Looking for feedback on initial components, USB vs. PCI, power related mostly
I am just getting started with planning my car PC for my 2002 Audi S4. I've read a TON on this forum (amazing amount of info) but I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to straight up electronics / car stereo stuff - I'm not much use (I will have an experienced installer help me). Infrastructure messaging consulting I know a thing or two about, though :)
First things first...
Intended use: DVD \ Divx movie viewing, MP3, GPS (voice controlled), internet access via wifi, possible future Xbox integration, ODBII integration (Vag-Com software currently), phone and camera hook up (USB)
Requirements: P4 capapble, PC in trunk (but still small as possible case), DVD in glove box, stock head unit (Bose), Opus controller type functionality, (easily removable) touch screen, medium video performance (i.e. gaming may or may not enter in the future. video should be great now, but gaming needs may push it over the edge in the future), medium audio performance (I'm fine with the stock Bose sound, and for anyone that knows - that's really not that good :) ), ideal = USB hub or ports located in center console
So, based on that I have the following ideas..
P4 motherboard and case (not sure based on some questions below)
Opus 150w power supply (everything I've read seems to confirm I should get this)
Start with 256MB RAM (w/ possibility of going to 512)
Start with P4 2G Celeron
2.5" internal notebook drive (20GB)
USB external drive (40GB)
Internal CD-ROM drive
External (USB) DVD slim line drive
Xenarc 700TSV 7" touch screen display
Wireless card (not sure based on questions below, I have PCMCIA, thinking I should get a USB one based on case choice implications)
GPS (will do down the road, but pretty sure it will be USB based)
Video card (Radeon 9000?)
Audio - on board?
Yup, a lot of holes in there. They mainly center around these questions:
- What are power consumption differences between USB and PCI\PCMCIA? i.e. I'm not sure which way to go on some of these based on not knowing if it'd be better to go with a PCI version vs. USB (which obviously impacts case size, etc.) from a power perspective. From all I've read, power is the key, and I want to make sure I follow that advice.
- Which Radeon would seem to support my needs? I have done little research here, so feel free to ignore. One thing though: approximate power usage of the 9000?
- With a possible 5-6 USB devices attached - does anyone forsee any issues? I'll need a USB hub most likely, any advice on that is appreciated.
- I've seen the power calculator at http://www.mini-box.com/powersimulator.html and references to a P4 style one, but I haven't been able to find it (saw some posts on a sticky referring to one, but that seems to be gone?) Or can I just use that one? (yes, as advertised, I'm clueless here)
- 'Ballparking it' - should the Opus be able to meet my requirements if I go USB on all of the things in question?
Whew...Looking at this it still feels like a total mess, sorry :) I hope someone can give me some pointers re: the USB / PCI/PCMCIA issue (first) which should allow me to finalize the case/motherboard combo.
Thanks all for reading, I appreciate your time and any feedback you have.