 6.0Gb/s | AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics | Realtek ALC892 - 8 Channels | WiFi IEEE 802.11 n | Bluetooth 3.0 | PS/2: 1, DVI, 1 x HDMI, 4 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x eSATA 6.0Gb/s, 1 x Optical, 3 Audio Ports, Mini ITX - 6.7" x 6.7"

    Features
    Integrated dual-core AMD E-350 APU 18W processor
    USB 3.0/SATA 6G- High Speed Transfer Technology
    EFI BIOS (EZ Mode)- Flexible & Easy BIOS Interface
    Wireless and Bluetooth on board

    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    HDD Boot: OCZ 30GB SSD SATA II 2.5"
    HDD Storage: Seagate 1TB SATA 3.5" (I have this already)
    Case: Looking into new options
    PSU: Mp3Car DSATX 220 Watt Automotive Power Supply
    LCD: Not sure yet, possibly the Samsung derrick.ny LCD
    GPS: BU-353 GPS USB Receiver
    OBD II: plx Devices Kiwi Bluetooth Adapter
    OS/Frontend: Windows 7 Ultimate / Centrafuse or RoadRunner (haven't decided which yet)

    All necessary cables, adapters, double din mounting kit, etc...

    I also put together a crappy basic wiring diagram for myself to use:


    That's everything, as soon as I start ordering parts and building it, I'll put up a worklog... can't wait to get this project started. If anyone has any helpful hints, tips or tricks, please share!

    Minus that, I've been searching and reading up on the forums to learn everything I can before I get waist deep into the project.
    Last edited by Diablo2424; 11-15-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Ever changing parts list

  2. #2
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    i really ought to give you a hard time about keeping the stock bose amp installed(esp. with a slogan like that!!)...

    you really don't need any more then 2gb ram in-car-- the more ram you have, the longer hibernate times you have, not to mention the extra cost and little use it would have.

    also, the m4 psu will not fit in any case, but you can order a external case for it..

  3. #3
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,176
    I agree with the above. M4 is kind of overkill for an Atom board, but the worst part is that it's big.

  4. #4
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    if you think about it, this hobby is overkill...

    it depends on the way the system changes--i started similarly with a dsatx, and intel atom board, but the psu was a worthwhile expense when i upgraded to the different board a couple months later, and i didn't need to change the psu. but i also don't run a case, so space wasn't as much of a issue..

  5. #5
    Newbie Diablo2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    52

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    i really ought to give you a hard time about keeping the stock bose amp installed(esp. with a slogan like that!!)...

    you really don't need any more then 2gb ram in-car-- the more ram you have, the longer hibernate times you have, not to mention the extra cost and little use it would have.

    also, the m4 psu will not fit in any case, but you can order a external case for it..
    Lol, I know I know, I don't even like the Bose system (or Bose at all actually, I've never heard a Bose speaker that I've really like) but its a ton of money and work to swap out the speakers and run all new wiring. Since I don't have any of the speakers or amps for the speakers from my last car. All I have is 2 10"s in a box w/an amp for the subs. So I have to get all new speakers and a 4-channel amp, then run the wiring through the car into the doors . Eventually I will end up getting speakers/amp(s) and getting rid of the Bose crap, just not at the moment.

    Quick question (as I'm new to this CarPC thing), why would the PC be going into hibernate? From my experience Windows + Hibernation is never a good idea . But thanks for the tip on just using 2GB instead of 4GB, I wasn't sure if 2 would be enough... that'll save on heat/power too!

    Ahh, I didn't even think to check the size of the M4, I just saw all the useful features and figured all these CarPC PSU's are small, guess not. I'll go check out what else is available that's smaller and will fit inside the case, thanks again!


    Quote Originally Posted by RipplingHurst View Post
    I agree with the above. M4 is kind of overkill for an Atom board, but the worst part is that it's big.
    Thanks, I'll def. check out some other options, maybe an M2/3? I just want to make sure I get a PSU that has the SSC built into it, as well as any other useful features to keep my motherboard from dieing.

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, United States
    Posts
    221
    I'm using the Carnetix P1900 for a board that's the same specs as your proposal (1 stick of RAM though). The features available on that seem more than adequate. I do believe thy are more efficient than the M-series. Size may be an issue here too, but it has its own metal casing and can simply be externally mounted.

    Welcome to the hobby! As a fellow newbie I can tell you that without this site, this wouldn't be the route I would take for my car.

    -Zack
    via Droid Charge

  7. #7
    Newbie Diablo2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    52
    Thanks for the replies guys, keep them comming!

    I am definitely going to be looking into a different case, since I have a 3.5" HDD for storage (for now to save $$) and from the look of it, won't be putting the PSU in the case with the HDD/SSD/MoBo... I'm going to check out NewEgg's Mini-ITX cases, and look into either an Opus or Carnetix PSU.

    Only issue I am worried about is my MoBo requires 20Pin ATX + P4-12V 4Pin, so whatever PSU I get must have both connections. I'm not too worried about the LCD as that will be in the front of the Vehicle, so I'll probably power it separately. Just need adequate power for the MoBo, HDD/SSD and USB devices that will be plugged in (GPS, and whatever else I may plug in up front in the hub, probably just MP3 Players/phones for music transfer/charging).

    Time to continue looking around at cases and Power Supply's, and I'll update my first post with the new parts.

  8. #8
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo2424 View Post
    Quick question (as I'm new to this CarPC thing), why would the PC be going into hibernate? From my experience Windows + Hibernation is never a good idea
    it doesn't need to, but many people setup their carpc to standby/hibernate when they get out of the car, so that when they get back in, they have faster startup times.

    i personally just let my pc startup/shutdown, and don't really feel a need for a super-fast bootup, but it's personal preference..

    in most cases, hardware/software should not be affected by using standby/hibernate(these days, almost all hardware can take it), but sometimes, if the software was poorly written, or a usb device suddenly decides to not show in the hardware list, it can cause issues with resuming..

  9. #9
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo2424 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, keep them comming!

    I am definitely going to be looking into a different case, since I have a 3.5" HDD for storage (for now to save $$) and from the look of it, won't be putting the PSU in the case with the HDD/SSD/MoBo... I'm going to check out NewEgg's Mini-ITX cases, and look into either an Opus or Carnetix PSU.

    Only issue I am worried about is my MoBo requires 20Pin ATX + P4-12V 4Pin, so whatever PSU I get must have both connections. I'm not too worried about the LCD as that will be in the front of the Vehicle, so I'll probably power it separately. Just need adequate power for the MoBo, HDD/SSD and USB devices that will be plugged in (GPS, and whatever else I may plug in up front in the hub, probably just MP3 Players/phones for music transfer/charging).

    Time to continue looking around at cases and Power Supply's, and I'll update my first post with the new parts.
    IF you have a motherboard with a standard ATX conenction (20 or 24-pin), then you want an ATX PSU. A Carnetix unit is not ATX-compatible.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  10. #10
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    you gotta quit skimming in the OP's last post, he indicates that he understands that the opus won't work, and is looking at other atx-compliant psu's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Planning my first carPC
    By ZombieLinux in forum Newbie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 08:49 PM
  2. My Install - 2006 Altima
    By azhar97 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 10:06 PM
  3. altima 2006 in car pc suggest
    By adoobi in forum Newbie
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 04:54 PM
  4. COMPLETE Carputer For 2002-2006 Nissan Altima For Sale
    By Lyzdog in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 05:13 PM
  5. need help planning new carpc
    By burnhamd in forum Newbie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 07:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •