Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: standard IDE HDD's

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    12

    standard IDE HDD's

    whats everyones views on using these in incar pcs?

    Ive been reading up on the fact if you have them on the side there's going to be less chance of the drive dying. Is this true? Admitidly I drive like im always in a rally so my car flys round the corners.

    I'm tempted to go for the 2.5" slim drives, but if the 3.5" will be fine then these would be a cheaper option for me.

  2. #2
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    It's all inconclusive.
    I have a 3.5" maxtor in my truck right now. I think you'll be just fine.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #3
    Newbie ~Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    51
    I've got a 3.5" HDD and it seems to be fine. It's mounted on the side because it was easier for me to do that, but yes it is better for the HDD too in theory (not proven, nobody wants to kill their hard drives apparently)

    Basically when mounted on the side there's less chance of the head that reads off the disk coming into contact with it.

    We went into it in some detail over at www.digital-car.co.uk/forum - but can't find the thread for the life of me!


    (I guess I've got 5 posts now)

  4. #4
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by peteoc View Post
    whats everyones views on using these in incar pcs?

    Ive been reading up on the fact if you have them on the side there's going to be less chance of the drive dying. Is this true? Admitidly I drive like im always in a rally so my car flys round the corners.

    I'm tempted to go for the 2.5" slim drives, but if the 3.5" will be fine then these would be a cheaper option for me.

    No evidence that orientation matters.
    Also no evidence that 3.5 vs 2.5 matters either.

    Mount it firmly in place.

    My 3.5 maxtor has been in a couple of car accidents... still going fine.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate TheLandYacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
    No evidence that orientation matters.
    Also no evidence that 3.5 vs 2.5 matters either.

    Mount it firmly in place.

    My 3.5 maxtor has been in a couple of car accidents... still going fine.
    so you're saying that you've been in a couple of accidents since installing your carpc...Are you watchin yer carpc screen too much?


  6. #6
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandYacht View Post
    so you're saying that you've been in a couple of accidents since installing your carpc...Are you watchin yer carpc screen too much?


    Whatever, try an original line. The screen is off and stowed unless I am parked to change a play list.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

Similar Threads

  1. Slim dvd drive problems. JAE 50pin to IDE at fault?
    By 2k1Toaster in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 04:06 PM
  2. FS: (2) 60GB 7200RPM IBM Deskstar 3.5" IDE HDD's
    By hd54321 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 01:43 PM
  3. Longer IDE cables...
    By gizak in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 11:23 AM
  4. hooking up a notebook slim optical drive to a standard ide slot
    By schapman43 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:59 PM
  5. FS: 3x Slim DVD Drives with Standard IDE Connector
    By hevnsnt in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 10:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •