Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Quesion for all you ITX users w/ Opus

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate Rith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    P'cola, FLA
    Posts
    133

    Post Quesion for all you ITX users w/ Opus

    When you guys get out of the car, do you set your computer to goto standby or does it shut down... Basicly I was wondering because wouldnt it be a pain to wait 45 seconds for your comp to come on, as oposied to having a laptop as your car pc and set it to standby, as it will only take about 5 seconds to be ready.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate Bravellir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    741
    hibernate, then just 15-20 secs to music on. On everyday use you almost forget thats a computer.
    Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
    Status -->
    Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
    BraveCar 2.5

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    193
    Standby, just 5 sec to music playing...

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate Bravellir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Izik
    Standby, just 5 sec to music playing...
    with standby you can't cut the power to the pc, thus you have to leave your car with all that usb devices and the pc itself powered, sorry, just don't feel confortable about it.
    Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
    Status -->
    Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
    BraveCar 2.5

  5. #5
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Rith
    When you guys get out of the car, do you set your computer to goto standby or does it shut down... Basicly I was wondering because wouldnt it be a pain to wait 45 seconds for your comp to come on, as oposied to having a laptop as your car pc and set it to standby, as it will only take about 5 seconds to be ready.
    Laptop's aren't the only thing that can go into standby!

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate Rith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    P'cola, FLA
    Posts
    133

    Izuk

    With your computer on standby, thats having your dome light on in your car.. do you ever run into problems with your battery dying?

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    193
    The USB devices will stay powered only if the computer leaves the 5v rail connected (as oppose to just the 3.3v like it suppose to). And even then it is trivial to put a relay that will disconnect them when switched 12v is off.

    The PC is not "powered" it is pulsing the memory, just like the radio does when powered off so you wouldn't loose your presets. Maybe I should have been more specific, I meant standby S3, also called suspend to ram.

    I went on a business trip for two weeks with the computer in standby with no problems. Oh and btw, if you do get low on battery the opus will cut power to the computer so you don't need to worry about it.

    When I just installed the carputer (about a year ago for me) I wasn't comfortable with it too. Then I tried it for a few weeks and realized that it isn't a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bravellir
    with standby you can't cut the power to the pc, thus you have to leave your car with all that usb devices and the pc itself powered, sorry, just don't feel confortable about it.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate Rith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    P'cola, FLA
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Izik
    The USB devices will stay powered only if the computer leaves the 5v rail connected (as oppose to just the 3.3v like it suppose to). And even then it is trivial to put a relay that will disconnect them when switched 12v is off.
    Confused... If I use a 4-port hub connected to the usb on the itx board and it goes in standby, the usb devices will shut off right?

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    193
    It depends on the motherboard. Some (like the VIA EPIA) leave the USB ports powered so the hub will stay on. This behavior is sometimes desired (and other times not). In my setup, I want the port connecting the GPS receiver to stay on. This way the GPS receiver maintains the satellite lock. If it was turned off it would take 30-40 seconds to come up every time I start the car. On the other hand I have the DVD player connected to a hub that is turned on/off by the relay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rith
    Confused... If I use a 4-port hub connected to the usb on the itx board and it goes in standby, the usb devices will shut off right?

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate Rith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    P'cola, FLA
    Posts
    133
    So what exactly is this relay you speak of..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Opus Users: What case are you using?
    By bambooracer in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:02 AM
  2. Opus ATX and ITX PSU - Difference?
    By phoTToniq in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 04:21 AM
  3. Opus ITX Vehicle Workstation
    By Cirrus in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 04:08 PM
  4. Opus and Casetronics C-134 Mini ITX
    By millec in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 01:31 AM
  5. ITX PSU - What Alternitives Are There To The Opus One
    By ccsnet in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2003, 07:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •