Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Please help...brand new system and no picture

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15

    Please help...brand new system and no picture

    Ok, I must first say that I have ed and still need help. I have been reading these forums for many months (actually over a year by now) and was inspired to build a system. I have built multiple computers, so I am not a true noob, but this one has me stumped. Here is what I have

    c-134 case (using stock ps until I move to car)
    m10000 mb
    512 Ram - low profile
    dvd rom out of my old laptop
    12gb hd out of my old laptop (Both of these worked when I pulled them out)
    I read and reread the book as I installed and hooked up the wires and connections.
    I even called Casetronics to make sure I hooked the cables correctly to the hd and dvdrom (was not sure which one pin 1 was) I have really only build at and atx's.

    I turn on the machine and the power led comes on. The hd hits once and the dvdrom makes a odd little clicking sound. I tried rebooting without the dvdrom. Still no video. The fans spin as well.

    I hooked it up to several different monitors. AT LEAST I would have thought I would get the beginning of the bios.

    I really feel like I want to hurl after all that I have put into this and waited. I have been buying parts for over a year. saving money here and there and now this. Someone please save me from myself and help me begin trouble shooting it.

    Jason

  2. #2
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre7 View Post
    Ok, I must first say that I have ed and still need help. I have been reading these forums for many months (actually over a year by now) and was inspired to build a system. I have built multiple computers, so I am not a true noob, but this one has me stumped. Here is what I have

    c-134 case (using stock ps until I move to car)
    m10000 mb
    512 Ram - low profile
    dvd rom out of my old laptop
    12gb hd out of my old laptop (Both of these worked when I pulled them out)
    I read and reread the book as I installed and hooked up the wires and connections.
    I even called Casetronics to make sure I hooked the cables correctly to the hd and dvdrom (was not sure which one pin 1 was) I have really only build at and atx's.

    I turn on the machine and the power led comes on. The hd hits once and the dvdrom makes a odd little clicking sound. I tried rebooting without the dvdrom. Still no video. The fans spin as well.

    I hooked it up to several different monitors. AT LEAST I would have thought I would get the beginning of the bios.

    I really feel like I want to hurl after all that I have put into this and waited. I have been buying parts for over a year. saving money here and there and now this. Someone please save me from myself and help me begin trouble shooting it.

    Jason
    What is the "stock" power supply? Do you have a different AC-DC ATX PS that you can use? Try that.

    Also, check the capacitors on the MB. Check out www.badcaps.com for info.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15
    The stock ps is the one that came with the case. I have a dc-dc ps (m2-atx) for when I go to the car with it. I was leaving this one in while I installed os and all that good stuff, since I do not have a ac-dc converter.

    I do not have a spare ps around...in computers, but not spare, beside, I do not think I have adapters for hd and dvdrom.

    Thanks for the start in helping tho. I will check out the capacitor issue. I have never seen that brough tup here before... is that common?

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15
    NEW DEVELOPMENT. Just for giggles, I disconnected the hd and I got the bios...does this mean bad hd/incompatible. That seems illogical...

    Jason

  5. #5
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre7 View Post
    The stock ps is the one that came with the case. I have a dc-dc ps (m2-atx) for when I go to the car with it. I was leaving this one in while I installed os and all that good stuff, since I do not have a ac-dc converter.

    I do not have a spare ps around...in computers, but not spare, beside, I do not think I have adapters for hd and dvdrom.

    Thanks for the start in helping tho. I will check out the capacitor issue. I have never seen that brough tup here before... is that common?
    More common then you think. I wonder about it because I had a similar problem on some of my MB's, and a change of the caps did the trick. I had spinning fans, and no Video, with no POST. So, it jogged my memory.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  6. #6
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre7 View Post
    NEW DEVELOPMENT. Just for giggles, I disconnected the hd and I got the bios...does this mean bad hd/incompatible. That seems illogical...

    Jason
    Probably means a PS issue, either the HD is connected incorrectly, or you have exceeded the power rating of the PS.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15
    Cool, but now I have video...its odd. I disconnect the hd and power up and I get the beginnings of a boot. It gets to the detecting ide and reboots.

    Any ideas now?

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15
    Its a 60w power supply, BUT there is NOTHING on it beside the mb, dvd and hd. Cant see those pulling that much?

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    102
    Its certainly possible the PSU is too small. 60w is nothing. But heres what I would try.

    Un-plug the optical drive from the setup.

    Attach HDD to primary ide chain as the master device. Try booting.

    If you get the same thing, try flipping the ide cable over and try again.

    If still nothing, try to get your hands on a cheap power supply.

Similar Threads

  1. Planning system...q. about touchscreen
    By telekineticfool in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 05:03 PM
  2. No Head Unit System Questions
    By Eskimo Pie in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-30-2002, 10:11 AM
  3. Do I have HU or not? -- Factory Audio system
    By helloman in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-06-2001, 03:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •