Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What size inverter for 200w PC power supply? plus ATX shutdown question

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    32

    What size inverter for 200w PC power supply? plus ATX shutdown question

    Okay, if the answer is "200watts, silly" then I promise to stand in the corner for 15 minutes. But I'm going to ask because I don't think that's the answer because 200w refers to the amount of power it supplies, no?



    Also, I'm thinking about hooking up my LCD to an ATX PS that's plugged into an inverter. Old AT power supplies used switches that are either on or off and would, therefore, power up my LCD as soon as the inverter supplied power. But ATX based computers use momentary switches.

    So, does that mean that I will have to manually turn the PS back on every time the car is started and NOT have to manually turn it 'off' when I stop my car, because it will power down automatically?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Constant Bitrate emdzey01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    san fernando valley
    Posts
    197
    start your 15 minutes. lol

    actually, you'd want something more than 200w. you'll never know when you'd need the extra power.

    maybe 350w?

    or just get an opus.
    Brushed Metal for Centrafuse 1.4
    Brushed Aluminum for Centrafuse 1.4


    xenarc 700ts | via epia-m10k | audigy2 nx | holux gm-210 | usb wifi | 40gb 2.5" | slot-load dvd-cdrw | morex 3688 | opus 150w | centrafuse, iguidance

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by emdzey01
    start your 15 minutes. lol
    PfffffT! LOL

    actually, you'd want something more than 200w. you'll never know when you'd need the extra power.

    maybe 350w?
    I just thought there might be some ballpark conversion from "DC power supplied by unit" to "AC power required by unit"

    or just get an opus.
    It's all money, convenience and ease of install right now. I've already got an inverter and even if it's not big enough, I can be ready to go within the next hour by running out and picking up a 400W inverter & an ATX power supply for $25-$30 each.

    I've just browsed through some retail webpages and I can't find any info on power draw for PS units. The info's got to be out there......

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    32
    I guess this is a rough answer to my question.

    [if] 300 is the maximum power of the PSU [and] 120 is your supply Voltage.

    ....The average PSU in a computer will operate at about 80% efficiency due to the nature of the circuits employed. This means that for the PSU to deliver 300W (va) as rated then it will actually draw about 375W (375va).

    Whilst we know that your Computer will not run at full PSU load, if ever, we will use the full load to give the MAXIMUM cost that should be seen to any user.
    So, a 200W PS could draw 250W if it was running at max and actually outputting 200W of DC. But my LCD draws much less than that, so I could probably get away with something even as small as a 75watt inverter assuming that there isn't some huge draw at the PowerSupply's startup.

  5. #5
    Raw Wave wizardPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    2,635
    BUY AN OPUS! OR AN M1-ATX

    There's just no good reason not to.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardPC
    BUY AN OPUS! OR AN M1-ATX

    There's just no good reason not to.
    I appreciate your reply, but you're wrong. The good reason is called the money in my pocket. What you're suggesting will cost me four to eight times as much money that the PC power supply route will.

    All I need to do is to power an LCD and I'd like something more stable at 12v than the cig-lighter plug that came with it.

    So if it's a decision between spending $164.99 on a 150 watt Opus to power my LCD, or $19.95 on a 265 watt PC power supply, the answer is crystal clear. I'm buying the PC power supply.

  7. #7
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,948
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminyC
    I appreciate your reply, but you're wrong. The good reason is called the money in my pocket. What you're suggesting will cost me four to eight times as much money that the PC power supply route will.
    Time is money, son. Remember that when you spend hours upon hours dicking around with your inverter, especially if you decide to go with a shutdown controller or add something to your setup.

    All I need to do is to power an LCD and I'd like something more stable at 12v than the cig-lighter plug that came with it.
    So cut off the cigarette lighter ent and wire it to a fused 12v line from the battery.

    So if it's a decision between spending $164.99 on a 150 watt Opus to power my LCD, or $19.95 on a 265 watt PC power supply, the answer is crystal clear. I'm buying the PC power supply.
    I wouldn't trust a $20 PC power supply as far as I can throw it. I know for a fact I can get some serious distance from one, especially if you use the connector cables and get some centrifugal force going....
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  8. #8
    Nic
    Nic is offline
    FLAC Nic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminyC
    I guess this is a rough answer to my question.



    So, a 200W PS could draw 250W if it was running at max and actually outputting 200W of DC. But my LCD draws much less than that, so I could probably get away with something even as small as a 75watt inverter assuming that there isn't some huge draw at the PowerSupply's startup.
    i dont care if it says its a 200w power supply its not, power supplys are overrated unless of course you buy an expensive one

    however the same goes with inverters, a cheap 200w invertor wont give you 200w of usable power
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert
    Time is money, son. Remember that when you spend hours upon hours dicking around with your inverter, especially if you decide to go with a shutdown controller or add something to your setup.
    Thanks "dad"

    Give me a break. I don't get paid for my weekend hobbies and I don't get paid for not spending my weekend on my hobbies. The fact is that I'll have more money in my pocket if I spend 6 hours on a $20 solution than if I spend 1 hour on a $200 solution.

    And I didn't spend ANY hours "dicking around" with my inverter. I plugged it in and I was good to go. And in the near future I'll spend another couple bucks to hook up a silicon controlled relay and have my startup/shutdown needs taken care of as well.


    So cut off the cigarette lighter ent and wire it to a fused 12v line from the battery.
    Sounds like more "dicking around" than I'd like to spend my time on, but thanks for the suggestion.


    I bought a $30 200-Watt atx power supply at microcenter and have it plugged into the 75 watt inverter I've owned for 6 years. I now have a very steady 12.1 volts of DC power running to my monitor and everything is working beautifully.

Similar Threads

  1. ATX power supply question
    By dudah85 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. New product - PC Power switch with wired remote
    By hd54321 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 10:48 PM
  3. 2699 case with opus 90w power supply question
    By johnnyutah36 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 01:32 PM
  4. power supply question
    By perlmax90 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2000, 11:16 PM
  5. Have to switch inverter off and on to power up pc
    By mbowler in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-21-2000, 11:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •