Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Why the 5400 RPM hard drives? Power issues?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27

    Unhappy Why the 5400 RPM hard drives? Power Questions...

    Is this becuase of the 150 watt power supplies? I never thought power would be an issue, but I guess I understand. Does this mean my dream of a nvidia 6600 car computer is a bust?

  2. #2
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    I think your dream would be burst if you looked at the power consumption of the 6600

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27
    Hrmmmm, well I'm not one for letting my dreams burst. How would I go around this issue, a dc amplifier?

    Sorry about the questions, I'm quite new at this subject.

    Mainly the video car is for a winamp visualizer.

  4. #4
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewuser
    Hrmmmm, well I'm not one for letting my dreams burst. How would I go around this issue, a dc amplifier?

    Sorry about the questions, I'm quite new at this subject.

    Mainly the video car is for a winamp visualizer.
    Wow! That must be one hell of a visualization to require so much processing power! If you want good graphics, go with an nForce chipset and an athlon XP system.

    You can also use two DC-DC power supplies. One problem with inverters is that they may make a really annoying whine, and they are inefficient.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    201
    Dont let people say youre dreams are gonna burst. The systems most people have suck as far as power is concerned. 0I33I wrote navivoice so i know he knows what hes doing. But there are plenty of solutions for going around the power issues. Some people use dual supplies. Or just get an inverter and a big *** desktop PSU. Although inefficent it will work just fine if its done properly.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27
    Look up winamp and R4 visualizer. Right now on my gaming machine, p4 3.0ghz, 6800 gt oc, it looks amazing, with very stunning graphics.

    I want this in my car, as well as GPS, DVD playback and of course my mp3 folders.

    I wish to install a 10,000rpm sata drive w/ a few fast boot "hacks" installed into xp home. I don't want to start my car up and wait 30 sec to hear my music haha.

    I also don't want to drain my battery to death, also I'm a tad confused on how when I shut down my car 50+ times it doesn't kill my computer (car computer).

    I have much to learn and am reading tons right now.

  7. #7
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by sansoo24
    Dont let people say youre dreams are gonna burst. The systems most people have suck as far as power is concerned. 0I33I wrote navivoice so i know he knows what hes doing. But there are plenty of solutions for going around the power issues. Some people use dual supplies. Or just get an inverter and a big *** desktop PSU. Although inefficent it will work just fine if its done properly.
    Thanks

    But I'm saying that the 6600 is only needed for games. And games aren't going to be GREAT on a 7" LCD.

    A big *** desktop PSU will drain your battery.

    I'm not advocating the use of VIA products just so you guys know. VIA = underpowered in my book (atleast for what I'm going to be using my carputer for)

  8. #8
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewuser
    Look up winamp and R4 visualizer. Right now on my gaming machine, p4 3.0ghz, 6800 gt oc, it looks amazing, with very stunning graphics.

    I want this in my car, as well as GPS, DVD playback and of course my mp3 folders.

    I wish to install a 10,000rpm sata drive w/ a few fast boot "hacks" installed into xp home. I don't want to start my car up and wait 30 sec to hear my music haha.

    I also don't want to drain my battery to death, also I'm a tad confused on how when I shut down my car 50+ times it doesn't kill my computer (car computer).

    I have much to learn and am reading tons right now.
    I know that winamp visualizations look awesome, but you have to ask yourself the question: "is it worth having another thing distracting your attention while driving?".

    No one uses XP home.

    10,000 RPM hard drive is going to give you faster boot times. But they also run hotter, and have less storage space. And they require more power.

    If you use a "normal" carputer setup, then it will not drain your battery when the car is off. After the computer is shut down, then just the circuit that waits for a on trigger is active. This does not use a lot of power.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27
    The visualizer isn't for me. XP home has faster boot time. Some of Pro's software can not be disabled for fast boot, that's why I was thinking home.
    The heat from the 10,000rpm drive is fine cooling is not a problem for me, and 74 gigs is fine for me.

    I must assume that there is a solution to the power situation. I have yet to learn about the power manage systems, like when the shuts off, I'm reading about that now.

    I'm not trying to argue as I'm new at this, but I must believe there is a power sollution, but perhaps their isn't?

  10. #10
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewuser
    The visualizer isn't for me. XP home has faster boot time. Some of Pro's software can not be disabled for fast boot, that's why I was thinking home.
    The heat from the 10,000rpm drive is fine cooling is not a problem for me, and 74 gigs is fine for me.

    I must assume that there is a solution to the power situation. I have yet to learn about the power manage systems, like when the shuts off, I'm reading about that now.

    I'm not trying to argue as I'm new at this, but I must believe there is a power sollution, but perhaps their isn't?
    Fine, go with an inverter and a tank setup.

    One set of advice: learn from other people's mistakes. Some members have spend over $500 on powering their inverter systems.

    There's also another problem with using a 10,000RPM drive in the car. I think that it creates too much vibration, which is bad for the drive while driving. In general, its a bad idea. Its just spinning too fast. I'm sure that other members will agree

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. External USB Aluminum case for laptop hard drives
    By jarubio in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 07:24 AM
  2. Ethics and hard drives
    By Chairboy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 11:21 PM
  3. Power issues in 03 Mustang
    By tj!2k4 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
  4. New system design...power issues...
    By lookinco in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 03:11 PM
  5. Power Issues
    By kmkestell in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 08:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •