Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: my c70's carputer need help

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    25

    Question my c70's carputer need help

    This will be my first carputer and i am in dire need of help

    attached are some pictures of the inside of my car.

    this is what i want to do with my car and i want you guys to tell me how to do it:

    do you guys see where the radio and 3-disc cd changer are? thats where i want to put my touchscreen. i was thinking of getting a xenarc unless that isnt possible. i want to remove the entire headunit and just have my screen there instead, will i be able to do this without a headunit? will i still be able to connect my radio to my screen and possibly get a new cd-changer and put it in my trunk?

    do i HAVE to have a headunit in my car to be able to connect my speakers to the computer? or do i just need to get some amps?

    i have many more questions but i will start here

    the headunit pictured is a little bit wider than 7"
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    242
    If you car dosn't have an amp built in, you will need amps to power the signal from your computer to your speakers. If it has one built in, you could use it, otherwise you need to bypass it or somthing. You could fit a screen in there. It might take some cutting or you might need a custom face plate but it can be done.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate BoraXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    657
    all i see from that second picture is the word MOLD

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate craigyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    UK, Sale, Cheshire
    Posts
    404
    Probably the worst choice of car to do a car PC on. It's so complex. The way I understand it, the C70 has about 13 speakers, half driven by the HU and half driven by a 4CH 100W amp (or 50W) buried somewhere in the car.

    It's HU is dolby decoder that splits the sound into 4.1 with some very strange sub mixing to cope with stereo signals. I've seen the flow chart and it's crazy. But it means that driver and passenger both feel as though they are sat in the middle of the car.

    How are you going to connect to the 13 speakers, including the center and I think that there is a sub as well but I couldn't see it on any diagrams.

    I think that the best thing to do is keep the HU, mount the screen elsewhere and use an adaptor into the 6-CD connection at the back to give you an
    Aux input. That's what I did with mine. The adaptor is about $89 from the states.

    Other than that - well good luck - I'd like to see the results....

    Craig
    Audi S8 supercar
    Modded Xbox 400GB HD
    Rear 7" screen & navplus

    Toyota Hiace Van
    Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
    MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
    Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by craigyb
    Probably the worst choice of car to do a car PC on. It's so complex. The way I understand it, the C70 has about 13 speakers, half driven by the HU and half driven by a 4CH 100W amp (or 50W) buried somewhere in the car.

    It's HU is dolby decoder that splits the sound into 4.1 with some very strange sub mixing to cope with stereo signals. I've seen the flow chart and it's crazy. But it means that driver and passenger both feel as though they are sat in the middle of the car.

    How are you going to connect to the 13 speakers, including the center and I think that there is a sub as well but I couldn't see it on any diagrams.

    I think that the best thing to do is keep the HU, mount the screen elsewhere and use an adaptor into the 6-CD connection at the back to give you an
    Aux input. That's what I did with mine. The adaptor is about $89 from the states.

    Other than that - well good luck - I'd like to see the results....

    Craig
    It should not be too hard, I mean my car has 10 speakers and I'm doing it fine. Although, his is probably more complex, if he really wants to (he's going to need time and information) he can do it. Just have to get wiring diagrams, take out all the amps, get new amps, find out what speakers should be: front, rear, center, sub and he's about done.

    Side note: a few of the speakers are probably hooked to crossovers (such as mids and highs) so that should make it even easier.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    25
    well my car doesnt have any stock amps, and there are a lot of speakers in my car, which will make it even better when its finished.

    BUT i am definitely willing to get amps and wire this all up with the help of a guide or a diagram for my car. does anyone know where i can get one?


    so basically will i be able to control my radio and a cd-changer through the touchscreen is what im askng and the answer seems to be yes.

    do you guys think i will have to mold out a whole new console or do you think i can get away with just making a mold for the surrounding edges of the screen and fitting it into the where the headunit is now?

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratboy2700
    well my car doesnt have any stock amps, and there are a lot of speakers in my car, which will make it even better when its finished.

    BUT i am definitely willing to get amps and wire this all up with the help of a guide or a diagram for my car. does anyone know where i can get one?


    so basically will i be able to control my radio and a cd-changer through the touchscreen is what im askng and the answer seems to be yes.

    do you guys think i will have to mold out a whole new console or do you think i can get away with just making a mold for the surrounding edges of the screen and fitting it into the where the headunit is now?
    1st, where do you live? If you live close, I could help you out. I would search the web for diagrams on your stereo system. Try to find Volvo clubs (I know there are not many out there, sadly). You could also call your dealer, or see if a local stereo shop has them. Maybe Crutchfield.com has one, shoot them an e-mail.

    Control your radio and cd-changer...you mean the ones you have in there now? No, not unless you want to program software and wire them all up. What I am doing is just converting all my CD'S to MP3 format and playing them on the computer. For radio, I might just get XM and say forget FM. Otherwise I will get a FM tuner card and use that. I use a Griffin Technologies Powermate for a volume knob.

    The screen will probably just be the right size to fit in that hole. You might need to ditch the lower buttons though, but the Lilliput has a remote so that should be fine.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    25
    i live in LA, close to beverly hills

    i dont want it to control the radio or cd-changer that are in-dash right now, i want to get, say, a 6 cd-changer a nd have it be controlled by the touchscreen. and have it show an equlaizer of the music if possible.

    and if i ever feel the need to listen to the radio i will be able to do that throught the touchscreen as well, will i need an tv/fm-tuner card for this?

    where do you live spaceboy

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratboy2700
    i live in LA, close to beverly hills

    i dont want it to control the radio or cd-changer that are in-dash right now, i want to get, say, a 6 cd-changer a nd have it be controlled by the touchscreen. and have it show an equlaizer of the music if possible.

    and if i ever feel the need to listen to the radio i will be able to do that throught the touchscreen as well, will i need an tv/fm-tuner card for this?

    where do you live spaceboy
    Ha nice, I'm out here in the west valley. Maybe like 30mins from you, right off the 101. Well I'm not to sure about it controlling a 6 CD-changer because you would have to make custom software and figure out how to control it from the computer. The best way is to just get a DVD drive for your computer (or maybe two CD-ROM drives?) and use that(those). But you should look into copying all your Cd's to MP3 format. Yes, to listen to FM radio you will need a TV/FM tuner for that. Run a on here for that. I'm still deciding on which one I want. If you want to talk, you can get me on AIM @ Spaceboy464. But I probably will not be on tonight.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    25
    well if i am going to have all my mp3s there then i might as well just use my mp3 library instead of burning cd's

    and also back to my other question about molding.

    do you think i will be able to just put the screen in the middle there without making a new console? that would be great if i could if i cant then ill find another way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Good time to buy carputer components?
    By Linus in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 08:57 PM
  2. Full carputer stereo replacement? Opinions Welcome.
    By jasonsp6 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 11:42 PM
  3. laptop carputer - noobie needs help :)
    By bigdongers in forum Newbie
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 08:19 PM
  4. Thinking of selling my old carputer for an ipod
    By churnopol in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 10:10 AM
  5. help - starting up carputer
    By tilezzzzz in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 12:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •