Charging multiple high power USB devices without cigarette lighter
Wow! Just found the forum and am likely to get sidetracked from my original project. Lots of cool stuff to do.
Ok, the project that got me here is as follows:
I am sick of the multiple chargers for the iPad, iPhone, blackberry, Bluetooth, etc in my truck. I have decided to bypass the cigarette lighters and replace them with the waterproof USB panel jacks from l-com with retractable cables for each device.
The problem I need help with is what to use for the12v-5v dc dc conversion. I have the fuse block and want to direct wire the jacks in. I am looking to add 4 ports that are all 10-15 watt capable.
I have no problem in doing the wiring but am looking for suggestions in the following specific areas:
1) is there a single component that can source that much power? If so, ok to run these in parallel?
2) am I better off with multiple components (prefer less than 1:1)?
3) any suggestions on parts to consider using?
4) any other considerations?
5) any links to others that have done this? I can't be the first.
Thanks for any help you can provide!