Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: wiring a relay please help

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    135

    wiring a relay please help

    I am trying to wire a relay into my 2004 WRX to cut power off to my trunk release solenoid when my ignition is on. The reason I am doing this is to keep the trunk from accidentally opening during idle or while driving. I have bought 2 relays; 1 simple automotive relay and the 2nd is a like 2 regular relays in 1(poles 1 and 5 are connected until power to pole 3 switches pole 5 from pole 1 to pole 3 and the same thing on the other side). Can you guys please help me figure out how to wire this thing in? I can get it to work with the automotive relay but power is still on during ignition.

    I have also thought that there might be a wire that fits my needs but have not been able to think of what the wire might be connected to on my car. Would the Acc on my ignition work for providing only 12v when my car is off but not when the car is running?

  2. #2
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by 04scooby
    I can get it to work with the automotive relay but power is still on during ignition.
    Check to see if you can tap off of a power plug. In some cars (possibly yours) the power plug/cigarette lighter is OFF unless the car is running or the key is turned to the accessory position.

    BTW, why does it matter if it is still on during ignition? That lasts maybe 2-3 seconds?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    135
    sorry let me correct my post, It needs to be off while the car is running.

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate gameboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by 04scooby
    I am trying to wire a relay into my 2004 WRX to cut power off to my trunk release solenoid when my ignition is on. The reason I am doing this is to keep the trunk from accidentally opening during idle or while driving. I have bought 2 relays; 1 simple automotive relay and the 2nd is a like 2 regular relays in 1(poles 1 and 5 are connected until power to pole 3 switches pole 5 from pole 1 to pole 3 and the same thing on the other side). Can you guys please help me figure out how to wire this thing in? I can get it to work with the automotive relay but power is still on during ignition.

    I have also thought that there might be a wire that fits my needs but have not been able to think of what the wire might be connected to on my car. Would the Acc on my ignition work for providing only 12v when my car is off but not when the car is running?

    umm...how often does this happen, i mean, the trunk popping open when driving down the road? have u investigated to see if it is a mechanicial problem or an electricial problem, before you start hacking up the cars wiring harnesses?

    95 Mazda Protege LX
    Worklog
    Overall [Project Dead] 0%

    2003 Nissan Altima
    [XXXXXXXX--] 80% Planning
    [XX--------] 20% FABRICATION/INSTALLATION

    Worklog

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    56
    In a standard automotive SPDT relay there are 5 pins. 85,86,87,87a,30.

    To do what you want do the following:

    Connect ground to 86, Connect ignition or accessory (any switched 12v) to 85. Cut the wire that powers the trunk solenoid (or whichever wire you're trying to disable when idling) and connect one end to 30 and the other to 87a.

    The result will be when the car is off 30 will be connected to 87a and the trunk will work. When the car is on 30 will be connected to 87 (which is not connected to anything) and the trunk will not pop.

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Los Angles
    Posts
    194
    scoob this

    (the 2nd is a like 2 regular relays in 1(poles 1 and 5 are connected until power to pole 3 switches pole 5 from pole 1 to pole 3 and the same thing on the other side). )

    dosen't mean anything to someone that knows what they are doing the terms you should be using are Common terminal normaly closed terminal and normaly open terminal if you use the proper terms it is much eaiser for us to help you

    below is schmatic of the circuit you need to cut the trunk release when the ING is on

    the relay is a bosch style automotive relay you can get one for about $4 at a stereo shop

    you will need to find true ING at the ING switch it's the wire that still has power when the ING switch is in the ING and start posistions connect this wire to terminal 85 on the relay

    cut the wire from the cars BCM that goes to the trunk release motor and connect one half of the wire to terminal 30 of the relay and the other half of the wire to terminal 87a on the relay

    connect a wire from terminal 86 on the relay to ground

    your good to go
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by sgf323
    In a standard automotive SPDT relay there are 5 pins. 85,86,87,87a,30.

    To do what you want do the following:

    Connect ground to 86, Connect ignition or accessory (any switched 12v) to 85. Cut the wire that powers the trunk solenoid (or whichever wire you're trying to disable when idling) and connect one end to 30 and the other to 87a.

    The result will be when the car is off 30 will be connected to 87a and the trunk will work. When the car is on 30 will be connected to 87 (which is not connected to anything) and the trunk will not pop.
    well I need to wire my keyless entry into that somewhere. When I press the button twice on my remote the trunk pops. I need to wire a constant 12V and a switch into there somewhere. how would I do that?

Similar Threads

  1. StreetDeck Functions
    By god_of_cpu in forum DigitalMods (Scripts / API)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 10:44 PM
  2. relay wiring help
    By rossco in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
  3. Wiring, fuse, amp, relay questions
    By Vee24 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 07:03 PM
  4. relay wiring
    By nsmoller in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 10:31 PM
  5. Will someone help me program my relay control module
    By cproaudio in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2002, 04:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •