Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: 93 lumina with 133mhz

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    112

    93 lumina with 133mhz

    ok this is what i got a 133mhz Packard Bell with 1.6GB harddrive and my computer already has the TV and FM input card (it came with my computer). My car is a 93 Lumina Euro. I just want a MP3 player and i want my computer to control everything (speakers and so on) Any help will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    664
    I don't mean to be rude or anything, but good luck. It's kind of tough to make a good system out of that.

  3. #3
    FLAC Gutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Casina, Italy
    Posts
    901
    Hah! My first system as a P133 and ran beautifully. Older computers handle hot/cold weather better than newer systems.

    DMN, you should run MSDOS or DRDOS with MPXPlay. You might be interested in my site as it deals with building a system with a P133. You'll definitely need a larger hard drive, though, but that'll only be an extra $60.

  4. #4
    FLAC DodgeCummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    DFW area
    Posts
    1,386
    My P120, does moving map and mp3s simultaneously just fine.

    I don't know how good your sound card will...well...sound. Other than that, look at some of the other topics here about amps and speakers etc.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter
    Hah! My first system as a P133 and ran beautifully. Older computers handle hot/cold weather better than newer systems.

    DMN, you should run MSDOS or DRDOS with MPXPlay. You might be interested in my site as it deals with building a system with a P133. You'll definitely need a larger hard drive, though, but that'll only be an extra $60.
    thanks man i will look over your site in more detail when i have time

    P.S. I am a unemployed teenager i have no money, i just really want to try this

  6. #6
    Registered User blackboxprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Greenfield, Ohio
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by D M N
    thanks man i will look over your site in more detail when i have time

    P.S. I am a unemployed teenager i have no money, i just really want to try this

    what would everyone suggest as a display for a system such as this?

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    509

    Talking

    I had a 133 Packard bell
    first off, asses the damage, if you have the sound card/ modem combo toss it 1. its a ***** to get drivers for and 2. sound quality is lacking, buy a newer card
    Next you need a new hard drive, since the computer has a bios limitation you have 2 choices, buy a PCI IDE card or use software to override the BIOS only problem is the Software route can be considerably slower than the dedicated IDE card
    Next you probably have the built in S3 trio video card as far as i know there was no TV out put so go pick up a used ATI or nVidia card if you truly want the cheap way out
    Finally you'll need at least 32 MB of ram and not a Megabyte more than 64! (they had crappy northbridge chips that slowed down considerably when more than 64Mb were installed) and i think all of the P1 systems put out by PB were EDO ram so good luck trying to find some cheap ram!
    I think thats about it if you need any more info contact me!

    P.S. if you ever see a computer in the trash take it i found a system in the snow 2 days ago that is twice as fast as what you have now

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Hcomplyr
    I had a 133 Packard bell
    first off, asses the damage, if you have the sound card/ modem combo toss it 1. its a ***** to get drivers for and 2. sound quality is lacking, buy a newer card
    Next you need a new hard drive, since the computer has a bios limitation you have 2 choices, buy a PCI IDE card or use software to override the BIOS only problem is the Software route can be considerably slower than the dedicated IDE card
    Next you probably have the built in S3 trio video card as far as i know there was no TV out put so go pick up a used ATI or nVidia card if you truly want the cheap way out
    Finally you'll need at least 32 MB of ram and not a Megabyte more than 64! (they had crappy northbridge chips that slowed down considerably when more than 64Mb were installed) and i think all of the P1 systems put out by PB were EDO ram so good luck trying to find some cheap ram!
    I think thats about it if you need any more info contact me!

    P.S. if you ever see a computer in the trash take it i found a system in the snow 2 days ago that is twice as fast as what you have now
    Thanks man i will keep that inmind

  9. #9
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Memphis - TN
    Posts
    1,272
    Platiunum 55?
    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
    AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Custommx3
    Platiunum 55?
    nope Platinum 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 93 accord SE: The Lost Cause
    By fluffy2097 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 04:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •