Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Noise Troubleshooting

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    Noise Troubleshooting

    I found this great site and thought maybe the knowledgable people could help me out. I installed a Laptop computer(IBM T-20 thinkpad) in my truck. It send the signal via the soundcard to the Aux input on my headunit. It works almost flawlessly with the exception of static noise when I have the Auto charger plugged into the cigarrette lighter outlet.If I run the laptop just off the battery, the sound is crystal clear. when I plug it in, there's the static.I have a show truck and I like to play movies while at the shows. But I can't get thru a whole movie on the battery. Is there anything I can put inline to help? I am using the IBM 12v cig. lighter adapter.
    Any help would be appreciated, along with any links/prices you think I need to be noise free...

    Thanks
    Steve

  2. #2
    Newbie the_wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    38

    go USB

    The quickest but certainly not the cheapest way is to buy a usb sound adapter $50-$150 you can try M-Audio http://www.midiman.net SoundBlaster Extigy or Adigy 2 NX http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...incategory=462 or maybe Edirol http://www.edirol.com/ all of theese will give you audiophile quality sound with 0 injected noise (Granted you use good RCA cables)
    Click Me to go to PicaraPc
    Click Me to see the goods
    CPU:Picara PC TX3 P-III 1GHz w/XP Pro
    Display: Xenarc 7" VGA Touch screen
    Sound: SoundBlaster Extigy
    HU 1:Panasonic CQ-DVR909U
    HU 2:Performance Teknique 7" in-dash LCD
    CD Changer: Alpine CRA-1655RF
    Amp Highs: MA Audio M480i
    Amp Lows: MA Audio SY5011DX
    Highs: Audiobahn AS65Q 6.5"
    Mids: Audiobahn ABF39Q 6x9
    Fill: Audiobahn ACX460p 4x6
    Lows:2 Adiobahn 1000Qs

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wombat
    The quickest but certainly not the cheapest way is to buy a usb sound adapter $50-$150 you can try M-Audio http://www.midiman.net SoundBlaster Extigy or Adigy 2 NX http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...incategory=462 or maybe Edirol http://www.edirol.com/ all of theese will give you audiophile quality sound with 0 injected noise (Granted you use good RCA cables)
    But why would It be quiet when running off the battery, and then static when plugged in?? I am using excellent shielded twisted pair RCA's. It's almost like I need a noise filter installed on the Power cord..

  4. #4
    Newbie the_wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    38

    Question not sure

    There could be quite a few reasons your getting noise. What do you mean by static? Does it only happen with the engine running? have you tried a ground loop isolator? It could be a bad ground in your lighter outlet, try hard wiring in a diffrent location.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalvision
    But why would It be quiet when running off the battery, and then static when plugged in?? I am using excellent shielded twisted pair RCA's. It's almost like I need a noise filter installed on the Power cord..

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wombat
    There could be quite a few reasons your getting noise. What do you mean by static? Does it only happen with the engine running? have you tried a ground loop isolator? It could be a bad ground in your lighter outlet, try hard wiring in a diffrent location.

    Ok, I hard wired the laptop power in. noise is still there. I then Wired a temp wire right to the battery pos and neg. noise is still there. the noise is present with the truck running or not. you can actually hear the hard drive working thru my speakers. I am thinking the interference is being picked up internally, then amplified by my amplifiers... Would this USB sound card cure this problem? Or would there still be some line noise from the internal signal??

    Thanks
    Steve

  6. #6
    Newbie the_wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    38
    USB Will fix it because the sound is processed outside of the PC. Try a Creative Labs Extigy or Extigy mp3, I personally like the Extigy better than Mp3 because of the added remote control.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalvision
    Ok, I hard wired the laptop power in. noise is still there. I then Wired a temp wire right to the battery pos and neg. noise is still there. the noise is present with the truck running or not. you can actually hear the hard drive working thru my speakers. I am thinking the interference is being picked up internally, then amplified by my amplifiers... Would this USB sound card cure this problem? Or would there still be some line noise from the internal signal??

    Thanks
    Steve
    Click Me to go to PicaraPc
    Click Me to see the goods
    CPU:Picara PC TX3 P-III 1GHz w/XP Pro
    Display: Xenarc 7" VGA Touch screen
    Sound: SoundBlaster Extigy
    HU 1:Panasonic CQ-DVR909U
    HU 2:Performance Teknique 7" in-dash LCD
    CD Changer: Alpine CRA-1655RF
    Amp Highs: MA Audio M480i
    Amp Lows: MA Audio SY5011DX
    Highs: Audiobahn AS65Q 6.5"
    Mids: Audiobahn ABF39Q 6x9
    Fill: Audiobahn ACX460p 4x6
    Lows:2 Adiobahn 1000Qs

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate SOBIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    131
    your noise mught possibly being generated inside your charger, what sort of charger is it?

    Also try grounding your laptop chassis, i removed a little bit of noise in my car by connecting a loop from a screw touching the earth on the laptop to earth on the head unit/body.
    I put a little loop connector on the screw that holds the VGA connector.

    <EDIT>
    You should be able to run your laptop without the charger circuit, by this i mean run the lappy on unregulated voltage off the back of the alternator, =]. Its a little butcherous, but it works for me (no problems in 3 months). It also removes one more thing to go wrong. Laptops have fairly good power regs inside them because they are designed to run on batteries which can vary from say 20v to 9v. Give it a go and see if it works. but don't come to me if you plow up your brand new P4 thinkpad. =]
    </EDIT>

    GL

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by SOBIL
    your noise mught possibly being generated inside your charger, what sort of charger is it?

    Also try grounding your laptop chassis, i removed a little bit of noise in my car by connecting a loop from a screw touching the earth on the laptop to earth on the head unit/body.
    I put a little loop connector on the screw that holds the VGA connector.

    GL
    I'm using The Factory IBM charger..... I guess I'll have to try the USB....
    thanks guys..

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2
    your laptop charger is enclosed in plastic. little or no RFI shielding. wrap it in tinfoil and see if it helps. worked on my NEC Versa LX to remove noise from system while plugged in.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •