Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: In dash dvd and computer

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    In dash dvd and computer

    Hey guys i'm new to this site and the whole concept of putting in a computer in your car. but i've always wanted this. My question is this, if i were to get a in-dash dvd player(Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.) that has a S-video input and get a computer that has a S-Video output would i be able to use the computer like that or would i have to buy a touchscreen(xenarc,Lilliput, etc)?

    Also if it would work with the S-video would i have the touchscreen function with the computer or not?
    thanks.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by lostcause82
    Hey guys i'm new to this site and the whole concept of putting in a computer in your car. but i've always wanted this. My question is this, if i were to get a in-dash dvd player(Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.) that has a S-video input and get a computer that has a S-Video output would i be able to use the computer like that or would i have to buy a touchscreen(xenarc,Lilliput, etc)?

    Also if it would work with the S-video would i have the touchscreen function with the computer or not?
    thanks.
    I will leave major flaming to others (although you definitely deserve it)

    yes, you can use s-video to s-video. If you don't use touchscreen, you will still be able to use the computer if you have mouse/touchpad/keyboard attached (duh)
    Unless you buy a separate touchscreen or somehow manage to hi-jack the one on the in-dash unit (highly unlikely) you won't have the touchscreen functionality with windows, just with the unit itself.

    Now I answered the questions as you asked them, I neglected to go into important details such as qaulity... but go ahead and that, might prove useful.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    45
    If you had a computer why would you need an in-dash pioneer? Just get a vga screen and forget about the head unit. This reminds me of the beer comercial where they say, "You don't need the lime wedge." Well guess what, you don't need the head unit. A computer can do everything any head unit can do.

  4. #4
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    S-Video will suck for reading your computer text. If you don't already own the headunit, don't buy it. Spend the money on a proper VGA screen instead.

    To answer your question: If you get a motherboard that has S-Video output and you get a screen that accepts S-Video input, then YES, it should work together.

    No, you will not be able to use your touchscreen to control the computer. That would require that the touchscreen be somehow hooked up to the computer. With the Lilliput or Xenarc screens, there is a USB cable that connects to a controller, then to the actual touchscreen. Software runs the USB interface and emulates a mouse. If you buy a Kenwood or Pioneer, you would have to figure out how to connect to the touchscreen controller by tapping in to the wires inside the case. If that's not USB, you'd have to write some kind of custom controller software to make it work. Are you prepared to do that?

    Plan on $1,300 for the system. If that scares you, don't waste your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  5. #5
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte
    S-VHS will suck for reading your computer text. If you don't already own the headunit, don't buy it. Spend the money on a proper VGA screen instead.
    S-VHS?
    You mean S-Video, I'm certain.

    Thinking about it, I haven't used a videotape in almost 5 years....
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  6. #6
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    S-VHS?
    You mean S-Video, I'm certain.
    DOH! Yes, S-Video.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by slappy
    If you had a computer why would you need an in-dash pioneer? Just get a vga screen and forget about the head unit. This reminds me of the beer comercial where they say, "You don't need the lime wedge." Well guess what, you don't need the head unit. A computer can do everything any head unit can do.
    really? this is news to me...

    i guess you have a shíte sound system in your car then?

  8. #8
    cheap custom title JC-S60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ghent - Belgium
    Posts
    1,863
    Owwwww man... 2 posts and already saying stupid things... better read-up or shut up

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by JC-S60
    Owwwww man... 2 posts and already saying stupid things... better read-up or shut up
    ha..

    if whoever my original comment was posted to (erm, not you) has a soundcard worhy of bettering an indash dvd player (Pioneer/Kenwood was mantioned iirc) then i totally retract my comments..

    actually, since you got on your high horse, perhaps you'd care to find me an economically viable audio solution through a "carputer" that will better say a Pioneer avh p-7500 unit.
    that'll be 24-bit burr brown dacs please


  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by kw_maher
    ha..

    if whoever my original comment was posted to (erm, not you) has a soundcard worhy of bettering an indash dvd player (Pioneer/Kenwood was mantioned iirc) then i totally retract my comments..

    actually, since you got on your high horse, perhaps you'd care to find me an economically viable audio solution through a "carputer" that will better say a Pioneer avh p-7500 unit.
    that'll be 24-bit burr brown dacs please

    I am no expert on this, but there is a whole separate part of the forum for the audio questions like that... there is even a sticky on the subject, and there are some people here that are running without headunits and seem to have survived just fine.

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...99639#poststop

    The sound producing part of her setup (CarPC and processing unit) is cheaper than the pioneer unit you were talking about. In fact the price tag of another Pioneer unit (AVIC N1) is what made me consider the carputer approach to begin with.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 07:40 PM
  2. dvd slot load in dash/ computer in trunk
    By nova_guy in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 11:27 AM
  3. Complete solution, COMPUTER, SCREEN +DVD player for your car!
    By wrxmaster in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 02:26 PM
  4. Mounting ideas for slimline dvd player in dash
    By psyclobe in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 10:52 AM
  5. Quition with computer and dvd?
    By darrin2k in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 02:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •