Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: booting from flash card faster than HD?

  1. #21
    Maximum Bitrate eCarô's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    810
    Instead of flash memory, wouldn't it be possible to use volatile RAM and a battery?

  2. #22
    FreeDrive Creator CdRsKuLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,513
    if your looking at fast boot times, then look down the road of hibernation.. your looking at bootup time of less than 10 sec's in most cases.. also remember to remove all the auto settings in then bios for your drives set em manual.. this say you will save alittle more time.

  3. #23
    Variable Bitrate NJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    294
    I am playing around with the Eval version of windows Embedded studio to see If I can reduce the boot up time. At present I have a 117mb footprint that boots to the windows XP shell and has NO swap drive at all hence would be suitable for Flash drive (I aready have the ide flash adaptor so not far off)

    What I would say though is from experience XPe is not that much quicker to boot than regular XP as it only really a component version of it. Even with stripping out things I didn't need for the 1st attempt (COM1, LPT, IE, DirectX, LAN) it still take 45seconds on a Eden800 to boot from cold.

    I presume these devices that use Windows Embedded don't really turn off when you hit the power button and are in effect doing a STR ???

  4. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by eCarô
    Instead of flash memory, wouldn't it be possible to use volatile RAM and a battery?
    Sure would, the correct name for this is non-volatile RAM. a couple of years ago there was a clever little design that took old 72pin RAM and generated a clock...

    (ehhh... ok a little explanation is in order here, what you call RAM is actually "Dynamic RAM", which requires a constant clock being supplied to it or it loses it's memory, the opposite to this is "Static RAM" which doesnít require a clock, and hence is good for battery backed use, but it has its down sides as well)

    And then put the whole thing behind an IDE controller... *poof* instant cheap non-volatile battery backed up storage! I think they went out of business!

    I havenít seen anything like this is the last few years, great idea tho...

  5. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL
    if your looking at fast boot times, then look down the road of hibernation.. your looking at bootup time of less than 10 sec's in most cases.. also remember to remove all the auto settings in then bios for your drives set em manual.. this say you will save alittle more time.
    Yes, although I hate hibernation as it seems to always be a problem.
    And your quite correct about the correct hard drive setting for the BIOS setup, donít leave anything set to automatic, as that eats tons of time at boot up.

    The one exception to this is in the case of a removable hard drive, in which case you do want to leave it set to automatic (Ďcuz it might not always be there, or may change size, type, etc)

  6. #26
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by NJay
    I am playing around with the Eval version of windows Embedded studio to see If I can reduce the boot up time. At present I have a 117mb footprint
    Nice.... you must of stripped alot out to get it that small, is network support still left in?
    Quote Originally Posted by NJay
    that boots to the windows XP shell and has NO swap drive at all hence would be suitable for Flash drive (I aready have the ide flash adaptor so not far off)
    Which one??
    Quote Originally Posted by NJay
    What I would say though is from experience XPe is not that much quicker to boot than regular XP as it only really a component version of it. Even with stripping out things I didn't need for the 1st attempt (COM1, LPT, IE, DirectX, LAN) it still take 45seconds on a Eden800 to boot from cold.
    That can't be true, 'cuz that would mean Microsoft lied to us, and we know that doesn't happen Have you tried BOOTVIS yet? Could be a third party device driver slowing you down. The "party line" from the good folks at M$ is that a "minimally configured" system can boot in 17 seconds, I have not seen this actually happen, and my experiences sound similar to yours... Actually my favorite embedded version of Windows is not Win NTe or Win XPe, but Win 2000! (Yeah I know it is not componentized). I can strip out all but 8 processes running and give an 850Mhz P3 the "feel" of a 2Ghz P4! And still have networking, plug-n-pray, graphics, etc). BTW that 45 second boot time is the same for my stripped Win2k.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJay
    I presume these devices that use Windows Embedded don't really turn off when you hit the power button and are in effect doing a STR ???
    Lost you on STR? STR to me means a string?
    But if I get your question correctly, the power status of embedded devices can be alot different than a standard PC with ATX psu, like holding up power, etc. Naturally this is not "doable" in a car! (Ignoring tank circuits, UPS, etc)

  7. #27
    Maximum Bitrate Marsupial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    763
    Njay this is interesting.

    any documentation?
    -Mars

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. win9x booting without video card
    By boris_tubak in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2003, 04:56 PM
  2. What is the benefit of booting from flash memory?
    By rbarr110 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 02:57 AM
  3. booting motherboard without video card
    By harry in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-05-2001, 10:10 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2001, 07:28 PM
  5. Booting Win95/98 without video card
    By SeenaStyle in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2000, 06:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •