Going to replace stock radio with CarPC & 5" LCD. Some Q's:
I just got a cheap PSone LCD screen ( $16.99 @ toys R us). This opened up my imagination to all the possibilities as to what one could do with an LCD screen.
I came to the conclusion that I want to make a carpc/dvd player.
This is going to be for an 04 Cavalier. The stock radio is huge. Here is what I'm thinking:
I imagine there are dash kits/bezels that I could buy that would take up the big gaping hole that would be left if I were to take my radio out. Then I would be able to cut out a spot for the 5" screen.
I could take my passenger side airbag out (yes i know it sounds stupid), and put a mini-ITX board in there. I assume I will have to buy an amp (maybe there's a way to reuse the radio's amp?) to send the audio through my speakers. a problem I see here is having a airbag dummy light on my dash lighting up after this..
I could use a slot loader imac dvd drive to play CDs & DVDs.
Here are my questions:
1) How would I get radio from an ITX computer? This is my biggest problem so far.
2) will removing the airbag and/or fuse light up a dummy light? How do you get around that? if no way, I guess I could use the glove box, or mount it in my trunk and run cables.
3) Dash kits. Do they make dash kits for LCD screens? Will the PSone LCD screen fit in my dash?
4) Sound. Can I reuse my old radio some how, or will I just have to buy an amp. all I have are the 4 stock speakers, no subs or anything.
5) ODB-II. I just briefly read this topic before posting here. This sounds outstanding! How would you interface the computer with your car's ECU? I see there's software to read it. This makes me want a carpc even more! :D
6) Parts suppliers. Where can I find some of these accessories for cheaper? IE: PSU, the automatic power up/power down with your ignition device .. cables, etc..
I think that's about it. Sorry for the extremely long post. I'm very excited about this.Thanks for any help!!