Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Saying hi and a few Q's

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2

    Saying hi and a few Q's

    Hey guys, my name is Luke and I'm from the Toronto area (Mississauga). I wanna install a computer into my Cavalier as a project.

    I got a 1.7 AMD Athlon(tm) "Thunderbird" with a mobo, pretty new Nvidia video card, a Maxtor hard drive, a Asus mobo and a pc power supply.

    1. I noticed that there arn't any AMD CPU's in the mp3car.com store, is there a reason for that? Like do they perform better when shaken and under cold temps?

    2. Do I need to be concerned with extreme cold temps? Like with the screen or maybe the HD?

    3. Do I need to put on any filters on the wiering?

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate marshallh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    70
    1. You don't see AMD cpus in the store because they draw tons of power. Most people use VIA Mini-ITX mobos because you can easily get an OPUS pwoer supply for that low-power motherboard.
    Your setup is going to draw tons of power, good luck finding a power supply that will run all of it.

    2. Shaking won't affect CPUs at all, neither will cold. They are completely solid-state, vibration doesn't affect them. I haven't heard of any carpc users having trouble parts failing to vibration or cold.

    3. Could you elaborate a little more on what you mean by 'filters'?
    Progress:
    [■■■■■■■■] 100%
    Mitsubishi 3000GT car computer
    Previous budget Honda carputer

  3. #3
    Banned rev2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallh
    2. Shaking won't affect CPUs at all, neither will cold. They are completely solid-state, vibration doesn't affect them. I haven't heard of any carpc users having trouble parts failing to vibration or cold.
    When PCI extention cards shake loose, they cause problems. Same with some molex power connecters.

  4. #4
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,948
    Quote Originally Posted by tekniq
    1. I noticed that there arn't any AMD CPU's in the mp3car.com store, is there a reason for that? Like do they perform better when shaken and under cold temps?
    AMDs work just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallh
    1. You don't see AMD cpus in the store because they draw tons of power. Most people use VIA Mini-ITX mobos because you can easily get an OPUS pwoer supply for that low-power motherboard.
    Your setup is going to draw tons of power, good luck finding a power supply that will run all of it.
    Bull****. Someone here is running an AthlonXP T-bird 1800+ off an Opus 150w with no problems.
    You can also go with an AthlonXP Mobile CPU if you can find one. That's my solution.

    2. Do I need to be concerned with extreme cold temps? Like with the screen or maybe the HD?
    Yes, you do. Extreme cold temps will affect the HDD. Basically the platters can't spin until it warms up enough to make the fluid around the bearings viscous enough for operation.
    Some people have had some issues with LCDs int eh cold, but I don't know what they are. Search the forums to see what others have encountered.

    Again, bull****. I've already stated the cold issue. Shaking a PC can cause any number of components to come loose from a keyboard to a CPU. If the motherboard has a bad solder point somewhere, a capacitor or something could come loose as well.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallh
    3. Could you elaborate a little more on what you mean by 'filters'?
    Like when you run wiering for sound system somtimes you gotta put filters to distort the noise on the line.

  6. #6
    Newbie FoRNiK8ToR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by tekniq
    Like when you run wiering for sound system somtimes you gotta put filters to distort the noise on the line.
    I assume you referring to things like hi-pass and low-pass filters? In which case that's generally handled by the amplifier to modify the sound quality to the way a user likes and pass appropriate signals to the right speakers (ie blocking high frequencies when going to a sub). It sounds like you want to just slap some random RC filters on some random wires? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that on any wires between any of the components in a sound system (battery, head unit, amps, speakers, etc). Likewise, for a carPC, I don't think you'll need to worry about any filters.

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate pirate_king00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    125
    OK, I live in ohio and my pc has been in my truck for over a year. The only problem I have with the cold is that the xenarc takes a bit to warm up, dont get me wrong it does power up but the color is distorted until the monitor warms up.
    Now in regards to processor, dont get mis-lead. You can pretty much run anything you want, if the processor draws alot of power you can go with inverter, and if you wire the system up right you will not get any noise. This has worked great for me over the last year. However I am switching to use carnetix 1900 powersupply to power my 3.4ghz P4. The reason being is I want to utilize the hybernating so I dont have to power down the carpc everytime I turn off the engine.
    So good luck with the quest of running a computer in the car, it is a great solution, and works great once you have it installed correctly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •