hey guys, ive been browsing for a bit and wanted a few answers to questions i have please.
i have a vaux vectra with an alpine cd/media station screen with seperate dvd player and two headrest screens.Also, there is a pda (axim x5)with tomtom installed but unfortunately , the pins on the bottom of the pda have bent and broken, rendering the tomtom navigation useless as it will not connect.
now, i cant be bothered getting a new pda or serial gps so im going to get a car pc.
mainly because my business includes using the car all the time for work (i travel a lot) and i use microsoft utlook for appointments.
i also need gps and mp3 etc....
thats why i want a car pc. (and because they look sweet as a nut, and im a gadget freak )
i will get another screen (a touch screen lilliput one) and install it in the passenger side, so passengers can watch dvd`s etc...and have media engine on it.
the sound will be routed through the alpines spare aux inputs
the questions i have are as follows:
1. would this be ok? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...759355293&rd=1
2. whats the best touch screen , and what would you recommend (great picture quality is a must)
3. what gps would i need . i.e a usb one? also, can i use my existing tomtom navigation?
4 .can i connect the pc to the alpine headunit as well as the touch screen for viewing dvd`s? (if so, i will sell my dvd player)
5 . what power supply do i need, and will it power off and on automatically using my cars ignition.?
6. do i need a decent graphics card WITH tv out.(my alpine hu/screen has a few spare composite video inputs)
7. do i need a remote control, keyboard or mouse, or does the touch screen do everything?
8. do i need anything else apart from software?
sorry for the questions, but i want to be sure thanks guys
heres a pic of what i have installed at the mo:
1. It looks good to me if you don't mind the slow CPU.
Originally Posted by S.L.Y
2. You probably don't want to ask this question without first searching as you will get flamed for doing otherwise. AKA everyone asks this question.
3. It can be either USB or serial. Tom Tom is for pocket devices only so you will have to get some software that will work on your PC.
4. I would assume you could hook it up to both.
5. You will definitely want to search for this one too, as it is a very common question. Check the newbie FAQ and power supply forum.
6. That just depends on your own preferances and your needs. I probably wouldn't get a vid. card that is too extreme as it won't make a big dif. on your touchscreen.
7. You can do most everything with the touchscreen because you can use the OSK that comes with windows or that is built in the apps you use. It is all just a matter of convenience. I find it nice to have an extra keyboard/mouse combo with me (under the seat).
8. For what?
You are definitely going to want to do a lot of reading and preperation before you get too far into it. Also I would advise that you check out the completed projects forum.
AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
-AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.