Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: VGA to composite OR USB to Composite

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    62

    VGA to composite OR USB to Composite & MOBO Recommendations

    I am looking at a motherboard that does not actually support composite video out. But my LCD has RCA inputs so I need a way of converting them.

    Also thought of this: http://www.eyo.com.au/items_CatID_4_SubCatID_90.html

    I was wondering whether there was anything that could do it for me.

    Also is this motherboard any good? http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...o/features.htm

    Also how would I power this MOBO + DVD + 80GB HD? I don't really want to spend too much on something like the OPUS. Would a case like this be compatable at all: http://www.eyo.com.au/details_G-3677BK.html

    Simon

  2. #2
    FLAC bosstone74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Japan, Oregon
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by eminence
    I am looking at a motherboard that does not actually support composite video out. But my LCD has RCA inputs so I need a way of converting them.

    Also thought of this: http://www.eyo.com.au/items_CatID_4_SubCatID_90.html

    I was wondering whether there was anything that could do it for me.

    Also is this motherboard any good? http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...o/features.htm

    Also how would I power this MOBO + DVD + 80GB HD? I don't really want to spend too much on something like the OPUS. Would a case like this be compatable at all: http://www.eyo.com.au/details_G-3677BK.html

    Simon
    Make a case and buy an OPUS! Serious...YOU will be so so happy...serious! everyone loves theres!
    you'll wanna upgrade later...so just save a little more and get the OPUS!
    BossTone74

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Melbourne/Cranbourne
    Posts
    132
    why not find a regular micro atx motherboard with agp slot and then buy something like a cheap geforce2 with tv out?

    btw what happened with your idea of using that non-computer thingy?

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by aphesis
    btw what happened with your idea of using that non-computer thingy?
    Can get a PCI graphics card as well.


    As with the non-computer thingy. It was an extremely badly made example and kept shutting itself off. This was no good so I sent the bloody thing back. I was not certain that a replacement would work properly so did not get a replacement. I figure if I build it then atleast I know it will bloody well work.

    I am beginng to think it would be cheaper to just whack an Xbox in there and modifiy it.

    Simon

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Melbourne/Cranbourne
    Posts
    132
    Glad to hear that you got rid of that thing now you can concentrate on adding a proper computer in there.

    Not too sure about the xbox idea, I think you would have more fun with a proper computer in there plus it would work out cheaper i'd say unless you already had the xbox lying around.

    Reasons i'd choose an dedicated computer over the xbox would be;
    Mediacar, gps, internet access, tv tuner support, web cam support + lots more. Also in the end you can say that you built it yourself

    Quote Originally Posted by eminence
    Can get a PCI graphics card as well.
    As with the non-computer thingy. It was an extremely badly made example and kept shutting itself off. This was no good so I sent the bloody thing back. I was not certain that a replacement would work properly so did not get a replacement. I figure if I build it then atleast I know it will bloody well work.

    I am beginng to think it would be cheaper to just whack an Xbox in there and modifiy it.
    Simon

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    62
    The thing is an xbox can be had for around $200-300 or perhaps even free from a mate whereas a car comp will be around $600 to $1000. I unfortunately do not have any motherboards and cpus lying around.

    I also don't think I will ever have internet access in the car because I do not have a mobile phone. GPS does sound nice though. Hmm decisions decisions.

    Can anybody recommend a good mother board for this sort of thing?

    Simon

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Melbourne/Cranbourne
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by eminence
    The thing is an xbox can be had for around $200-300 or perhaps even free from a mate whereas a car comp will be around $600 to $1000. I unfortunately do not have any motherboards and cpus lying around.

    I also don't think I will ever have internet access in the car because I do not have a mobile phone. GPS does sound nice though. Hmm decisions decisions.

    Can anybody recommend a good mother board for this sort of thing?

    Simon
    Yes, the xbox is pretty cheap, but by the time you chip it and then add a bigger hard drive it all adds up. So you are probably looking at $500 there.

    Also I don't see how the PC is costing upwards of $600. This is what I have spent so far.

    Socket 370 Micro-atx motherboard $40 (Secondhand off the net)
    Celeron 600MHz CPU (Pulled out of another computer but can be had for under $40)
    256MB SD-RAM (laying around. can be had for around $50)
    ge-force2 mx with tv out (under $50 these days)
    atx power supply (under $10)
    40GB hard drive ($80 can buy a new one)
    DVD-ROM ($60 for a new one)
    USB mini keyboard ($20)

    And there you have a pretty much complete system for about $350. I only had to buy the motherboard and the mini keyboard as the other parts were laying around from other systems. Sure it's not cutting edge technology but it's able to boot from the windows logo to mediacar in 35 seconds so thats pretty good for me for the first setup.

    I also have a spare tv tuner, web cam and a bluetooth dongle that will allow me to use the internet in the car.

    What I don't have is a gps receiver but that will soon change

    Anyways thats it for now, if you need anymore help let us know

Similar Threads

  1. 8.4" Capacitive USB VGA Touchscreen
    By Euclid in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
  2. VGA to COMPOSITE
    By gsand in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 04:15 PM
  3. Trade: 8" VGA USB Touchscreen *for* 10.4" VGA touchscreen.
    By Euclid in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 10:43 PM
  4. FS. VGA to TV (composite and s-VHS) converters.
    By Casper in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2002, 04:33 PM
  5. composite -> vga
    By mp3z24 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2002, 09:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •