BMW E39 carpc questions (Europe)
I'm going to build me a carpc too :) but have some questions...
Have a BMW 523i E39 early 1999 version with standard radio/tape+cd changer with DSP.
I see a lot of nice hardware gizmo's but when trying to find out if it'd work :google: I get confused coz of the multitude of answers and frontends. Some guys say it works perfectly and others are ******ing that it's worth ***** :nutz: or that it's not supported, etc...
What would I want to have in my Carpc all in 1 nice frontend:
- radio RDS/TP (FM) maybe even DAB
- mp3 :rolleyes:
- Navigation GPS for EU with TMC and Radar information (+ max speed indicator)
- Phone integration (Nokia 9500, already have BT carkit from nokia)
- Ibus or whatever it is called to check the car diagnostics and fiddle with the controls
- maintain the steering wheel controls
- rearview camera (later on front view as well)
- Video+TV (mpeg, divx, etc...) DVB would be nice
- GPRS+WiFi browsing :p
- VGA Touchscreen (8" if it would fit)
- Access control (password or something)
- Voice interaction
- NES emulator for me (and maybe the kids :lol: )
- Outlook calendar
- rain/light/temp sensors
- Additional gelpack battery (don't wanna drain my main battery)
- iDrive kinda button to scroll thru menu's
- SOS function (automatically dials emergency service nr with current position and identification of vehicle)
- .... (I'm open to suggestions :rolleyes: )
Now the big question is what would work on 1 frontend and what do I need hardware wise.
I have bought this little gizmo "Car2PC-BMW" http://www.indashpc.org/new/adapters/usbbmw.html so to have a clear audio signal without the need to buy a new amp/crossover/etc...
Currently I have an ATX pc
- P4 2.6
- Asus P4P800-E Deluxe mobo
- 1 Gig of memory (2x512MB)
- 3.5" HD 80GB
- USB BT dongle v1
- PCI WiFi Belkin G
- 2 x 5.25" CD/DVD drives
- VGA Asus N6200 AGP
Can I use anything of this pc or do I just sell it and buy an ITX/Pico carpc like the VoomPC (black edition) case with Epia mobo?
The TFT I have in mind is an 8" widescreen but I'm not sure if I can fit it coz it is so close to the max height, I know there is someone who makes one hell of a nice bezel for the 7" liliput screens but it seems so empty with all that unused space :o The specs are here: http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/550
Can anyone verify if it would fit?
Thanks & dudes your projects look awesome!
Here is my quote: '